Things to Do with 10 Mos Old Twins

I have 10 mos old twins who are starting to walk unassisted. The weather is getting warm and I want to take them to go do fun things. Any suggestions what I can do with them if I am taking care of them by myself aside from long walks in the stroller?

Thanks in advance!

My twins also started walking at 10 mos last April. We mostly let them run around in parks and playgrounds. When it was cooler or rainy we went to the indoor playgrounds that some malls have. They love that still. Since they are still pretty small and wobbly at that age there is not a whole lot they can actually do other than walk and eventually run around. Even an open field can be fun!

Updated

My twin boys were born in July so they were 10 months in warmer weather like yours. But mine didn't walk until 15 months, so we pretty much stuck to the stroller. If they are walking a little, take them to a park and let them run around. You could also sign them up for a gym class, which my boys loved (although that is, of course, indoors). I agree with some of the other posters... everything is fun for a new walker. Just let them run around your back yard would be great. Playgrounds are good b/c they can see other kids (and you can see other adults). I loved going to the zoo and nature center with my kids, but clearly, we needed a stroller for that. Way too much walking, especially for a new walker. ENJOY!!!

Let me tell you from experience that everything is fun to them. You don't need to do "special" anything. Try just going out side to a toddler park and have them play on the toys or in the sand. My kids favorite was water and a large paint brush. They would "paint" the sidewalks, rocks, porch.. and then it would disappear! Clean -up was easy and they got to experience water together.

You could also join a mom's club and do things with other moms and tots. Good luck to you.

My twins are 5 1/2 now. You are in for a lot of fun. I just went back and saw some videos from when they were about a year and they were hysterical. Bubbles!!!! Cheap, easy and portable! They will love to chase the bubbles and pop them. Gentle sprinklers and baby pool if you have outdoor space at home. Ride on cars, push toys like the lawnmower, sand box or table. Some playgrounds have a little toddler section separate from the larger apparatus. I loved bringing them to kids museums or nature centers...plenty for them to touch and play with and they are often broken up into little rooms so you just have to watch they don't run to exit that room. Kids playspaces usually have a toddler section too. They can be easily amused at this age and trips are not necessary but it was good for me to have a change of scenery and good for them to see other kids and get ideas from them. Best of all...many of these place are free admission under 1 year of age. But to be honest, you will be chasing your twins around for awhile now especially since the walking will soon turn into running. Start finding a phrase or motion that triggers them to know that they have gone too far. If you have house with a lawn, find a visual marker that you will use to tell them to stop (like don't pass that tree b/c it is too close to the street) Hopefully if your twins make a run for it they will at least go in the same direction....mine almost always did. If they don't, get your jogging shoes on! Best of luck!

Updated

My twins are18 months old. What fun!

I don't know if you have any areas like this by you, but I would bring my kids to the toddler play areas in the mall, or to a nearby playground that is fenced in and has a rubber, cushy ground.

my twin boys will be 3 in July, so I know what you're talking about! I have a fenced in backyard, so any sort of push toy was great-- lawn mowers, fire/dump trucks that the child can either sit on or push from behind, etc. Open 'play tents' (these are inexpensive, not like the real camping ones) were great for them to explore and have a fun place to chill out, too. We still play with those. Tip-- I would bring a big blanket and pack-n-play outside with me just in case I needed to quickly contain one boy while dealing with the other. Never leave them outside by themselves, so if you need to change a diaper in the yard it's easier if you don't have to chase your other little one to get that stick/rock/bug/whatever out of their mouth. I was alone with them all the time, and that worked best for me. We also went to the park often. It's easier when they're so small and only starting to walk around. Things will change quickly when they learn they can run away from you in opposite directions. :-) Remember that they're learning so much about the world right now that everything is fun-- don't try too hard to do too much at one time or you'll end up overstimulating them (with the resulting meltdowns). It's a lot easier to amuse and amaze your little ones than you would think. Bubbles, water tables, kiddie pools (even with just enough water to swish around)-- all that stuff can be so fun. And don't forget about the swings at the park. As they get bigger and have more control over their bodies they'll have more and more fun with that, too.

Try going to the Little Gym

Around the time my twins started walking we got a membership to the Long Island Children's Museum. They have a great "tot spot" area only for kids 3 and under, and it was a safe, contained, stimulating place for them to toddle around for an hour or so. It was particularly good during the hot-hot days of summer, when it was nice to be inside in air conditioning for a while.

Check around with other children's museums near you to see if they have something like that -- I'm pretty sure the Hall of Science in Flushing-Corona Park does.

Enjoy! My girls are now 3-1/2. It just keeps getting more fun!
-A.

1 / 3