To Find Out or Not to Find Out (The Sex)

I'm on a roll with questions the past few days :)

We have one boy and one girl already. We found out the sex with both of them. With this pregnancy being such a huge surprise and shocker, I have been throwing around the idea to not find out the sex of this baby. Hubby is NOT on board with this, only because he says I am a control freak and have to have things planned. He thinks I couldn't last without knowing. He is probably right. Plus, he wants to know the sex.

I don't see my OB for another 2 weeks, but after talking to him on the phone we are thinking I am due on 1/1/12. Which means I will be having my ultrasound very soon and we need to make this decision.

If you or someone you know hasn't found out the sex how did they get ready for baby? I will have no problem finding a gender neutral car seat and play yard, but I have been online browsing for clothes for a few days and they are all full of ducks ,YUCK!

I think it is going to be harder than I thought to prepare for a surprise baby.

Yes, we do have a boy and a girl. But in June we donated EVERYTHING we had been saving for our third child because we were told it was going to take fertility drugs for me to get pregnant and we were just not ready for that step. Apparently God has other plans for us. :)

I was on the fence with this, but I think you all have helped me to decided that I really do want to wait.
Like some of you said, I will not regret waiting, but may regret finding out. Thanks again for all the great answers!!!

We had a boy and girl when we were pregnant with # 3. We chose not to find out. It was AWESOME! The best experience every. With the other 2 I felt like I created a personality to them once I knew there gender. With baby # 3 when she was born it was this really awesome feeling of like "I am really meeting you today... wow... who are you? and I can't wait to find out who you are". It was great.

I highly recommend it!

As far as getting ready - wait till baby is born and then go shopping. Thats what we did and at least for us, going out with a newborn was no big deal. We totally relaxed by the 3rd :)

We didn't find out with either. We painted the rooms white, hum drum!! But it was so suspensful waiting for the doctor's announcement!! We loved it!!

I highly recommend it!

I would highly recommend not finding out, we didn't with any of our 3. We had two boys, and the last was a girl and was a huge huge surprise. Don't you already have clothes for a boy or a girl since you already have one of each? If you don't, you can always just get some white onsies, and then wait till it's born to buy more. I had a bunch of neutral stuff, but once I had that girl there was no way I was not going to put her in all pink and purple. I took back a bunch of the neutral stuff I received, and returned it for pink. There are so few surprises anymore in life-people find out the sex, then have a name all picked out, get a 3D sono to see exactly what they look like... it's the best surprise ever to go through all of labor and then find out if you have a new son or daughter.

i didn't find out and loved it....i would opt to not find out again...you don't get many suprises once you're older...and as far as clothes, yellows and greens and you already have one of each so if hand me downs are ready just wash a little of each

FWIW - I didn't find out the sex for any of mine (4). I was pleasantly surprised with all of them! I'm not a duck fan either so I stuck to greens and whites with some denim thrown in the mix. I was out and about as soon as I was released from the hospital and picked up anything I needed. I was also given so many things once everyone else found out! Keep it a surprise - so much more exciting the whole way through!! : )

We did find out with our first, but I've had several friends who haven't. I was on the fence about knowing, but my husband really felt like he wanted to have a better idea of what to expect to help him feel closer to the baby. We bought most things gender neutral anyway because I plan to have more and didn't want to buy everything new again. If you decide not to find out, just get some plain onsies and sleepers and people will buy you the pink or blue when the baby comes.

Don't find out! Since this is likely your last baby, and you found out with the first two, make it a different experience and save that piece of excitement for the delivery room.

Borrow some clothes from friends that have babies so you can have gender-specific stuff for both boys and girls. We also had plenty of gender neutral stuff that is not ducks (teddy bears, lots of different zoo animals, ABCs, stripes, etc). Try to borrow lots of baby gear, too - pack n plays, bouncy chairs, etc.

Also, remember - little girls can wear blue!!

Congrats and I say be surprised. :D

We just had our surprise gender baby and we LOVED not knowing! It was so much fun. I don't think you'll regret keeping it a surprise. Just buy a few white onesies for the first few weeks and you can get everything else later.

I didn't find out with either - and ended up with two boys. We painted our nursery a bright yellow and did a Noah's ark theme that was very gender neutral. I could have done purple or pink accents if we had a girl but did blue with my oldest and then kept the blue for my baby.

My pack n' play and travel system were a cool gender neutral green / brown that worked well in my house also.

Clothes - well, I had very little in the way of clothes for my firstborn. Just a few gowns / onsies in white, green and yellow and then got clothes as gifts. I actually got so many clothes as gifts that the only thing I bought him myself was his christening outfit. Literally, didn't buy anything until we were out of 18 month size clothes.

For my second born, I had some of my firstborn's clothes ready to go - in newborn size. My second born came out wearing 3 month size clothing but as it turns out, he was another boy. I figure if he had been a girl, then everyone we know would have gone out to buy something pink!

You don't need that much with a new baby and have plenty of time to shop after baby is born. I am glad we did the surprise both times - a baby is god's greatest gift and it was fun to be able to tell everyone, "It's a boy and his name is XXXX".

Cheers! C.

1 / 3