Three Year Old Doesn't Talk

I have a three year old son who hardly talks at all. What he does say is really hard to understand and If he is trying to talk to someone other that myself or his dad they have no idea what he is saying. I have tried everything I can think of I look at picture books with him and repeatedly saying the words but he can't sit still long enough to get through more then 2 or 3 pages. I have tried correcting him when he says the words wrong but that angers him and he just ends up yelling the word his way back at me. I even tried just simply using those words more when talking to him but he just repeats the word to me his way like what I am saying is wrong. I don't have any other ideas about how to teach him to talk so that everyone or at least someone can understand what he is saying. I am thinking about speech theapy but my boyfriend thinks its a horrible idea and he says we should just wait it out. Please help us!

Thank You all for the help. I contacted the local school. They are going to be contacting me today and reviewing my son. I will keep you all updated on the pregress. Thanks Again!

Have you had him tested for stuff like Autism, ADD or something? IF not, you might want to look into it. But you definately should have him tested to see IF he has anything (ADD, Autism, etc.)

My son is the same way. He is 4 1/2 now and still very hard to understand. We took his to a speech pathologist and he was diagnosed with speech aprixia. She said it is where he can hear the words correctly in his mind, but can not communicate them. Zach also couldn't move his tounge from side to side until about 6 months ago. He is still hard to understand, but he is getting better. The best thing that I can say is have patience. I know it is hard though because I get frustrated at times as well. My son gets frustrated at times and all I can do is keep working with him and have him slow down when he is talking. Hope this helps a bit. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

My son at 3years old didn't talk. He tried but we couldn't understand him. AEA help so much. He now is a perfect 7 yearold, and still is makeing up for all the time he missed talking.

I have a daughter, (now six), who was the exact same way. My boyfriend used to look at me after my daughter would say something and say, "what did she say?". My doctor told me in most cases that they will eventually out grow it and she for the most part has. Her last big herdal was pronouncing icecream right. She called it "hides-cream", it drove me nuts and this was something she just overcame last year. I think when it is your first born child, they have no older siblings to look up to and to strive towards. So they learn at their own pace basically is how I see it but anyway, I personally, wouldn't be too concerned. Those are my thoughts anyway.

Personally speaking, from a mom who found out too late that my daughter had a learning disability, I STRONGLY suggest that you visit a speech therapist or someone specializing in toddler care. There may be more wrong with your child than just a speech problem. Get help NOW before its too late.
I wish you the best.

Get him to the clinic. We had the same problem with my grandson and didn't find out anything till he needed a physical for Headstartl. Mason had tumor behind his eardrum. Once removed, within 2 weeks words were coming from his mouth. He now had to wear a hearing aid, but he hears us well and we understand everyword he says. Talks consantly which is heaven to our ears.

What does your peditrician say about his speech?? If the ped. is worried he/she would recommend some therapy. Usually if a child isn't talking by two years of age some intervention is needed.

I would definately talk to your ped. about the sistuation and voice your concerns and see what the doctor says.

stick to your mommy instinct. it could be many things,it could be his hearing. it could be developement, even autism.. it could be he needs speach therapy. what does your pediatrician say? your dr should have noticed this at his last appts..in my opinion.
i know from taking my kids. we always have to go over those questions of the things they are doing.. and not doing.
my daughter was 3 mo premature and has many evaluations from the state agencies and the school district agencies.
where do you live? millard has a really good school one.
i know a lady who does Council bluffs as well.
seriously,, this can be checked out now,,before school..so he can get a head start on, IF there is a problem.
with out the knowledge to know what a child should be doing,, i'm sure your boyfriend thinks he's suggesting the right thing. and means well.
if you need any names or numbers for the agencies i have delt with,, let me know
email me.. ____@____.com

Contact the public school in your area. They will test your child for you. Public schools are all about early intervention these days. In most cases, this should be at no cost to you.

Hey C.,

Have you ever checked his hearing? What it sounds like to me is that he may have a hearing impairment. My cousin's son had the same speech issues as well as problems with him responding to her when she spoke or called for him. She had him tested and found that he had a partial hearing loss in both ears and was in need of hearing aids. He could not pick up the full pronunciation of the words we were speaking so therefore could not repeat them to us and speak properly. Once he started using the aids and started working with a speech therapist we saw a huge improvement. It might be something you would want to check out.

Good Luck!!

My daughter bought a book where the mother had the same problem with her child. In the book a fireman came to their rescue.

I will try to find out the name of the book and author.

1 / 3