To Early for Training Bra??

My oldest daughter is 7.5 and my youngest just turned 6. For some insane reason they both have it in their minds that they need to start wearing a training bra. I know that my 6 year old is not ready, that's for sure. However, I don't remember real well how my parents knew it was time for me to start wearing them - I was told it was time, and I did. So, how do I know when it is time for my daughters to begin wearing a training bra? Is there any harm in letting the oldest start wearing them when really there doesn't seem to be a need. Both girls have lumps where her breasts will be, nipples are not any more formed then they have ever been. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you all so much for your feedback. Talking with my husband last night he said it was my choice - he didn't want any part of the "female" decisions - either he's being "very male" (not normal for him) or he just doesn't want his daughters to grow up, I talked with some other friends. I've decided that I will pick up my oldest daughter a couple training bras this weekend, they're cheap enough at Target for a two pack. However, the youngest one is just going to need to stay young for a little while longer. I know that she's no where near being ready, and if either one are like me the oldest will be ready before I know it - so...

Just my two cents, if they want to feel like a grown up what harm is in it? Sooner or later they'll need them. If they're too young the novelty will wear off, if not they;ll feel more comfortable. We mom's have to be the bad guy so often, this is one where you can be wonder woman. Again just my opinion, do what you feel is right. Good luck!

You could start off by buying cami's with the 'build in bra'... totally appropriate for that age (and you won't feel like they're growing up too fast!)

My BFFs daughter is overweight and desperately needs to wear a bra. She's 10. My girlfriend and I went out and bought her a few pretty training bra's... but her daughter hates them! She's always taking them off... I wish more young ladies WOULD wear training bras if they need them!

What is the harm? You can get athletic type bras and if they want to start, why not? You are not talking a Victoria Secret push up or something like that.

A lot of little girls may not "need" the bra and may want to be like mom.

As a teacher, I have seen plenty of 1st graders who NEED a bra and it is sad that the parents just don't do it because of the age.

Be open and communicate with your girls and keep those lines of communication wide open. You'll be glad you did when they become teens, etc.

it's more a "fashion" thing...than a developmental thing for girls today.

No harm in it......

This recently came up with my 6 year old as we were shopping in the girls dept. at kohls and she spotted a rack of really cute bras. She asked, Can I get one of these? And I just told her that she doesn't need one yet, but we will get her one when she's a little older. I plan to wait until closer to puberty when she starts to develop and actually needs one.

When they need the extra layers to protect their budding modesty. Boys can be cruel when the girls nipples start poking and showing. If they want bras buy them some sports bra types and let them were them as if they were just layers under tee shirts or tanks. That way no snaps to snap open or straps to flop around.

I started making my (now) 10 year old wear them when I could see her "nubs" through her shirts. I think it was around age 8 or so. I just bought her the sports bras, and a couple of the regular cotton ones with adjustable straps to wear with clothes that the sports ones didn't work with. Another option is the tanks with the shelf bra. At this point for us, its still just an extra layer so she's not "poking" through her shirts.

My daughter was 9 when she started developing nubs and my now 10 year old has nothing but sometimes will wear a tank topish type "bra" under things to be more modest. My first daughter mentioned wanted a bra at that same age as your girls so I got her one of those sports ones for little kids. But she soon realized how hot they were and didn't wear them again and then when she needed to, I had trouble getting her to wear them...LOL

1 / 3