Thumb Sucking - Hurst, TX

While still digesting and acting on my other question, I have yet another to put to the test. I've never delt with thumb sucking and my almost four year old is still doing it. You all have such good ideas, I thought I'd put the question out there. Mostly when she is tired, but this one has sucked her thumb since being born. What worked for you?

I hate to be the negative one here, but I was a thumb sucker from birth and no matter what my mom did (and believe me, she tried some SCARY things!!), I didn't completely stop until I was around 12 (I did it mostly in my sleep). Anyway, it did affect my teeth quite a bit but when I stopped, my teeth moved together perfectly without braces. I have friends whose kids are in that 6-9 range and still do it, too. They've pretty much concluded it will stop when their kids are ready. If you get good advice, let me know, I have 15 1/2 month old twin boys and they both are thumbsuckers - LOL. Have a blessed day!

We used this with the older two girls when they were 5 and 3. Worked very well discussing these things, showing them what it does to their skin/teeth. They worked toward a reward...now we have their brother to contend with...

The Thumbsucking Plan

Name: _____________________________________ Date: _________________

I suck my thumb (check all that apply):

__at night __in class __at school
__ at recess __ when nervous __ when reading
__ when bored __in the car __ when scared
__ watching tv __during naps __ other

My goal is to:

I want to stop sucking my thumb because:

I will reach my goal by (date):

The people who will know about this will be:

My treasured object will be put:

Rules I will follow are:

Reminders that will be used are:

Things I can do instead of sucking my thumb:

So I donít suck my thumb at night I will:

Things to remind me not to suck my thumb are:

The reward for not sucking my thumb will be:

I will get my treasured object back when:

I use to suck my finger terribly bad. (I was about 7-8 when I stopped, my teeth were terrible!) My parents got some sort of nasty gel (made for this very purpose) they put on my finger and it dried on. Everytime I tasted it I stopped. This worked for me. Maybe a pharmasict at CVS or Walgreens might know of this type of thing.

I just talked with our pediatrician about this regarding my 3 1/2 year old daughter. She said to leave it alone until she's 4, but to go ahead and set boundaries on where she can use her thumb. She also said that if you make an issue of it at this age, she'll actually increase her thumb sucking. We attempted to talk about it anyway after a dental visit and sure enough, I started seeing the thumb more than usual. So, we're back to just limiting it to her bedroom and the car.
I tell my daughter that the thumb stays in her room. If I catch her with it anywhere else in the house, I tell her (nicely) that if she needs her thumb she needs to go to her room. There are times Ive caught her taking a "thumb break" when she'll randomly run into her room to hold her blanket and suck her thumb, then come back out and play. (The blanket has the same rules as the thumb -- it stays in her room only). It takes a while to establish the new rule, but if you're doggedly consistent, it will eventually happen.

Hi!
I am going through this right now with my 4yr! SHe has sucked hers since birth and I have recent;y tried EVERYTHING! The paint on, yucky tasting stuff, sticky tape, you name it! Anyway, recently I've found something that is a success. I loosely wrap sticky tape around each thumb and then I found some rubber finger covers in walmart, and I put those over the top! IT WORKS! She gets a treat at the end of each day if she manages to keep them on! It's been 5 days now! I change them each day and night. I thought it would have broken it, but this morning she sucked it again (in between changing the tape!), so I'm not sure how long I will need to keep this up to break the habit, but so far, it's working!
Hope this helps!
I'd be interested to hear if you get any other helpful advice.
All the best!
S. Romer

Hi, my second son sucked his thumb from day one, and he would get sores on his thumb. When he turned 2, everytime I caught him doing it, I would gently take his thumb out of his mouth and tell him to stop because he would give his thumb boo-boos if he didn't. He would listen, and then a little while later he'd be at it again, but I was consistent, and enlisted the aid of his daycare teachers, and slowly but surely, the sucking became less frequent, and eventually stopped altogether. He's 5 now and doesn't even remember doing it. Of course, this won't work for all children. I have friend whose daughter sucks her thumb still and she's almost 4. I gave my friend the same advice, but it's not working as well as it did for me. Hope this helps!

My 2nd daughter use to suck her thumb all the time. I tried bandages and band aids to pretty nail polish on her thumb but nothing seemed to work.I had a chart for days she didn't suck her thumb she would get a stamp or sticker and at the end of the week she would get a same small reward. If at the end of the month she had the chart covered with stickers she could get her big girl bike,but that did not work. I took her to the dentist when she was 2 1/2 and the dentist promised her if she quit sucking her thumb she would get a special stuffed animal. The next day she quit doing it. I was amazed that one talk from the dentist did the trick for her. I did all the tricks but only talking to someone else worked for her and I.

I sucked my thumb until I was 10, only when I slept, and I am ok. My parents never made a deal out of it. I just was not allowed to do it in public. We all have ways of being comforted and that is hers. I would not worry about it. Also I never had to wear braces, and my teeth are fine.

1 / 3