Toddler Birthday Party Question.

Do you or "did you" have your infant/toddlers/older kids open gifts at their birthday party?

What do you typically do when the birthday child's mom chooses to add this as part of the fun?--Stick around or leave?

My son is 8, he's attended about a zillion parties in his life, but I've only seen kids "play" with the gifts at maybe 2. Usually, they are opened, oooooh'd and aaaaah'd over then they are packed into a car.

And I'm all for opening the gifts at parties--the kids LOVE to see their friend's reaction to the gift they picked out especially for him/her!

I stick around, but I would not expect my child to play with the gifts. I explain to my child that they do not belong to them and can only play with them if they are invited to.

we stay unless its a huge party with too many presents. then we just stay until our gift is opened and then head out. I don't let my kids touch the presents wrapped or unwrapped.

I normally stay until my gift is open depending on how the party is going.

But I do not let my kids start grabbing the gifts that are on the table/floor, I have seen it done with other kids and find it very rude of the parents to allow there children to do that.

lol, I just asked this question a week ago...
I am choosing NOT to have my son open his presents in front of everyone.. It's VERY time consuming, the other kids get bored, and too chaotic.. We always send thank you cards anyway~

It depends...If it is getting late no we don't stick around for the gift opening. The parties I've had for my kids we have not opened gifts in front of the other kids...No time and then didn't want to make kids sit around when they were too busy playing.

We don't, others do, I feel it's so hard for all the kids to watch the birthday kid to open presents with out helping or wanting to play with their gift. In the past we have watched as the birthday child get upset when someone touches or tries to help with the opening of the present. But that is just what we do.

I've only seen this once, with my goddaughter at her sleepover party. Her mother wanted her to share her toys, and there was one that she wanted to keep for herself. Her mother was okay with me just putting that one away for her. I think that it's understandable for the kids to want to play with whatever toys are out. I think that it is also understandable for the recipient to want to be the first to play with his/her own toys and to want to do it alone. (I actually think that it's rude for the parents of guests not to suggest to their little ones that they should give the recipient the option to share.)

1 / 3