Tlittle Girl Sizes - What's the Difference in 4 and 4T?

I'm looking ahead for fall for jeans, pants, etc. My daughter is in 3T right now, and I'm noticing that some stores offer both 4T and 4. What's the difference? My DD has a small waist and no behind and often needs pants with elastic in the waist (the adjustable kind) to keep them up. Are 4T wider, kind of like 24 mo. vs 2T?

So is 4 after 5T? I do realize by now that all sizes are different (took SD to try on prom dresses and she was a completely different size than she expected) depending on the brand, but it sounds like maybe they start over like in shoes where you get back to 1s, but they are bigger than the 8s for toddlers.

I "get" that T might be for diapers in the lower ranges, but 4T and 5T? Really? And 2T is more trim than 24 months, which I believe is the whole diaper thing. It's all very silly.

Often the toddler sizes have extra room for heavier toddlers. A little girl who is normal size should be able to wear either sizes but with a thin one I would skip the toddler sizes now and go straight to the girls wear department. My girl went from 3T to 4 slims in the girls department for jeans but they were a bit longer. So we rolled them up the first 6 months. Then the sizes fit her all the time. Jeans we go to the girls department.

The only thing I would say is that the baby/toddler department clothes are usually cheaper so when it comes to summer shorts and tees, some cute little dresses or outfits, we always stay in the toddler department as long as possible. I can easily see my self spending $3.95 on a pair of Garanimals but not $12.95 for a pair of girls "cute" shorts.

From back in the day, (I'm a grandmother doing this a second time around) the "T" would indicate more room in the bottom and hips (or wider as you said) to allow for diapers, and there wasn't a size 5T.

But in the last couple of years I have seen there is no difference, it just seems to be how they label the sizing on clothing. I have held 4's and 4T's next to each other and there is absolutely no difference. I like Carter's, Gymboree and Crazy8 for my guy, most of the shorts and pants have adjustable waists, and they do the same for girls.

And, no, 4 comes BEFORE 5T. The basic measurement you need to concentrate on for your daughter is height...Hanna Andersson only uses height to determine sizing and it works. That's why you go with elastic/pull-on waists and adjustable waists for thinner children or the brands that are made leaner.

4T is usually a bit wider, but probably shorter. 4 is when they are out of diapers and/or they have lost the "baby chub".

5T is just an extension of the wider waisted pants.

Shirts in T are wider and shorter than shirts w/o the T. Same for dresses, I've noticed. My 4/5 wearer cannot wear a 5T dress anymore- the dress is too short.

I think I'm a good judge of this... I have four girls and also worked at a kid's clothing boutique:)

Hi AV-

My understanding is that the 't' sizes allow for more baby 'chubiness' and room for a diaper...the 'regular' sizes allow for more length in torso and legs...and not much roominess for a diaper.

Having said that...there is a lot of range from size to size in different 'lines' of clothes (maybe because many designers are young with no kiddos??? Or because the industry itself seems to have fuzzy 'standards'?)

If your kiddo is diaper free...maybe take her with and compare?

Sorry cannot be of more help!

Best Luck!
Michele/cat

The "T" means Toddler.
a size 4 will be longer/bigger than a 4T.
Not necessarily in the circumference of the waist.
Some brands, are more generous in the sizing. ie: Gymboree. Their sizes tend to be longer and wider.

If your child is more petite, then just get her a size that will fit. Not just per her age.
Maybe she still needs a size 3T?

I like Old Navy and Gap.
Their clothing has elastic waists and/or adjustable waist pants.
Also the store "The Children's Place."

The T's are basicly made for kids in pull ups so they are a little bigger.

There isn't much differene within the same brand and style. But if you are talking different brand or style, there can be a big difference between 4 and 4.

You may want to consider slims.

take a pair of pants that fit her now and take it with you when you shop. that way you can see the difference in pants. My son needs elastic in the waist to. We love the pants at kohls (the jumping beans brand) and the childrens place, which is more pricey but they fit great.

1 / 3