Ties up Everything

So I'm not sure how many kids do this, but i'm sure there are some. My daughter is obsessed with tying up everything. If she ever finds a string, cord, shoe lace, etc. she will tie up her toys or her feet as a game. She is 3 1/2 years old and has done this since she was about 2. I don't know how to stop it. She doesn't hurt anything when she does it, she just has been destroying her shoes, headbands, shirts with ties, etc. I'm not a believer in just never having those things in reach, i've always just tried to divert the behaviors. She sometimes takes it too far and will tie something around her cat's neck as a leash. She has gotten in trouble for that, but how can I curb this or will she grow out of it? or i guess I also want to know if any other kids do this?

I'm just glad there are many kids out there that do this. I knew there had to be, just wanted reassurance, I guess. lol I think i'll just continue to talk to her about it and make sure she understands it can hurt the cats or herself. So I won't worry and I'll let her imagination grow. Thanks!

Hi D.... My kids from time to time enjoyed tying things up. finally, I got them a big box of all different types of string, rope, etc. and told them they could tie anything in that box up as long as they didn't tie it on their skin (like too tight to cut off circulation) and all pets were out of bounds. They loved it and eventually grew out of it.

bren

I guess I'm just hear to answer: Yes! My kids do/did it too. Mostly my boy, who is now 7, and still likes to tie things up! His forte is tying chairs together to make a train, or tying things to his doorknob to make a "trap," etc. So, I'm sure your girl is normal! You do need to make sure she is careful with the cat and not to tie things around her own neck. That is hard to monitor sometimes! Here is a funny story for you though... My son, probably several years ago, decided to tie his shoelaces to his chair during his children's portion of church. No one noticed until he started bobbing up and down and messing around with his chair trying to UNTIE himself. No one knew what he was doing, and so finally, the music leader asked him to come up and help her so he could relieve some of his "excess energy," only to find he was tied to his chair. His teacher tried and tried to untie him and didn't suceed, so they passed both him and the chair back to another teacher who finally untied his knots! I guess everyone got quite a laugh, and it probably taught him a little lesson too. Anyway, when the music leader related that to me, I had to laugh. The "tying" phase can be so annoying, but once in a while you get something to chuckle about. Good luck!

Hi D. - one of my daughters went through the same stage when she was around 5-6 and she grew out of it after about a year. She tied up everything! I was a bit worried at first that it might lead to more disturbing behavior, but it seemed she just needed to get it all out of her system. I let her tie anything she wanted except for people and animals and she was happy as a clam tying up all her stuffed animals and hanging them from the ceiling fan, etc.... haha! Honestly, how much fun is that to see your stuffies winging around when you turn the fan on? We have to be careful how much "adult" content we add in to the innocent playings of children.
You know your child better than anyone else - listen to that voice inside of you - does it tell you this is okay and she is in an innocent phase that we are putting more serious (and adult) ideas on, but that she is not intending? Or does it tell you there really is something morbid or destructive about her behavior that you should look into it more?
I am sure that if you take the time to listen to your inner voice, you will know what the correct path is for you and your child. Good Luck and let us know how it goes!

Hi!
My daughter just turned 6 and has been doing this for about a year. I'm sure it's some kind of phase, I haven't worried too much about it unless she ties things around hers or her brothers neck, thinking they are animals going for a walk. I let it go just because I like her to express her imagination in her play, unless she's going to cause harm to herself or someone else I wouldn't worry too much about it.

D., I have four children (20, 18, 11, 8) and I had one tier. She wanted to tie up everything too. Cords, ropes, strings, etc. We even had a cat tied up too. I think distracting her is a great idea but it may be that she just likes the manipulation of the strings and it seems challenging. She's probably just developing her coordination. Perhaps get her some craft toys that are age appropriate, something involving strings or yarn or other hand manipulating activities. I bought her a bunch of those little My Little Ponies with the colored manes and tails and we spent hours braiding the tails and putting hair holders on the tails, etc. In my daughter's case she was just energetic and tying things kept her from getting bored. She later became a great soccer player with all that energy. Good luck with your studies and hang in there, this too shall pass.

Fetish? Medicince? Good grief! I have twins who are turning four in two weeks and one of them has been doing this for a while. He has stripped all of our shoes in the closets of their laces. I would not worry about the cat incident, beyond emphasizing that it is not ok and can hurt the cat. My twins have willing accepted some purse straps from my old purses as substitutes for leashes and they will put those on stuffed animals, or hook them on each others shirts or belt loops, when they feel the need to "walk" someone. The straps have the clasps so it doesnt require tying. They 'tie' zip cords for their action figures, use strings/ropes/laces/straps as tow ropes for their cars, leashes for stuffed animals, lassos etc. It is fun and imaginative. What happens at Christmas when you give them a toy? they play with the box. Same type of thing.

i have a daughter who tied everything together with string, yarn, whatever she could get hold of. i once found her room strung like a sloppy spiderweb. i let her do it unless it caused harm, which it seldom did. if she destroyed something of her own, she had to do without it. she eventually grew out of it as she did other unusual behaviors. just give it time and gentle direction.

OH MY GOSH!!! I thought I was reading one of my own stories! My daughter did exactly the same thing. It drove my husband and I nuts! She'd tie something so many times that we'd have to cut it to get if off. When they're young like your daughter, you think it's just a phase and you don't want to scold them; but after several years it becomes an nuisance. Actually, it was downright freaky! If she weren't such a level-headed, sweet, wonderful person, I would have been really nervous about what this meant.

When our daughter was about 6 or so, we finally pulled the plug on her tying things up. We sat her down and explained how all of the thing she was using to tie cost money and that she was ruining them. We also explained that some of the things she tied were inappropriate and could cause damage or cause someone to get hurt. We made it mandatory for her to ASK if she wanted to tie something up...especially if it was not hers.

It took about another year of conditioning her to not do it; but she finally stopped...except sometimes only tying her animals together. She's 12 now and as normal as any pre-teen would be. ;-)

Good luck to you! :)
G.

bren

1 / 3