To Eliminate the Home Phone Land Line or Not?

Ok Moms, my husband wants to get rid of our land phone line. We really don't use it much. Our internet is on a cable line. So, I'm not sure why I'm so hesitant to get rid of it. My kids are 4 & 6 so their friends moms call my cell to set up playdates. I don't plan on giving my kids their own phones for a few years. Just looking for others opinions. Also, any feedback on Magic Jack... Thanks!

I have kept mine for international calls, babysitters and emergency calls. I had my phone die on me once and had to reach my husband. I understand the desire to eliminate, but I can't do it yet either.

Well personal I am not much of a cell phone mom. I like my home phone I guess its just personal choice. Plus can you list cell phone's in the yellow pages?

I have not had a land line for almost 10 years. Its not a hard step to do and its one less bill. you can do it!

the bottom line answer for this is that you need a landline phone for 911. When 911 is dialed it is immediately routed to the closest area code. So if your in a neighborhood and dial it you will get the closest police station. If your using a cell phone you get whatever area code it is and then you get rerouted to whatever it is. which takes time. It is frustrating but there it is. We moved literally 6 blocks and had to change all of our phone numbers because the city changed from montgomery to oswego. and this was how they explained it to us. When we asked about just using our cell phones and getting our old number put on the cell phone they said we could do it but then told us about the 911 stuff.

if you do just make sure that your cell is always charged and that the kids know where the phone is and how to use it. You want them to be able to dial 911 in case of emergency.

Also consider that you will always have phone calls no matter where you are. So, if someone is calling for your 6 yr old (school friends) and all you have is the cell number and you are out shopping you'll want the phone with you, but that will be the number people know to call so you will get the phone call even if the 6 yr old isn't with you. So, you may need a separate cell phone to be the home base cell. Not sure if that made sense - so let me give an example.
You are out of town for hte weekend, and of course you take your cell with you so your dh and the kids can get ahold of you you. Your daughter knows that ###-###-#### is your phone number so that is what she gives to friends. Her friend sally calls to talk to her, dialing ###-###-#### and you answer. You then have to make another phone call to let Dad know that Sally wants to talk to your daughter. So instead of having a nice quiet weekend away you are dealing with phone calls that you shouldn't have to.

Our security system, including the smoke detectors, require a land line. Also, on occasion, our cells have not worked when needed(tower repairs?).
I got the $24 plan, which is the cheapest UNLESS you qualify for a low income plan then you get basic service for around $7.

I have to agree w/ those who said to get rid of it...we finally did it and are saving money each month. We did add a 3rd cel phone to our plan to have as our "house phone". (which my daughter uses for her friends, instead of tying up my phone, but she knows it gets left at home if necessary.) It costs us a small additional cost each month on our cel bill, but we NEVER used our land line, and usually got a lot of telemarketer calls. My phone is always out, since I run a home daycare...it is always on and always w/in reach of me and I have never had a problem. Depends on what you are comfortable doing...sounds like, since you have younger kids who may not know how to use a cel, that maybe you could wait a few years...good luck!

its always good to have a landline. Just get the cheapest one out there, I pay 10 bucks a month. I can only call locally, but hey, if the satellites go out and your cell isnt working, its always good to have the land line for emergencies. I use the land line number for a call back number when I dont want someone having my cell number. Besides, you just may need to dial 911 some day and walk away from the phone.

We got rid of our home phone some time ago. I miss the security of having the land line in cases of emergency. There was a time when we called an ambulance and it took them over 15 minutes to get to my house, with the address and directions. When we had a phone line and called before they had some sort of link to find it and were there in a lot less time.

I am otherwise happy with our decision, the extra money we save by disconnecting DSL and other services gives up over $100 a month for other things. We get SSDI so we can qualify for low income phones so I am thinking of just getting the $1.99 phone line in the house. We use the cells for long distance and any other calls we need to make that would cost.

1 / 3