Toddler (21/2) W/reoccuring Bloody Nose

My 2 1/2 year old daughter just started getting bloody noses now and then. They were just minor until last night. I woke up around 4am and saw a large blood spot (softball size) on the sheets. I became frightened because it looked as if it were all around her mouth which it was not. It just happened while she was sleeping sometime and I guess ran down her face. I contacted my doctor and they said there isnt much you can do unless it starts to happen alot. They sau=id to use some Vaseline and hopefully it will stopo once I am able to turn off my heat completely since that is very dry. I had a history of bloody noses when I was little (very bad bloody noses) but not this little. I just feel very worried 2 1/2 is so young! Any advice is very appreciated! Anyone else w/children that get bloody noses??

Well it has been 1 year later. The bloody noses stopped for that time, but guess what.....the heat is back on and last night the bloody nose again is back. It didnt last very long but it was a bad one! Soooo now I am on the search for the best humidifier that I can find. I am looking for a floor model for my downstairs. Any suggestions is really appreciated!

My daughter had them mild younger than 2 years old she was only about 18 months and hers became severe we were in and out of the er over it. Vaseline and have you tried running a humidifier?

Hi. My name is M. and my son suffers from the same thing! He actually started around 2 yrs. old. Last year he went to an E.N.T. and he suggested a nose cauterization. We went ahead and did it and it almost stopped them completely, for awhile. In the past couple of months he has started getting them more frequently and a little longer. It still is nowhere near what it once was. Before the E.N.T. we had been to see an allergist (who gave him Bacitracin to put in his nose) and his regular doctor and nothing seemed to help. They had him on things like Flonase, Nasonex and now singulair (although he was only found to be allergic to alternaria mold) but one of the side effects for the nasal sprays is, yup, you guessed it, bloody noses! Talk about frustrating! Add to that he started getting major sinus infections at around the same time he started getting his nose bleeds, sometimes 4-5 or more in a year. I now have him on a homeopathic saline nasal spray. It is called Healthy Relief Cold and Sinus Nasal Mist and is non-habit forming. He can use it as often as he needs to and he's even used it to flush out his nose when his bloody nose is just about done. I don't know why it helps/works but it seems to really help him. I just keep a good supply of hydrogen peroxide on hand for cleaning the blood off his clothes and bedding or whatever he might bleed on. I hope some of this helps and I wish you the best of luck! If you want to "vent the frustration" you can e-mail me anytime. Believe me, I know what you're going through. Keep smilin'!

Take her to the doctor or the hospital. she may need some medicine. My oldest son had this happen and he passed a huge clot one night and I took him to the hospital and he needed medicine and then it cleared up right away. I can't remember what it was though.

Is there any chance you (or she) may be allergic to milk? NOT lactose intolerant but allergic to the milk protein. Any severe headaches ever accompany your nosebleeds?

My boyfriend has had these symptoms since childhood and I don't know why no one investigated further then but he is allergic to milk and milk products or anything with milk proteins (i.e. - most cold cuts). Once we removed these from his diet his nosebleeds are rare (3-4 a year vs. 3-4 a week) and all headaches are either obvious stress, pollen allergies, or he had a sub for lunch.

Just an idea....

My oldest son is 6 and he has been getting bloody noses during the night for a long time now. I don't remember what age they started. The dry air definately contributes, and there really is no cause. Your daughter most likely inherited this from you. I don't know what you mean about using vaseline, but there really isn't anything you can do. She'll eventually out grow it. Plus it's warm enough now that you can turn off the heat. You could get a cool mist humidifer and run it in her room every night. That helps my son sometimes, but not always.

If it's from dryness, why not get a humidifier? You could even do steams, which is boiling water, pouring it into a bowl, and letting her breath in the steam directly. My 2 1/2 year old and I did steams all winter. We put in eucalyptus leaves and/or lavender flowers or essential oils because they have some healing qualities and smell good. Just make sure her face is not too close to the steam because it gets hot.

All of my pillows are stained...the bathroom rug is dotted. Sometimes they wake...sometimes not, and they are 10-12-14 now. They never bleed out! I use polysporin on a q-tip in very dry weather with relief. W.

Hi K.! When I first moved to NY a few years ago I started getting bloody noses. My husband and I lived in Florida and of course the humidity is much higher there. I started sleeping with a humidifier on every night. This solved the problem until my nose was able to adjust! I did this for almost a year. Heat played a major role as well and it takes any moister out, so I would definitely keep that off if I were you! Hope this helps:)

Don't worry. My son, also 2, always gets bloody noses here and there. It's completely normal for small children to get them. They're just more sensitive to dry heat/air than we are. Besides vaseline, you can just get a small humidifier for your daughter's room. Just put it on for a few hours when you put her down to sleep. It'll let steam out so the air won't be so dry in there. It should help. Good luck.

1 / 3