Thrush That Won't Go Away

I'm curious to know if anyone has had this problem. This is my first time having thrush...but I'm not so sure I have it as much as my dd of 1 month has it. She has white cottage cheese on her tongue only and the ped was the only one who noticed it. My breasts feel fine. Now my issue is that I have been applying a liquid Nystatin of 1 ml. 4x a day in her mouth, especially coating the tongue, as well as applying it to my nipples so we don't pass the bacteria back and forth to each other. Well it has been over 2 weeks and I haven't seen a change in the white substance on her tongue, and the doc said to me it could take a month for it to actually go away. It has never spread to any other areas of her mouth or face. I just wonder if anyone has ever had this happen to them and what they did to treat it, especially in a little quicker time than a month.

Thanks for your comments. I just went to a check up today for my baby and I saw a different ped doctor at this visit than last. She said it actually wasn't trush, and that I should look into probiotics for the baby through my pharmacist or whole foods store. She never said what it was, but she said thrush would have spread to more areas of her mouth, not just her tongue alone, if it was actually thrush. The more I though about it too, I remember her having this in the hospital the day she was born.

My daughter had this problem when she was about 8 weeks old. I also used the Nystatin but then a friend of mine told me to also give her Baby-dophilus. I bought it at Whole Foods. (It's acidophilus for babies.) Together with the nystatin, that cleared it up! It comes in a powder form so if you're giving her bottles as well, you can just add the powder to her bottle. Hope this helps and the thrush clears up soon!

Have to agree with the recommendations for Gentian Violet. You can Google "Jack Newman Gentian Violet" or "Kellymom Gentian Violet" (don't put it in quotes, just enter in the google search) and you will see exactly how to use it. It's messy and looks funny, agreed - but it works better than any other product I tried. Good luck.

No my son had it and the dr gave him a mecicine it was
yellow and went away.i VISITED WITH MY NATROPATH AND IT'S
BECAUSE I HAVE YEAST IN MY BODY AND PASSING IN ON IN
BREASTMILK. YOU NEED TO INCREASE YOUR FRIENDLY BACTERIA
IS YOUR GUT OR TAKE A TBSP OF PURE NON PRESS COCONUT OIL FR HEALTH STORE IT HAS CAPRALIC ACID & KILLS OF YEAST. tHE BABY WILL HAVE DIGESTION ISSUES PROPERLY LATER ON SUCH AS CONSTIPATION FROM LOW GOOD BACTERIA IN THE GUT. VISIT A HEALTH STORE THEY WILL TELL YOU WHAT I'M TELLING YOU.
BEEN THERE GOOD LUCK

It may be a geographic tounge, My son has one, like raised patches of white on the surface.Sometimes will move from place to place and in different shapes. If you or your doc can not scrape it off with a tounge depressor then it is not Thrush. so you can stop the medications becasue Geographic tounge is not a disease or contageous, just part of the tounge.

nystatin did nothing for me, just stalled getting diflucan, which worked beautifully. and by the way, i know some people say to eat yogurt, but remember that thrush is yeast, which thrives on sugar. most yogurt has tons of sugar. read the labels on the plain yogurt and maybe try that. also remember to keep everything very clean and dry, your bra, nursing pads, etc. you might have thrush but be lucky enough to not feel it, but any dampness, leaking etc in your bra can be helping to keep it thriving in the baby.

ummmm, stay away from nursing if you aren't already

The problem I had with the docs prescribing the Nystatin is they put sugar in it to make it taste better forn the baby. then they say apply it to the nipples, but yeast infections (thrush) grow when introduced to sugar, thus furthering the Thrush and you might get it on the breasts.

The previous comment about staying away from nursing is not helpful AT ALL. I got thrush of the breast at least 4 times during the early months of my son nursing and I did not give up...I nursed him till he was 2 1/2.

My son never showed signs of the thrush spots in the mouth, but based on my symptoms, we knew I had it and we both needed to be treated. I did need antibiotics, but treated in between with grapfruit seed extract on my nipples....you can read about that. and when I would get the thrush again, I would do the gentian violet on my nipples to treat my son and wait and see if it worked for me or if I still needed the antibiotics. I started taking a probiotic and would even crush the capsule and coat my finger with the powder and give to my son.

I hope you do not develope it on the breast,since it was very painful for me and felt like broken glass inside my breasts!

hang in there. there are many great and natural ways to treat and prevent thrush in mother and babby

Hi M.:

I know you're applying the liquid, but, have you changed your diet? Whatever you ingest, will affect your daughter via breastfeeding. Plus, did you research the Nystatin to find out the side effects? There may be an ingredient in it that could increase the yeast. I had a mommy and twins clients who kept passing the thrush back and forth and it was primarily because the mother had not changed her diet.

The issue can be gently and safely treated with diet change and natural therapy remedies. I'd be happy to assist you and your baby. Feel free to consult with my office to clear this up for good.

All the best,
N.
www.wholecreations.com/wombfull.html
###-###-####

Yes!! I went through the same thing for about four months and ended up getting it in both breasts. So painful!! Nystatin didn't work very well for me and i'm one that would prefer a natural remedy over chemical, and the only thing that worked was probiotics. They are a godsend because they help soo many things, thrush, babys skin if it's breaking out, they will spit up less and it will do so much good for their insides I.e.digestive track which affects soo much. Honestly it can only do your baby good. Like water, it's natural and good for you so if you have to much your body just flushes out what it doesn't need. I get mine at natures, or whole foods, or wild oats. In the refridgerated section. It comes in a white container with a yellow lid. Good luck!!

1 / 3