Throw up or Spit Up?

I have a three month old who just started throwing up (spitting up) after he eats. I am wondering if this is a virus or if maybe it is reflux. How can you tell the difference between throw up and spit up? The stomach bug is going around at my husbands work so I am thinking it's that since it just started yesterday. He doesn't have a fever and he is taking 3-4 ounces every 2-3 hours. I have been giving him some pedialite too. but he throws some of it up every time. He really isn't too grouchy and he has plenty of wet diapers but no poop yet. What do you think it is?

He is doing better- he hasn't been throwing up in the last three days. I am thinking maybe something just upset his tummy. If it's reflux I guess time will tell :) Thanks for all your help.

It sounds like it's just spit up. Throw up would be a large quantity. My little girl started spitting up more around that age and sometimes it was just because I was feeding her too much and she was spitting up the excess. Hope I could help a little.

If it is coagulated it is throw up and if not then spit up. Once it hits the stomach it coagulates, so if it is milky it has not gone all the way down and is being spit up. If possible keep him in an upright postion for 30 mins after he eats and this should help with the spit up. I have a 7 month old little boy who went through the same thing. My son did have a stomach virus also when he was 2 months old, so keep an eye out it is possible. Keep a count of his wet diapers and if they are unusally less usual than take him to the doctor. Keep giving him the pedilyte if you are worried they take a lot more down than we think.

That happened to me with my 9 month old several weeks ago...it was a bad ear infection and he was teething at the same time. He didn't do very well when I fed him and when I laid him down. That's usually when he would throw up but it was mostly formula mixed with snot as opposed to the nasty looking greenish stuff. Ick!

Just an idea. Hope he feels better soon!

It would be rare for the baby to have the stomach bug since babies have approx 6 months of antibodies built in at birth. More if they are breastfed. I think it is reflux. Have you tried giving him less food more often. Take his weight and times it by 2.5 this is how much he should eat in 24 hours. If it continues talk to his pediatrician.

Take your baby to the doctor. My cousin went thru this recently with his infant and he was diagnosed with thrush. Evidently this is very common in babies, especially those who are in a daycare setting. The biggest issue is that the baby could become dehydrated. They had to give their baby and ounce at a time and wait 5-10 minutes to make sure he kept that down then feed another ounce.

With him only being 3 months old, I would take him to the doctor to find out. Babies can get dehydrated really quickly.

My baby boy started spitting up around that age. I did some research on it. It turns out that 40% of babies just spit up. Something about the vavle where the esophagus and the stomach meet - it just relaxes at the wrong time. Babies grow out of it around the age of one. My baby has his good days and his bad as far as spitting up goes. Sometimes he spits up a lot, but sometimes not much at all. Try sitting him a little more up right when feeding and keep him up for a while after eating. Definitely give him time before giving him tummy time - pressure on the belly will make it worse. If he is acting and feeling fine, I am sure that it is just spit up. Especially if he is doing it right after he eats.

The difference is the amount. Spit up is usually a small amount and just comes out of the mouth while baby is lying/sitting. Throw up has a little more force and will saturate his clothes, your clothes, and maybe (if you tried to catch it) the burp cloth. My 2 month old just went to the dr. for vomiting. The dr. said not to worry unless baby is fussy, has a fever, or acts different. It doesn't seem he is eating too much at 3-4 ounces. My girl is breastfed, so it's hard to tell how much she eats. The doc said she is probably eating too much and her stomach can't hold but so much so the rest comes out. Also after feeds try to leave him sitting up and calm for 30 mins. that has helped for me! Good luck.

V.,
It's most likely just spit up. When he starts spewing for no apparent reason, like an hour or 2 after eating, then it's throw up. My oldest son had GER (gastro-esophageal reflux);
he was spitting up anything he ate up until his next meal. But this didn't affect his appetite or weight gain. It was just a huge inconvenience. He did this well after his first birthday and it took 4 different doctors to diagnose him.
But I don't believe your child has this. I think it's just your regular run of the mill spit up that ALL babies do. It's caused by air they swallowed while drinking and a short esophagus. While the air is trying to escape from his stomach, some liquid comes up with it and ends up all over you and your furniture. I recommend you keep a towel or burp cloth handy for when this happens for quick clean-up. And don't fret, it's completely normal!

If he is not spitting up half or more of what he eats, all he is doing is spitting up the extra liquids he does need. HE'S EATING TOO MUCH. My daughter will be four months on the 12th, she does the same thing and she just started in the past month. If he doesn't poop like you think he should, give him a couple of ounces of juice every day. I have been giving that to my daughter since she was two months old (we put her on formula and that constipated her). She does have ANY problems now. Spitting up is natural for a baby that starts "picking" how much they get to eat. This is my forth time around, so I'm use to is. Just keep burp rags around after he gets done eating.

1 / 3