Toddler Bed for an 18 Month Old? TOO SOON?!?!?!

I have been baffling my brain trying to figure out wether I should put my 18 month old son in a toddler bed? I would like to make a transition to get him out of a crib, but, like everything I have my concerns.

He sleeps throught the nights and he tends to stay in one place. How old was your child when they were put into a "big kid" bed?

My son is 38 months and still in his crib. I converted it to a toddler bed but he kept falling out. He moves too much at night. So I put the rail back on but in the lowered position so he can climb in and out easily. Since they love climbing, this couldn't be more perfect!

If he is fine in his crib and there is no other reason to, then leave him. The older the better because if he gets old enough to actually help make the choice himself, the more likely he will stay in bed throughout the night. My son didn't go into his big boy room/bed until 2 months before his third birthday. About a month before that, we took the side off his crib to get him use to that first. He has never gotten up in the middle of the night yet at almost 3.5 years old. He was so proud of himself when he started sleeping there because it was his choice. The only reason I even started attempting it at the age is because we have a baby due in August and I wanted him out of the crib for a long time before she came. worked like a charm! Good luck.

My son moved into a twin bed at 18 months, but that was more about his little sister being born at that time and me wanting to convert the nursery into her room. But he did GREAT. We put up the rails on the bed and he never fell out, didn't get out of bed but maybe a couple times. All in all a great transition during a really crazy time for him.

Every child is different. I would put it up and leave the crib up just in case it doesnt work out right away. My daughter was in a toddler bed around that age because we had a new baby coming, she did great with it.

If he sleeps good in it still and doesn't climb out of it then I would wait as long as possible. My son was a little over 2 and then he figured out how to climb out of it. Thats when I got a toddler bed so he couldn't hurt himself. Best of luck to you.

We ended up moving my son to a toddler "Race Car Bed" and out of his crib when he was about 20mths old because I was expecting our 2nd child and she was going to use the same crib. I wanted to give it enough time for him to get used to it. What was great about this bed (which we bought from "HomeDepot.com" is that you can start out using it with a crib mattress which sits down deeper into the bed still giving that edge on the side of the bed so they can't roll out. We are just now about to remove the crib mattress and replace with a twin mattress as he sleeps great in "big boy beds" now and he is just about to turn 3 !!

If he sleeps fine then let him stay in the crib until at least 2. My son was 17 months when I had to but him in a toddler bed because he was crawling out. I was worried he might hurt himself so I did the transition. I had to stay up about two nights in a row because he kept getting up, but after that he slept perfect and he still does today at 2.

We converted my sons crib to a toddler bed at 18 months and put up a 3/4 length bed rail so that he can get in and out on his own but still have the comfort of knowing he will not roll out of bed by accident. After the rail came off I took a thick comforter we no longer used, doubled it over, and place it along the length of the open bed so if he did roll out he would have a cushioned landing. We also have a gate that swings and locks to his bedroom so I do not have to worry about him wandering and it keeps our dogs from going into his room getting into his bed too.

1 / 3