Toddler Boy with Baby Doll

My one year old son is very interested in babies, barbies, and baby dolls. I was wondering if it is normal. He has a "glow worm" which he sleeps with. I wonder if I should get him a baby doll? Anyone run into this kind of situation?

I read the advise given. I will discuss it with my husband. If my son continues to be interested I will have to go to Wal-mart and get him a baby of his own. He already has pink chuck taylors. The kids of 2000, boys wearing pink and girls wearing camouflage. I thank you for answering my question.

Toys shouldn't be gender based. If he likes dolls right now then get him one.

My 11 year old still has a stuffed monkey he sleeps with and I don't see anything wrong with it. He's all boy, just nurturing.

Yes this is very natural and he will probley grow out of it.
My son who is now five, was about three or four and we had to buy him a brats doll. Mainly because he always saw his older sister with them. I did buy him both a female and male one. In your case though, i'd stick with the baby doll.. they make them male and female.
When i freaked out about this situation with my son, my mother asked me "Don't you want your son to grow up and be a good daddy someday?" so anyway, that was the end of that... i went and got him one. every child is different, but he should grow out of it.
good luck
chris

I agree that toys shouldn't be gender based. I have a 21 months old boy, and am due with our 2nd son in Aug. He had fun playing with & putting some dolls in a toy stroller at a friends house that has 2 older girls. I wanted to get my son a doll, so he could have his own baby, and learn how to help when his brother gets here. My husband had a fit! I told him having a doll isn't going to change him, he is ALL boy! I tought about him being mad a couple days later, and told him, if we were having a girl, would you not let her play with trucks, tools, or any boy toys, then why should it be different with a boy. I know it's hard for men to see their son's with a doll, but I think I'd rather him have a doll now, than when he's a teenager. If you husband still has issues, maybe do what I did, and flip the roles. Maybe in the end your son & mine will grow up to be stronger better men for having the chance to learn to play with a doll, and not having their imagination limited to just trucks.

Baby dolls look just like him! It's not only normal, it's great! There are actually some boy baby dolls (even anatomically correct ones . . .!) that he might like to interact with. Try to see this as an opportunity for your toddler to practice early "fatherhood" (nurturing). Toddlers of both sexes like and need toys from both "gender groups" and by age three they almost always start narrowing things down on their own. Something many feminists might not like to hear, but that's what many hears of caring for children in preschool and day cares has shown me . . . Hope this is helpful!
V. in Laramie

Don't worry about your little boy wanting a doll. It natural and normal for boys to play with dolls. How else will they learn to be daddys?

I have such a funny story about boys and dolls. When I had my third child I had 3 four year old children in my daycare (one being my own daughter.) I was nursing my infant daughter and I looked over on the couch. There was Cassie, Katie and Miles (the three little four year olds), all with their shirts up and dollys held up to their chests nursing them! It was so precious! Miles is "all man" today (this was 16 years ago!) So, don't worry about your boy and dolls.

My own son, who is now 10, also had a doll when he was little. It was a boy doll (Bob), but nevertheless, a doll. Good luck C.!

Don't worry. Both my sons played with dolls as much as they played with race cars & other "boy stuff" and my oldest has turned out to be a very loving father of three as well as a mechanic and my youngest son is trusted by several parents to babysit their young children and his goal is to become an electrician. It's just my opinion but if boys are kept from interaction with babies (whether it be dolls or real babies) then they grow up thinking that it's not "normal" to have caring feelings toward little ones. Let's face it this world needs more responsible caring fathers.

Hi, C. - unfortunately, our society dictates what is 'normal' for a boy and some people freak out at the thought that a boy might want a doll or like playing with them because it might mean they're a sissy or sexually confused...none of this is the case! When a child - male or female - plays with a doll, it's usually role play and they're taking care of a baby...and one day he may have a child so what neater thing than to nurture his love of children? My nephew had a doll that I gave him much to my brother's dismay and he LOVED that baby like it was a real baby then one day tired of it. Now, he is 18 (and very much a guy) and he is so wonderful with kids...I don't think there is anything wrong with boys who play with baby dolls...ultimately, you have to do what you feel is best.

I just wanted to add my .02cents worth- I have twins- 19 mo old- boy/girl.
My little girl couldn't care any less about dolls if she tried! She has never been "lovie-dovie" to anyone or anything- not a cuddler, etc. Used to hurt my feelings. My son on the other hand (I hear this is a real difference between boys/girls at infant/toddler ages) is a REAL cuddler- very huggable/lovable to me and anyone else, and LOVES to hug/carry around stuffed animals, and he has staked claim to all her dolls she has abandoned! He loves them! He will definitely make a good daddy one day!

1 / 3