Time Out for a 3 Year Old

We just came home from the pediatrician (a new one) and she was telling me about trying time out instead of spanking. My question is how long would you do time out for? I know my mom used to do it with us, but of course I don't remember how long we had to stay there. Do you think it is appropriate to send her to her room for a while? I did that last night when she was really bad and it was already bedtime.

thank you all for your input, it has been considered and is greatly appreciated. today I did take her into her room when she got really whiny for no reason and I couldn't make her happy. I work at home, so I can't have a whiny child getting on my nerves and interfering with my work for too long. She came back out when she had adjusted her attitude and was much happier. We talked about the situation and we understand each other. She is the only one in the house and there are very few rooms in our house where she can go, so far that is working for us. She really never plays in there anyway.

They say one minute per year not to exceed 5 minutes. It seems to work for us anyway. As crazy as it sounds sending him to the corner for that length of time seems to work better than just sitting him in a timeout seat.

S.,
I have 3 children, 14, 12, 10. When I gave them time outs, I would use the rule of 1 minute for each year. Until they started school and learned to tell time, then it was generally 10-15 minutes.

A good way to stop them from asking, "can I come out now" is to use a timer. I used to set the microwave timer to beep when their time was up.

Please let me know if this helps.

My name is S. and I wanted to let you know I have a 2 1/2 year old boy and I use time-outs. What I read is that you do one minute for each year of age. So, I do 2 minutes for my son. I use a kitchen timer. Hope this helps.

I once had the same question so I asked my pediatrician and other mothers with children and always had about the same response being always add 1 min. to their age like when they are 3 you would put them in time out for 4 mins. and so on. But I found out for myself as they get older the things that they do get more naughty depending on the age of the child and the naughty thing that they had done and shouldnt have you sometimes need to up thier time a bit in order for them to learn thier lesson, Like my 9 year old likes to fight with her brother and sister over and over again and sometimes I give her time out for 15 mins. and like any other discplinary actions time out doesn't always work! But as a parent you eventually will figure out the right method of discpline for the action! Hope I helped a bit

Sometimes my husband and I have our 3 year old daughter stay in her room until she has calmed down, no matter how long that takes. She enjoys being in the same room for us, so it is part punishment, but we also realize that she simply needs to detach from the situation and unwind. We've found this way of using time-out works better than having her sit in a chair for 3 minutes; that doesn't help her at all.

Hi S.,I havent spanked any of my children for alot of pesaonl reasons but the time out was very effective.What i did was buy a small childs chair and a kitchen time.I explained to them that when they are naughty they get the naughty chair and have to sit in it for start off at 3 minutes.# minutes seems like forever ot them.Set the timer and explain that when the timer goes off you can get out.However also explain that if she gets out and doesnt sit there quietly she will have to stay in chair longer and add a minute.Make sure you explain why she is sitting in time out so she can understand what she did wrong adn she will understand the consequences.I hope its some help,H.

A LITTLE ABOUT ME:
32yrold work married work from home mom to 3 children ages 15,13 and 5

Personally my childrens personalities, (i have four) on one of them time out worked for. I took some parenting classes and of course they all emphasize time out but if you do do it it should be one min per year of age in this case 3 min, get a timer they can see and have designated place usually a stool or chair not a room . good luck

S.,

Please let me know if this helps.

They say the appropriate amount of time in time out is 1 minute per years old. I have a 2 1/2 yr old who now sits for 3 min though cuz 2 min is not enough.

1 / 3