Tips on Hotel Stay with Toddler and Infant

Hi! I am looking for tips or advice on staying in a hotel with a 28 month old and 11 month old. We will be traveling by plane and there are lots of previous requests and great advice I got but I wanted to see if anyone had any tips on what to take as far as making a hotel stay more comfortable. Thanks so much for any help you can give!

I have called the hotel about a month or so before we left and told them that I was traveling with children and ask if they could upgrade us to a larger room. In Chicago the room was PERFECT! The kids had plenty of room to run around and play. My sister did the same thing once and got a room with two bathrooms!

If you are making reservations ahead of time, ask if they have cribs available and request one (or two, if your older son is still in a crib also) if they do. That makes things SO much easier. If you are able to take a playpen along with you if cribs are unavailable, that would also be helpful. If they have a fridge or microwave available in the rooms, get snacks and drinks to keep there with you. Think of what goes on at your house each night, any routines you have and whatnot, and try to plan accordingly as far as what is a necessity. Then find out what the hotel offers and get from them what you can. Many hotels have an onsite laundry facility, so that helps keep dirty clothes from piling up. You may also want to get one of the travel containers at WalMart that you buy empty (made for liquid soap or shampoo) and fill it up with dish soap to keep any bottles or sippy cups clean. Find out what kind of places will be nearby the hotel (within walking distance) so you'll know ahead of time if there are convenience stores in case you forget something. (You can go to Mapquest and type in where you'll be staying, and find nearby things that way. I hope you have a great trip and things go smoothly for you!!!

Clorox "anywhere hard surface" sanitizer! & a favorite blanket & cuddly. a collapsible thermal cooler pack, which will keep your drinks much longer...if there's no frig in the room. some favorite (small) toys OR surprise them with a few new ones...either route has worked for me.
We have also used a goody bag containing wrapped, inexpensive prizes to help span out the trip. This works great with older ages, too.

Take some things that they like to use at home that's not so bulky & uncomfortable to you. I don't know how long your going to be gone but TRY to get some things's that remind them of home.....favorite blanky, toys & etc. Good luck to you, pray & be BLESSED!

Take some of their favorite smaller toys. Color Wonder coloring books and markers are great as they don't stain and only work on the color wonder paper or my kids loved the magna-doodle at age 2. Take plenty of snacks. Most hotels have cribs available but if you have room you may want to bring your own pack and play especially if your baby is used to using it that would be something with familiar surroundings. We went on many trips and stayed in hotels when our kids were young. They always did well and they always loved the hotel experience. It's something new and a place to explore. We went exploring all over and let them walk down the halls, get the ice and most of the time we stayed where there was a pool so would spend as much time at the pool as we could. Most of our trips were so busy that we didn't have much time at the hotel to get bored. We were there to sleep and up early the next morning for the events we went on the trip for.

We have stayed at many hotels with our children in traveling ages 6, 3 and 2. Most places do have porta cribs you can use which helps, but they also might cost about $5-$10. We have found that it is so nice to stay at hotels that serve breakfast. (not just cheap junk like doughnuts and coffee) We love Holiday Inn Express. They will have belgian waffle makers and fruits and juices and milk. some even do buiscuits and gravy and fresh warm cinnamon rolls yogurts and more. They always have high chairs in the dining areas. We have stayed at many of their hotels in about 6 different states and they have all been a great experience. A few weeks ago we stayed at a Ramada and they had a very nice breakfast buffet that was included with the stay also. it just makes it so much easier to not have to get them in the car to find food somewhere else. A lot of places have a pool which is nice. I know a few years back we checked the regular rates then checked on a rate for a suite and were able to get a good deal because it was slower... but that was good because the oversized tub was just as fun for the kids as the pool and it was easier to contain them. One more thing I do is to pack just a hotel bag. If you aren't staying at the hotel the whole time and are going to stay other places... I mine and the three kids clothes in one bag for the night we would be in the hotel and carried just that and my toiletry bag in(which had everything else possible in it) That makes it easier than a bunch of bags. We also "kid proof" the room as soon as we get there... unplug phones move furniture if needed..... to get my kids to sleep we would sometimes cover the crib with a heavy blanket so it would be darker and block out a little noise, it helped some. I hope some of this helped... good luck! travelling is hard with kids to begin with but I know even harder at those ages.

Been awhile, but when my son was not quite 3 years old, we spent a month overseas, living out of hotels. The one thing I did NOT pack (looked at it, decided not to, and kicked myself the entire time for dumb last minute decision) was a little cheap inflatable ball (we had gotten one as part of Toy Meal from one of the restaurants in town and it would've been perfect) - was about maybe 4 inches in diameter, like little miniature beach ball, blow it up, push the stem in, when done, pull stem out and deflate it. As it turned out, we found one at a "Everything's A Dinar" store, like our dollar store, so it worked okay - but my son LOVED playing with it - was toddling over to pick it up and we'd throw it to him, and it was soft enough to not damage anything in the hotel room.

Another thing I DID do and was happy I did, was I packed a small bottle of Lavender essential oil - and would put some on my chest before I nursed my son and a little bit on his chest and nose area so he could smell it - helped him calm down and drift off to sleep. This would work with your infant too as I started this with my son in his infancy and still do it sometimes now that he's almost 10!!

You might need two of the balls just so the infant can have something he can look at, especially if it has a variety of colors - can be showing him the colors, shapes, designs, just things to talk about as well as to have the tactile experience holding something.

We went on a trip and stayed in a hotel for a week with my two girls who were 1 and 3 at the time. The BEST thing I took were beach balls - the smaller ones, about 6 inches. They can deflate and pack very small and then when inflated they can be tossed, kicked, rolled and not hurt anyone or anything!!!!! Again, my children are girls but those Mardi Gras beads kept them busy alot - they can wear them, make designs with them.... I also never leave home without my stacking cups - they are a little bulky bet since they nest together..... I actually got two sets because they were so popular. I'm sure there are other versions but mine are Discovery Toys ones - oh, yeah, plus you have a toy to pack that can double as a pool or tub toy:) Depending on where you are going you might want to see if there is a place that (yes, this sounds weird) rents toys. I have seen places in Florida and California that rent baby equipment and age appropriate toys. Linda

We are active duty military so we have had numerous stays in hotels and such with our children. Who are now 9 and 11, which I think is harder now then when they were older because they are always bored no matter how much junk we bring. When they are little you could bring different toys and snacks and they were happy. We traveled with a pack and play and if the airline allowed a double stroller. It made things easier. We would make a pallet on the floor for the older one and the younger one would go in the pack and play. Make sure you have their favorite movies because not all hotels have good channels and now since technology is better use a portable dvd player, we have used these on the plane so they could have something to watch and they could wear headphones so not to bother anyone else. Make sure you get their ears checked and make sure you have a sippy cup or pacifier for take off and landing because of the pressure. We found out the hard way our daughter had a severe ear infection, believe me I wasn't anyones favorite person on a 17hr flight that she cried all but 2 hours. On the plane depending on the time of the flight if you as for the seat where there is a wall infront of you (basically between 1st class and coach) they have these cardboard bassinet things for the babies to sleep in if they don't need a carseat on the flight. But just make sure you have activities like coloring books, crayons, books, stuff that you know they enjoy and is easy to pack around.

1 / 3