To Combine Parties, or Not to combine...THAT Is the Question!

My daughter will be making her First Holy Communion on either May 7 or May 14 of 2011 (we'll know for sure which day it will be on as we get closer). Her birthday is on May 10. Now my dilemma is...do I have two separate parties? One for her First Holy Communion celebration and the other for her birthday? Or do I combine the two occasions into one party? If we decide to do two separate parties, how far apart should I plan them? A couple of weeks apart? First Communion celebration in May and birthday party in June? Her birthday parties are family parties, so, for the most part, it will be the same people attending each one. I think May is a busy month for people in general with graduations, First Communions, the end of the school year, etc, so I want to try to make this as easy as possible for us to plan and for the guests who will attend. We keep going back and forth on what we want to do. I know that we've got time to decide, but was hoping to get some suggestions.

I'd combine them. The people coming will enjoy coming to one, but may be annoyed having to carve out another weekend day so close together.

Kids don't expect a party for communion. But they do dream of birthday parties. It doesn't bother me to have one party. I DO think that the communion party should be the same day as her communion, so make the communion date as close to her birthday as possible. And send out "save the date" cards or emails for family and close friends for it.

Just know that not all the friends who are not part of your faith will necessarily come to the the communion. But make sure they know they are invited if they would like to come.

Have fun, and all my best for her communion.

any excuse to combine a party is great. My son turned 3 and my daughter had her baptism that day and we just combined the party. I would have been silly to invite the same people for another family party so soon after. We have a big family with lots of cousins and lots of siblings so we need to combine parties for convenience or we would have a family gathering practically every weekend.

Definitely combine the parties since they are family only. Its a busy time of the year and you don't want to take up 2 weekend days from people. Plus-it will be much easier for you! Do it on her communion day. If you want to celebrate her birthday also why don't you do a small one with some of her friends.

My first thought was to seperate them and have the birthday party in April but then I read your whole post and noticed that both parties would be family only so maybe combining them would work. I think if you combine them then each event wouldn't be as grand (for lack of a better word) as it would otherwise be. Each celebration wouldn't get it's fair hoopla. I like the idea of brunch for the communion (you could go right after church and I'm assuming all the family would be at church with you) and do a dinner or lunch for the birthday on another day. Everyone has to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner every day anyway. :-)

Two parties, at least 2 weeks apart.

I would combine the parties if you plan to invite the same people to both. Since it is such a busy time of year, people probably won't have time to commit to two events for the same people so close together. Plus, you will save a lot of money and stress by combining them. Make one big party and make it extra special. Congrats on her birthday and communion.

http://www.discoverytoyslink.com/karenchao - got kids? I've got toys! Make your holiday shopping easy by choosing Discovery Toys.

yeah, definitely a great idea to combine them. weekends are such precious times for so many families, so it is really a lot to ask for 2

1 / 3