Things to Do in Las Vegas with 4 Year Old??

Dear MaMas,
My husband and I will be taking a road trip to Las Vegas this week with our 4 year old boy & girl twins. The last time when we went to Las Vegas was 7 years ago before the kids were born, so we only know what to do in L.V. as for adults, but this time we want to make this trip totally devoted to kids' having a good time away from home. We are going to my husband's conference, so half of the days I will have to entertain the two kids myself. What are the things that we can do so our kids can have great fun there? My husband and I are not planning to do any gambling (slot machine, etc. ) this time for our kids' sake, and we will be staying at Wynn Hotel.

Thanks very much in advance for your collective suggestions!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g45963-s1/Las-Vegas:Nev...

Scroll down the page to the "things to do" section, looks like there is a lot!

The pool
drive out to red rock for a "hike"
The strip at night
Circus Circus is gross
food in Vegas is expensive-so, keep that in mind
My kids were fascinated by all the butts and boobs that are everywhere in Vegas
The Bellagio garden

Truthfully, Vegas is not for kids.
Of course you can take them to all of the schmaltzy attractions on the strip--dancing waters, Treasure Island ship, etc.
I'd concentrate on things like the Hoover Dam, etc. AROUND Vegas.

I'm not so sure about activities on the strip or what you are looking for - inside vs outside but here are my favs. The Bellagio water show and conservatory are always fun. The Leid Discovery Museum is a lot of fun and hands on. the springs preserve has a fantastic park and is a good place for walking off some energy. I haven't been in a while but Bonnie Springs used to have a small petting zoo and was pretty fun - this is near Red Rock (which I don't think is free).
Also - from a fellow twin mom - you DO NOT want to take your kids to the playground at Towne Square by yourself if they go two different directions you won't be able to keep track of both of them! I about had a panic attack there the other day! Of course I was chasing my 16 month old while my 4 yr old girls were playing...
Hope you have a great time!

What, they don't gamble? :)

I was just there this past weekend with my kids, 16 and 9 and they actually have more kid friendly things on the strip if your up for walking. They have side show proformers, M & M World (which they both loved) and inside Circus Circus they have carnival games and video games, all kinds of kid stuff!! Not to mention all the museums and gift shops inside the casinos. If you get a chance take them to the Flamino Hotel, they have a "Bird sanctuary" of sorts with birds, Koi fish, fountain, etc. My kids really enjoyed that too. I think you and your family will have loads of fun!! Enjoy!
M. A.

The Lion Habitat at the MGM closed a month or two ago. There is a Children's Museum just North of downtown.
Keep the kids off the strip if you can (in terms of walking). There are so many things out there you will not want them to see. If you can make it down to Towne Square (if you have a car), they have a great playground for the kids, a movie theater, shops, restaurants and pottery studio (Color Me Mine type place). You can spend a whole day there with a little something for everyone! They also have a Whole Foods there so if you want to have a healthy lunch or grab some food for the hotel, it's a one stop shop!

My son loves Vegas! We started taking him when he was 5.
1) Secret Garden at Mirage - White tigers and dolphins, the most beautiful lions you'll ever see. Plus other animals.
2) Shark Reef at Mandalay Bay - awesome
3) M&M Store - which is next to Coca Cola Store and there is an arcade underneath them
4) Circus, Circus has all sorts of circus acts plus Adventure Dome rides
5) Arcades at Exaclibur and New York, NY
6) Mac King Magic Show at Harrahs. His shows are for kids and they are during the day. He's really fun and he meets and greets everyone after the show.
7) Cirque Du Soleil Shows - My son's favorite is Mystere at Treasure Island
8) Blue Man Group - very strange show but kids like it.
9) My husband and son like to stay at Monte Carlo and use the pool - lazy river and wave pool.
10) You can drive out to Red Rocks and take a hike
11) If you got to Gocitykids.com you can get an idea of things to do for younger kids and a list of some of the museums.

Have fun!

We live two hours North of Las Vegas and go there about every other month with our three year old. There is a great children's museum, and the Spring's Preserve (part museum, animals, outside play area) is also fun for little ones. If you want to get out and hike a little, Red Rock Canyon is close by and is beautiful and has a bunch of real trails, and one for the younger kids. There is a train in Boulder (right outside of Vegas) you can ride on, it is kind of fun to be on a real train. It is a 45 minute ride, but it goes out and back really slow only a few miles. If they love trains, it is still fun for them.

At the casinos, Circus Circus has carnival games, rides, a clown show every hour or so, and the acrobat/circus performers about every 45 minutes. We also like the free mermaid show in a huge aquarium at the Silverton Casino and the Bellagio fountain show.

There is a lot to keep you all entertained, have fun :)

1 / 3