Thermos

Hi Mamas,

Now that we are well under way into the schoo year..I've gotten into the routine of packing my daughter's lunch for school. She's been ok with peanut butter and jelly, however, I know she loves chicken noodle soup. Can you tell me what kind/brand thermos would work the best in keeping food warm so she could enjoy her soup? Where you'd purchase it? Also, it needs to be a small thermos since her lunch box isn't that big. Thanks!

We bought the one at Target that others have mentioned...but I had to have two due to having twins...honestly, it made me sick having to pay 14.00 each for those things but my one twin said he really enjoyed his chicken noodle soup the next day. He better like Star Wars for many years because he will be using it a long time for that price! LOL

Foogo, Funtainer or Pottery Barn. They're all great - but not exactly small. You can purchase the first two on Amazon.

Also, just because of how easily kids spill things, put less of the broth part in the thermos than you'd normally do when you serve soup. That way she gets more of the good stuff and is less likely to tip over a ton of liquid.

We have had good luck with Foogo and putting hot water in the thermos before the soup really does help it stay warmer longer!

Funtainer, which is about $15 at Target. It keeps food warm, has a wide mouth so it's easy to eat things like soup and pasta and short enough to fit into a lunchbox. We use it for wet/spoonable thing like soup, pasta, mac and cheese as well as dry foods like chicken nuggets, dinner leftovers, soft tacos (rolled like burritos) and bagel bites (stacked with a little square of parchment paper in between to keep the cheese from sticking). The kids also like having a thermos of meatballs and sauce and a little sub roll with cheese in it and they can have a hot meatball sub for lunch. This also works for steak and cheese or grilled chicken. So many options!

CafePress.com has Funtainers that you can personalize. They're more expensive than the generic ones, but my younger boys have been using personalized ones for almost a year and haven't lost one yet. They lost a couple of the generic ones a year before that. Thermos also makes a really great small stainless steel water bottle with a built in straw and flip top and you can get those personalized to match the Funtainer as well.

I just sent 2 of my kids off with thermos lunches...scalloped potatoes and tri tip from last night's Labor Day bbq. We purchased the thermoses at target...about 15 buckaroos a piece. It sounds like a lot of money. But it works great and the kids get a change from peanut butter and jelly. In the long run it saves money and is better on the environment than ziploc plastic baggies. We do soups,chili,left over dinners etc. One time I sent them each with ice cream in their lunches...they had a pleasant surprise come lunchtime!!

Happy thermos hunting! Good luck and best wishes on many non jelly filled lunches!
Oh..I just read a response about putting water in the thermose then dumping it out then putting the food in. That is exactly what the directions on the thermos tell you to do. Hot water first for hot foods...Cold water first for cold things. Read the directions!

I use the Foogo brand - they work fairly well. One way I keep food warmer for longer is put hot water in the thermos for 8-10 minutes. Then I drain it out and put the heated food in there. It keeps it warmer for longer.

Thermos makes a short, fat hot food container that is perfect for kid's lunches/lunch boxes. It's wide enough that it's easy to get a spoon or fork into, but small enough to fit into a kid's lunch box.

We have been having great success with the funtainer food thermos. We bought ours at Target. I boil some water when we get up and fill up the thermos to warm it up. Then right before we leave I heat up the food, dump the water and fill the thermos. We have tested it and it seems to last really well for about 4 hours, sometimes 5.

1 / 3