Thomas Trackmaster vs GeoTrax

I have a little boy who loves trains, he plays with them all the time with my nephew. My nephew has the thomas trackmaster set and i like it, but we are with her alot so i don't really want to get pieces mixed up. I was wondering if anyone had GeoTrax and what thy thought. I think it would be fun to have different ones to play with for them. Anyways are GeoTrax trains motorized and durable. Any info would be great on either set. Thanks

Love the GeoTrax. We had some Thomas, too, that were given to us but my 4 yr. old has outgrown Thomas and my 2 1/2 yr. old never got into Thomas, so they don't really play with it. GeoTrax covers all ages.

My experience has nothing to do with the specific toys you mentioned, but I'll tell you anyway. Thomas is expensive, and it's a phase. My 4 year old has the Thomas Duplo set. He LOVED Thomas when he got it at age 2. But now he doesn't really like Thomas anymore, so he doesn't like to play with the set anymore. He mostly gets out the Duplos and builds whatever else he wants.
In my experience, generic characters last longer in a child's every-changing tastes!

My 3 year old loves trains as well. We have Train table and many Thomas wooden trains that a friend passed on to us. He loves the trains. We also have GeoTrax. We started collecting GeoTrax when my 5 year old was 3. Now they both play with them and enjoy them very much. They do have both remote trains and manual ones. GeoTrax says 2 1/2 and older. Both my kids were over 3 before they could really put the tracks together. Since you have a one year old, I would recommend starting out with a small set and train and then build as he gets older. It's something they can enjoy well past age 5. Hope this helps! C. M.

We have GeoTrax and love it. It can be configured in so many different ways. I don't know about the Thomas Trackmaster so I can't give it a fair comparison, but we do love our GeoTrax!

my son has goe trax and we have really liked them. the wooden train set he had wore out much faster than the geo trax. he's had them for several years and still really likes them and everything still works! we've never had the trackmaster toys, but geo trax have so many different sets that can all go together, and they seemed to be a better price than most of the thomas the train sets. good luck

Hello!

We bought my son the GeoTrax station and one addition to it so far. He loves it and hasn't stopped playing with it. It is very durable and nothing has broke on it so far. I love that it has a motorized and non-motorized trains, it has lots of additions to it.
For Christmas we bought him the new plane attachment. It has a track for the plane to zoom around on (motorized), but it's station attaches to the train track.

To compare... our day care has the Thomas Train set and I have been told that it is already broke (tracks and the trains).
My son also has a wooden train set and he doesn't play with it near as much as his GeoTrax.

We have GeoTrax. My kids love them. It has tons of accessories and is very durable.

When my twin boys turned two, I decided between the exact sets you are asking about for their birthday. I decided on the Thomas set only because it didn't have the remote control for it like the GeoTrax. I thought the remote would be too complicated for them at that age, plus it was one more thing to get lost and make the set "not work." The Thomas set just has the switch on the train itself that you can turn on to make it go. That way, if they have the train, they can make it work. They don't have to find both parts. Anyway... as far as the sharing goes, my neighbor's boy has the exact same train set the boys got, and brings a train down to our house every time he comes to play. He has the exact same trains. His mom found an inconspicuous spot on each train they have that's the same and put his initials on it with a sharpie. We haven't gotten them mixed up yet. I don't have anything against the GeoTrax. My daughter's friend has that set and really likes it. His mom says it's pretty durable as well. But he's also older. My daughter and he are 4, which is more the age recommendation for that set anyway. Hope that helps some! Oh... and as far as the "Thomas" name: My boys don't even know who Thomas is, or what the "names" of any of the other trains are. They just like trains in general. If they were really into Thomas the show, I could see the trains being a phase. They may still be a phase. But it's not because they like the show.

We have the geotrax and my boys love them, we get another set to add to it every birthday or Christmas. I love that you can add to them and make it a whole different set. They have played with them for years and it is still their favorite toy. They are extremely durable. We have had other expensive wooden tracks break on us. The other thing I like is that they are easy to use. My almost 7 year old loves them, but my almost 2 year old can do put the track together as well.

My son who's 3 loves the Geotrax train. SOmetimes he'll use the remote to make them move on their own but he also loves to just push the trains along the tracks. You can buy additional trains and cargo trains for the Geotrax which is what we have done and he liked to mix all the pieces up to create new trains. Melissa and Doug also make a wooden train set (around $100). Everyone I know who has the Melissa and Doug train love it and say it was worth every penny. I personally like the good old fashined wooden trains but the Geotrax is a good buy too.

1 / 3