Throwing a Baby "Sprinkle"

Hey moms! my best friend is pregnant with her 2nd child... this time around she is having a boy.. a friend of mine threw a "sprinkle" pretty much a mini shower with just close friends... i just have a few questions please help me out here!

1) do i need to have favors? if so what are some cute cheap ideas?

2) how do i make this a cheap shower? i am for sure just going to cook, but is there a good time of day to have this so i don't have to necessary supply a full meal?

3) do i need games?

4) i see a lot of places selling raffle tickets for baby showers, is that tacky? i guess what you do is sell the raffle tickets and the money goes towards baby diapers? i would obviously raffle something small off for the winner..

5) the party is going to be end of may is it ok to plan for an outdoor party or should i just plan to have it indoors??

Please help! i am the only one hosting the party and i feel clueless and i do not want to spend a ton of money!

wow thank you so much for all the ideas! i am still a bit unsure how i will be going about this but you guys ahve me awesome ideas!

My neighbor just had a sprinkle this past weekend. All we did was enjoy a brunch style breakfast and chat. The organizer suggested that any gift be a gift card to Target and if we wanted to bring other items that it was fine. It was only a handful of ladies and it was super nice and simple. I wouldn't bother with games or favors.

I just threw a "sprinkle" this past Sunday. A friend of mine (not a super close one, though) is having her first baby and there are 4 other big showers for her. A couple ladies in my neighbor and myself took her out for a Sunday brunch. We did not do favors, games, etc. She has had enough of that with the other showers. We paid for her brunch between the 3 of us (as well as paying our own) and we each got her a gift. I got her the basics: lotion, baby bath, thermometer, wipes, etc. and a small purse size photo album. The other two ladies went in on an outfit for the baby. It was so nice to sit at brunch, just the 5 of us (my 10 year old daughter joined us), treat the mom-to-be to a nice meal and give her a few nice gifts. She was VERY appreciative and said it was wonderful to have a relaxing, low-key "sprinkle" where she got fed yummy food! Simple really is best and remember: a "sprinkle" is not a shower. I am sure she will appreciate whatever it is that you decide to do--just leave the games, favors, etc. for the first-time moms having their big showers! Hope this helps.

To save money, I would do an afternoon"tea" outside. Just do tea and some little cookies, get some spring flowers for the table and you're set. As far as games and favors, I think those things are unnecessary - but I have never liked that kind of stuff. Have fun.

1) I think the best favors are the edible ones. As one poster said, we don't really save or cherish the clutter of favors! A cluster of chocolates or candies in a little netting bag or a candle are fine. You can get little candles cheap at the dollar store, and the netting is inexpensive at Michaels. Look for their 40% off coupon!

2) I think tea and sandwiches are fine. For showers I used a heart-shaped cookie cutter and cut the white bread in heart shapes. Then I had a meat and cheese tray, some condiments, some fresh fruit and some chips.

3) I think games can be fun depending on the crowd.

4) I don't like showers where you have to spend MORE money or bring extra gifts. The idea is each guest should "shower" the mom-to-be with whatever they think is appropriate. Squeezing them to spend more cash can be rude.

5) I would plan it for indoor/outdoor. If it rains you could certainly stay inside, but if it's nice sitting on the patio can be fun.

I'll offer my perspective, which may be different than others.

I had a surprise "sprinkle" with my second pregnancy. And by surprise, I meant that it was my usual group of friends simply getting together like we always do (about once every other month), and they surprised me with a wonderful gift. We all brought appetizers (as we always do) and nothing different was done. We sat around and talked. It wasn't until the end of the afternoon, when they presented me with the gift, that I realized it had been arranged in my baby's "honor."

I would have been EXTREMELY uncomfortable with anything shower-like. I had my traditional shower with my first child and would have been horrified if my friends went out of their way to do something splashy for me again. The surprise of a gift was extremely touching -- and I felt that my new baby was being welcomed with loving hearts. I say, keep it very simple and stay away from all the traditional shower games and events (raffles, etc.)

Keep it simple.

From my perspective if I got invited to a sprinkle and someone served me simple sandwiches and hors d'oeuvres, I was able to enjoy the company of friends and celebrate the upcoming birth of the baby, and I didn't walk out of there with a favor (thank God - I'm anti-favor anyhow), I'd be just fine! You really can't beat good times with good friends. I'd rather hang out all afternoon and have a blast with my friends and walk home empty-handed than be asked for money and given a tacky dollar store favor because the hostess wants to be 'cheap'. (to clarify...I do not mean to imply that you're being cheap; I just get annoyed when people think they have to have favors and go get whatever piece of junk is on sale in the clearance bin. If you're having a favor for the sake of having a favor then skip it - how many of us keep and cherish these favors forever anyway? Maybe I'm in the minority, who knows!)

About the games - ask the guest of honor. It's her shower. Personally, I love games as do all of my friends. My sister-in-law threw my wedding shower for me and proclaims all games as 'stupid' therefore we did not play any. I and my guests we a little bit disappointed and bored (because we were looking forward to them). It didn't ruin the shower, but it was a bit annoying because the shower became all about my sister-in-law and what she wanted to do. Talk to your friend and ask her what she wants.

Personally, I'd skip the raffle unless it is something you and your friends are used to doing. The guests are already bringing a gift; don't squeeze them for more!

I think Maggie is right on with the idea of an afternoon tea - that sounds like a good time to me!

The best way to proceed is to ask the guest of honor what she wants in her shower and then proceed from there. After all, it is a party in her honor.

The hosts for my shower set up a build-your-own salad bar, with a couple types of lettuce/spinach and probably a dozen toppings (bunch of veggies, diced turkey/ham, hard boiled eggs, croutons, real bacon bits, several cheeses) & dressings. It was a hit! It probably took some time to prep/chop everything, but they said it was easy and there were no big pots & pans to clean up. If it's really just very close friends, you could even ask your girlfriends to help by brining something to add to the bar. I have seen something similar with a baked potato bar. But, I also like the afternoon tea idea a lot, maybe with strawberry shortcake or something similar.

But if you're going to have a meal, games, favors, gifts, a raffle, etc., it sounds like a full blown shower to me! I like another person's idea of taking the guest of honor out for a meal and everyone pitches in for her meal; just give your little gifts there, and no one has to stress or clean up!

Whatever you do, enjoy!

I have never heard of selling raffle tickets, and to be honest, I do think it is kinda tacky. People spend their money on the gift and don't expect to show up with cash for a raffle at a shower or "sprinkle". I have also never heard of that term before. We had a "meet the baby open house" party with my second because my first was a boy and people only brought little girl outfits and met her. It was great and I don't think people mind a shower that is themed for a different gender because you are not looking for all the other baby items.

1 / 3