To Walk or Not?

My husband and I were just discussing my MBA and how I need to petition to graduate this April...YAY!!!

So he asked me if I was going to walk. I said no and he was shocked.

I got my undergrad in 2004 the same way I am doing my MBA from the same school, 100% online, I didn't walk for my undergrad because I had just had my second baby (he's 6 now!!). There is no real reason I can't go walk with this one - other than the fact that I don't really KNOW anyone I am going to school with and we live in MD...so it's a hike up to NH.

Would you walk?

(This degree means a lot to me because it is kicking my tail. I spend countless hours on the computer that my kids even know M. has homework. But I like that they see the effort it takes to get what you want. The time it is taking away from my family is hard on me, but I know the end result is worth it. So do I go walk and show my kids and hubby? Or just have the degree mailed to me?)

What would YOU do?

Some of these responses brought tears to my eyes. I will really have to think about it. It is a huge accomplishment for me to have this (considering everything) and it would be great for the kids to see me walk. But I hated walking even in HS....lots to think about.

Thanks as usual, mamas!

I'd definitely walk. I would have walked for the BA too. But that's just me. My hubby would rather die than walk LOL

I'm back in school myself and I can tell you this ... it'll take a LOT to keep me from walking when I get my degree(s). Only way I'm not walking is if I'm in a coma.

I went back to college several years later. I walked when I received my BS. I'm so glad I did! My kids and all my family came to graduation. It was so very special and my kids got to see what M. was working so hard for. When they called my name, my group yelled and hooted. The President of the University said "wow, you must be very loved". My daughter told me she was going to college the "easy" way. I asked her what that was and she said "right out of high school, with no kids or husband". She graduates in May 2012 with her BS with no kids and no husband!

I think its important for the kids to see what hard work does especially in this day and age. Congratulations!!!!

Walk - spend the night in a nice hotel...have a nice dinner out...enjoy it you have worked hard!!!!!!

Walk, your children will have a beautiful and proud memory of their mom being recognized for her hard work. Education is very important. Your children will get to see one of the rewards!

GIRL FRIEND!! WALK!!! I'll be there!!! I'll cheer you on!!! WALK!!! You earned it!!!!

Do the Walk and make a mini family vacation out of it. It'll be a lovely memory :) Congrats!

It's a long way, it's expensive, and it's time-consuming.

But if I were you, would I walk? You bet!

Let your children SEE you receive your degree. The visual impression will stay with them and it may help them want to earn a degree of their own one day. Celebrate! Make it a mini-vacation if you can.

In 2000, when my younger daughter graduated from college, the "regular" students received their degrees with due appreciation from the audience. Then degrees were awarded to the "non-regulars" (I don't remember what the division was really called), the folks with jobs and families who had been spending nights and weekends taking courses and studying. They each received applause, screams, hoots, hollers, and anything else you can think of from their "fan clubs" - family members, friends, neighbors, strangers. Even when there were just a few fans, they were joyful and noisy! I remember one little toddler running down the aisle to hug her daddy as soon as he stepped off the stage with his degree in his hand.

Give your children (and yourself) the experience. Hike up there... and walk! That's my vote.

WALK!!! How totally freakin' AWESOME for your kids to see that!! I think it will feel good to you too--especially since it is kicking your tail!!

I WOULD TOTALLY WALK!!! YEAH YOU! For all the reasons that you said...it was tons of hours, it was homework, it was a lot of effort, your kids can see you get the end result. I say, WALK!
Good job!

I really don't know what to say, but I will say, that when my daughter finishes her doctorate from Johns Hopkins, I sure hope she walks! We're going to try just about ANYTHING to go and watch... and money sure isn't plentiful for us right now, so I'm now sure how we're going to do it..... (We live in Texas, so the trip will be expensive for us....)

I realize there are also costs involved for her (cost of the gown, and such), but I, as her mom, really want to go see that!

1 / 3