ThQuestionable Mamogram Results

Hi Mamas ~ I'm reaching out for a ray of light tonight.... My mom recently had a second mamogram to verify a suspicious lump. Turns out it's a small lump and another "area" in the same breast that they are looking closer at. From the results of the second mamogram, they are sure it's NOT a cyst.

In two weeks they are doing a needle biopsy (dr. is on vaca next week - worst time for us!). While I'm positive for my mom's benefit, saying it's probably not cancer, let's not worry yet....

But in the back of my mind, and in the pit of my stomach, I can't get the BREAST CANCER thought out of my head. We have no family history, so that's something....

Have you or anyone you know gone through such a biopsy and it came back NOT breast cancer?? I'm hoping so b/c I really need something to hang on to here.

Please, no horror stories, and I know breast cancer is a strong possibility here - I'm just hoping someone else had good luck so I can hope for the best for my mom.

Thanks Mamas!

Thanks so much for all your support! I will let you know how it goes. Your stories have really alleviated some of my anxiety.

Update: it is cancer, but stage 1 and very treatable. Found early, thank goodness!

I had a needle biopsy done and it happened to be positive. However it was caught very early and I had a lumpectomy followed by radiation. Honestly, the needle biopsy was the worst. It is rather painful. I am now cancer free The radiation was easy, no after effects...in and out in about 5 minutes or so! So tell her not to worry...that is the most difficult part...the waiting for results. After I got a positive result, I was, OK, let's get on with it and get it done!

A few years ago, my mother had a lump show in her mammogram, which the doctors decided to biopsy (My grandmother, her mother, died of breast cancer, so there is a family history) which came back completely clear. It was just, slightly dense, normal breast tissue. She was in her 40's at the time. When she was 24 she had a lump removed, which was also normal breast tissue, which was dense.

This isn't really a horror story, as it turns out. I went through close to the same thing as your mother many years ago. I did have a little bit of very early cancer, but it was taken care of, and I have been cancer-free for over fifteen years.

Since then, I've had *many* second mammograms and an occasional needle biopsy. They've all turned out fine. I always appreciate the care these technicians take in looking for anything that MAY be wrong. I'd rather have extra attention that turns out to be a false alarm than not enough attention that misses something.

The only horror part is the way my fingernails look after I chew them off before a checkup!

If the medical people were truly worried, your mother would surely be getting a needle biopsy in less than two weeks. They'd find a non-vacationing doctor to do it. Her situation is probably a "Let's check it out and see" one, not an "Uh-oh!" one. All the same, I'm saying a prayer for her.

My mother had a biopsy eons ago in the early 80s to remove and test a lump in her breast -and it was benign. Many breast lumps are! Of course some are not, and it's good this has been found and will be tested, but just because there's a lump, it doesn't automatically mean cancer.

It's probably one of the scariest times when you go through the biopsy. I had a mammogram, had to come back for a needle biopsy and even though it came out negative the doctor still wanted to do a full biopsy. I was pretty much paralyzed with fear and worry until I had the results. It turned out to be an infection. I read that there are many inconclusive mammograms. Hang in there, it is quite possible that it is nothing.

My mom had the exact same thing when she was younger (in her 60's)...it was NOT cancer. She had another one when she was in her late 70's...NOT cancer.

Statistically speaking, most biopsies are negative for cancer.

I know 5 people who had surgery to check suspicious lumps including my mother and grandmother and all were non cancerous:) I believe the majority of lumps are non cancerous. Good luck!

Edit- for what Internet facts are worth... 80-85%of breast lumps are benign /non canerous:).

There are plenty of women who have benign tumors. THAT'S a strong possibility, and not the same as a cyst.

Hugs to you and your mom,

I've had a lot of suspicious mammograms due to fibrocystic breast disease - this is an issue of breast density and not a situation of a lot of fluid-filled cysts. I've had a lot of mammograms, calcifications, biopsies (excisional, stereo). Although I have gotten rid of all of that, I understand your stress/worry.

I know 2 weeks is a long time to wait, but usually breast cancer doesn't change much in that period of time. It's also highly treatable and, in older women, slow growing.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't be vigilant, but you have time to evaluate options. Don't be afraid to get additional opinions, and don't be afraid to look into nutritional solutions that don't conflict with medical approaches.

I have a lot of resources on nutrition so if I can help you, let me know.

I'm sorry I don't have a good news story for you, but want you to know you are not alone. My mom also recently got questionable results from a mamogram. She has a lot of health problems, type 1 diabetes, heart disease, kidney disease...but she is a very positive person. She says, "I wont have cancer." And at this point, I have to stay positive with her. She is scheduled for her 2nd test next week. We also have no family history.

Prayers for your mom, you and your family.

Hang in there, hun. ((HUGS))

Yes, my sister got the needle biopsy after finding a suspicious lump that the doctor also said wasn't a cyst. No cancer. But waiting for the results was EXCRUCIATING. We have breast cancer on both sides of the family, so we were preparing ourselves for the worst. Hang in there. Please give us an update.

Updated

Updated

My sister just went through this also and it came back negative. It is the waiting that drives you crazy!

Two weeks seems like a long time to get a needle biopsy. Is there another
doc that could do it? Just hate to see someone have to wait that long.
You do not say how old your Mom is. Breast cancer in older women tends
to be much less aggressive. Just try to take it one day at a time. If you
live close by just keep her busy. Good luck. Sending hugs.

ME!!! AND I was so worried I posted it here on Mamapedia, got so many well wishers and prayers (convinced it was all the moms!) and I got a clean bill of health. Just a little goofy thing in my breast. So, NOT A HORROR story, victorious!!! And really it scared me because I did have uterine cancer and my mom actually did have breast cancer. So try, try not to worry and remember there are so many things that can be done. If they were truly super worried they wouldn't wait that long either. And our breasts are filled with all sorts of spongy, goofy hard lumpy stuff that they just have to check it out despite our being scared because they are protecting us. Give mom a hug for me. S.

my mom has had that happen

I had the needle biopsy ten years ago and it came out benign. They put in a marker so that future mamograms always know that this spot was already tested. I have annual mamogram and annual ultrasound. They are important tests to get. Other friends of mine have been saved because of the mamogram, ultrasound and then biopsy of suspicious areas. I agree with the earlier posts, that many of the people getting the biopsy will learn that they have benign results. I wish your Mom the best! She is lucky to have your support. Its good for her to plan to rest after having the biopsy.

Right now it is the unknown that has you worried the most.

I have had a needle biopsy didn't feel the needle going in other do. I had cancer and a biopsy of the area was scheduled for two weeks. The surgery was successful in removing all of the cancer and it had not spread. Radiation was prescribed and completed. This all happened 15 years ago in September. So try to be patient and know that you will get through this.

Please keep us updated. You and your mom will be in my thoughts. Think positive to whatever the outcome.

The other S.