Thumb Sucking - Overland Park,KS

I have a three and a half month old and she has been sucking her thumb since she came into this world.In the next two months I would like to try and get her off of it.Any suggestions?

Thank you to all who gave thier thoughts on my request.My baby girl decided to give it up to the binky.She is almost 6 months now so it all worked out.Thank you again for all your responses:)

There is some stuff that you put on finger nails for nail biters. I can't think of the name of it, but someone at a drug store could probably tell you. It would probably help keep the thumb out of the mouth because it is very bitter and nasty to taste.

Wish I could be of more help but my daughter is 3 years old and still sucks her thumb. She has been doing this before she was born and still is. I really need to break her of this habit before she starts school in a couple years. I haven't read the responses yet so hopefully someone has some ideas....for you and for me! GL!

There are two different things to try that I know of. The first would be to put sockes over her hands when she naps or at bedtime, the other is a special polish that they make. The polish tastes very bad and so when the child puts her thumb in her mouth the taste is supposed to make the child want to remover the thumb. It's some kind of a training session that they say is a sensory trigger. They both sound a little mean but the only other alternative would be to stay awake 24/7 and follow the child everywhere, including the bathroom. I was fortunate enough that none of my children sucked their thumb. Good luck, I hope this helps you out some.

You know C., regarding thumbsucking you can't really stop and infant from sucking their thumb. It's self soothing. It's actually a good thing for your baby! I'm sorry I can't give you advice on how to stop it. Just try to not stress over it. Your baby is only a baby once. Enjoy the little things they do. Worry about the thumbsucking when she get's old enough to understand why she can't have it/do it anymore.

I've got 4 children. The first 3 were pacifier babies and self weaned at 9-10 months. My 4th child is a thumbsucker and at 17 months she's still going strong. She uses it to self calm and it's a security to her. If she's uncomfortable, she's always got her thumb to make herself feel better. I'm not worried.

It makes me sad to think about taking something so comforting away from such a little baby. I would consider it a blessing that she has found a way to comfort herself. I can't even imagine how you would go about taking her thumb away. If you do succeed, you'll probably end up using a pacifier and will have go though taking that away someday too. What is your reason for wanting to take it away? If it's about her teeth, chances are she'll probably have braces whether she sucks her thumb or not(since so many kids do now). Good luck to you.

You are fortunate that your child has developed a way to sooth itself. I personally would not worry about this. Every child has its own way of soothing. When your child is ready he/she will stop. If you are really concerned I would read about self soothing techniques on the Sears website. Dr. Sears provides a great deal of insight for parents and also has a post it site. This website is http://www.askdrsears.com

Based on what I've read, I think your daughter is pretty young for you to try to get her to kick thumb-sucking. At her age, it's great that she's learning to soothe herself. If it really bothers you, you could try offering her a pacifier occasionally when she goes for her thumb. However, it might just cause her anxiety if you try to make her stop, and sucking is such a natural need for babies. Besides, she may do it for a few months and then stop on her own anyway...

Hi C.....
I have been lucky w/ my kids...all three of them. None of them took passies or sucked their thumbs. BUT< I did as a child until I was 4 years old. The thing, and ONLY thing that got me to stop is liquid catnip. YES< Catnip. You can get it in a brown bottle and if I remember, it has a brush inside the lid. my mom put that on my thumb maybe 2 or 3 times, I'd put my thumb in my mouth, and bam...it broke me quick because it tasted nasty. It does NOT harm you...obviously because Cats are still around. This was a suggestion from my pediatrician 30 years ago and its worked on a couple of my friends kids who sucked their thumbs as well. I did look it up and its anywhere from $5-$9 a bottle.
A suggestion though, 3.5 months is awfully early to try and break her...I'd wait until she's 1 or so....but its your child...you do what you think is right!
I hope this helps!! I know it sounds strange...but it does work!

try a pacifier. some babies just need to have suck more than others. it is totally natural.

Carla is right, socks will do the trick. I have a cousin who sucked her thumb until she was 15. That is not good for any child. Thumb sucking is not for comfort. Babies do this because of nursing, bottles. It is the first thing they learn. Try the socks :-)

I think babies have a natural need to suck as a way of soothing themselves. I don't think sucking her thumb at 3 months is a problem. I sucked my thumb until I was 6 and my mom told me I couldn't go to first grade if I still sucked my thumb. I remember it being hard to stop but not impossible. I would not take that source of comfort away from your baby at this point. Good luck!

1 / 3