Third Grade Teachers or Mom's

My Son is in the 3rd grade, and is having a really hard time. I am trying everything I can think of, staring with Omega 3, Herbal focus formula, Sylvan, tutor in school. On top of that, I try my hardest with him at home. He is well behaved in school, and there has never been a complaint about his behavior. He is not hyper active. Grades are sent hope every week, but I have never seen any graded work from the teacher. Homework is not graded when I get it back, and my son says that they go thru it in class. I just don't understand how I am suppose to know how to help my son, if I can not see what he is doing wrong. Every time I email the teacher She never answers the question on why graded work is not sent home. Is it normal for teachers in the 3rd grade to not send graded work home? I would appreciate any suggestions.

I want to thank everyone for there suggestions and advise, it has really helped me. I have already set up a meeting with the Teacher, I will meet with her in 3 days. So what really helped is everyone suggestions, I have written down a bunch of things so I can go through each concern with her. I have also emailed my son's Tutor at the school (tutors my son 2 days a week) and expressed my concerns with her. This has helped so much, now I know that I'm not over reacting, and that I'm doing the right thing, by perusing this issue with the school. If I am not satisfied with the meeting with the teacher, I will contact the principal.
I have had my Sons eye's checked, and he does not need glasses. He has always done one sports activity that we let him do, because I feel that he really needs a break, but it has been too stressful this time. With game, practices during the week, he gets very tiered. I have talked with him and he agrees to take a break from that. I hate for him to stop, but I do think that is the best thing to do for now. I hope I'm doing the right thing. Thank you all so very much, I appreciate all the feed back.

I would go and speak with the teacher. I try to make a point to walk into the school at least once a month and speak with my kids teachers even if it is only for a minute if there is a problem she could let you know then. I would also ask if she minds to email you often to keep you updated on his progress. Most teachers are willing to keep you updated if you ask. Good luck!

Since in 3rd grade kids get more responsibility, and they go from learning to read to reading to learn, this is often the time that issues surface. My daughter went through what you describe. I contacted the teacher and she got some "reading recovery" help. Then in 4th grade things got worse. I wrote to the principal about my concerns and in Massachusetts the school has to respond in writing in 30 school days. They convened a "team meeting" with special ed folks, and at that meeting it was determined based on her record, that a "full core" of testing was warranted. The school tests found that she either had an anxiety disorder or lacking executive function (ADD). I may be skeptical, but I think in general the school will skew their testing to find something medical so they do not have to spend money. We had a private neuropsychologist test her further, and he found ADD (the non-hyperactive subtype) and dyslexia. She is now on ADD meds in 5th grade (tried Vyvanse first which did not allow her to sleep but had great daytime results, now she is on Concerta which has good daytime results and lets her sleep). She still has dyslexia issues (misreads small clues and cannot spell at all) so we are not done "fighting" the school system. The neuropsych wants her to have writing and reading instruction per the Orton-Gillinham method for dyslexics but the school finds her not eligible for an IEP since she makes decent grades. I would write your principal and express your concerns and the details you mentioned above. I would image that "no child left behind" has similar rules in SC as it does in Mass. Also make sure that his whole day is not only about school and all the things he has a hard time with. Here the rule is 10 minutes of homework per grade, so in 3rd grade that should be about half hour per day. Let the principal know you are spending 3 hours. That was exhausting for me and depressing and annoying to my daughter. School should teach her, you should just provide the love and space and time for him to do the work, not re-teach everything. You are being a good mama, but it is time to get the school to do their part. Good luck. Her is a great website about dyslexia : http://www.dys-add.com/define.html

The teacher should be sending home graded work. I have taught for well over 10 years (7 in 3rd grade) and ALWAYS sent home graded and ungraded work. Homework is rarely graded - only reviewed.

If you cannot get an answer through email, call and schedule a conference. She should be able to discuss with you what she is seeing in class. If you cannot get a reply from her you can contact the office to set up a meeting with the teacher and the principal.

Whenever I see a student that goes from Bs one year to Ds the next, I have lots of questions. What is different about this year than last year? Did anything change in the home? Is the child stressed over something? Did he get lots of help one on one with the teacher last year and is not getting it this year? What is happening during instruction that is keeping him from learning? The only way to answer these is with a discussion with the teacher.

As for testing, most schools have to follow federal/state/district guidelines for RTI (response to intervention). If a child is failing or struggling, the teacher should be working on RTI at some level, whether it is in the classroom or through some other program at school. If your child is not receiving help, you should know why. Although a child should not have to fail to receive help, they do need to show an academic need. To be tested, many districts require the teacher to show what interventions have been tried (there are 2 levels for the classroom teacher to work with along with another level for specialists) and have not worked (child is still struggling/failing) before testing takes place. I will be honest, the paper work can be very overwhelming with all the documentation required. Beginning paperwork can take hours to fill out, and the documentation can takes weeks/months to gather.

Step one - set up a conference with the teacher or the office if the teacher will not respond. This is the place to start.

Really homework shouldn't be recorded grades. They should only be a gage so the teacher can see how he's doing.
3rd grade is where things start to get harder.
Actually go in and talk to the teacher instead of emailing , she may not check email. Some people don't like to use email.
I'd also look into evaluating him for ADD-Inattentive type or dyslexia.

contact the principal and ask about the teacher not responding to your email. You can have a parent-teacher conference in front of the principal if need be. That's WEIRD for him to not have any grades on his work. If you are to be an 'active parent' in his learning, then you need more feedback than just a report card every 6 or 9 weeks. Good luck -Jess(former 3rd, 2nd, and 5th grade teacher).

Have you SPOKEN to the teacher?
In person?
And, in what ways is your son having a hard time?
Keeping up with the curriculum?
Understanding the teacher?
Has his eyesight been checked?
Can he see the blackboard
(or whatever color those boards are nowadays)?

Just go in and meet with the teacher either before or after class. My kids always brought home graded homework, so I'm not sure what's up with that. That gave us an opportunity to go over it and try to figure out where the mistakes were made, etc.
It sounds like his grades have really dropped and you and the teacher need a game plan to help get him on track.
Your son learning and feeling and being successful is certainly a priority so I think you should talk to the teacher about how you can work together to help him improve.
Maybe she's not grading the homework and just has the kids go over it in class to correct it or whatever. I don't know. But with his grades dwindling, I think you should have every right to ask at what point things are going downhill.

If you still don't feel like you can get a game plan in place, speak with the principal about it.

I wish you the best.

work is sent home weekly in a special envelope. some work is kept for conferences and for portfolios. we haven't gotten some of the graded work home but we did get other childrens' graded work. we sent it back and then asked the teacher twice if anyone had returned my daughter's work. we check online at gradespeed and see the grades, but I agree with you 100% we want to see the work. Her teacher also ignores emails so I started stopping by once a week. I was a teacher so I know to start off with a compliment and to state my support for them being responsible. Still, it gripes me that kids are sorting the graded work and not sorting it correctly.

1 / 3