Thermometer Recommendation

Can anyone recommend a decent thermometer for a toddler? I've had bad luck with ear thermometers (tried several brands - extremely inaccurate) and the digital oral ones are often inaccurate too and hard to keep in a toddler's mouth. The rectal seems the most accurate, but the kids hate them and you don't really want to have to undress your kid in the middle of the night when they awake with a fever. Any other solutions?

Thanks so much to everyone for the great advice! Sounds like the majority recommend the Exergen temporal thermometer. I have not tried it and it sounds like the perfect solution - so I guess I'll take the $$$ plunge and see how it goes. Thank you all!

Sorry to respond so late but i wanted you to know the temporal thermometer is available at Costco if you are a member. i've looked into it and they appear to be cheapest.

I got mine at wal-mart.com cheaper than i could find anywhere else. But, it's so worth the money, it saves a lot of aggreviation

This is the BEST thermometer! Here is the link. It's called the Braun ThermoScan. I bought it at buybuybaby.com

http://www.buybuybaby.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SK...;

Get an exergen temporal thermometer they are more $$$ but acurate, fast and well worth it. It is the same brand they use at our ped. and the same ones we used where I was employed.

I love our thermometer made by Mobi. You can use it on the ear or forehead. I really only use it on the forehead. I find it accurate and really easy to use. I bought it last year when our then 2 year old was sick off and on the entire winter. We had lots of fevers... I'm pretty sure I got it at BabiesRUS, but here it is at Target too:
http://www.target.com/gp/search/177-###-###-####-###-###-...

Sorry for the late response as well. I just wanted to offer another suggestion for the temporal thermometer. We recently purchased the Thermofocus by Kidzmed (http://www.kidzmed.com/ccp0-prodshow/01500.html). It is by far the most expensive. The only reason I mention it is because I actually read enough negative reviews of the Exergen that we decided to go with the Thermofocus. I believe they actually work differently--so you're not just paying more for the same thing. It costs around $70. We got ours at Walgreens when our daughter was sick and we didn't want to have to wake her to take a rectal temp. I will say that she's not crazy about the red lights on her forehead, but you can take it on the navel for infants...not sure about toddlers. It can also take the temp of the air and water...even food or bottles. You can even use it when your child is asleep.
We also have a digital thermometer that we use rectally...our daughter still tolerates it. :-) Good luck!

Exergen Temporal Artery Thermometer - http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2267477

worth every penny - i used to have to fight my daughter to get her to stay still enough - we had a cheaper version of a temple thermometer (that you had to hold in one spot for like 10-15 seconds) we tried a pacifier model too....

this one by far is the best - my daugther thinks its a fun game and likes to put it on our forehead too.

I am sorry that I didn't see your request for info until you gave your results reply.
I have both a rectal and a temporal thermometer. My infants have never liked the temporal thermometer and will not sit still for it. Your children may be different/older, but I can also tell you that my Pediatricians (had to move) and all the other Doc's I have had to use when the Pediatrician is not available, reccommend the rectal or armpit thermometer as the best, and then they reccommend the ear thermometer before they would ever consider the temporal ones.
As for using the temporal thermometer, it has always provided different temperatures each time we use it successively. Even when using it on my husband or myself! Generally we take the temp 3 times and have to average the temp. Even then, when we take the temp with the rectal one, we have been severelly Wrong, a differenc of a whole degree! This thermometer is not accurate, and is a huge waste of money.
My children also do not care for the rectal thermometer, but we make it work. If they are too squirmy/upset, we take it out, calm them and try again. When we are up in the middle of the night with them sick we just change the diaper, the cool air also helps to cool them down, should they have a temp anyways.
Sorry and Goodluck,
W.

I have a thermoter that you scan over the forehead. It's expensive about $40 but worth every penny. It has seemed accurate to me and it literally takes a second. I put it in front of my forehead press the button and it beeps a second later. It has worked great for my son because he would never stay still to take his temp-this one I just sneak up on him scan it front of his forehead and get a temp. It works on my daughter too.

We have one by Timex. It's a digital oral thermometer, but the part that goes in your mouth is curved so the whole thing looks like a question mark. It keeps it in the right place under their tongues so they don't have to sit so still, and it reads very quickly. Good luck!

There is a new type of thermometer being used, I assume you can buy it. It uses infrared light to "read" the temperature of a person's forehead. There's a large vein in our foreheads that conducts the heat, of course, when there's a fever. By just passing this thermometer in front of the the forehead for about 10 sec., it can get a reading. I've seen it used on my daughter (age 9) when we went to the urgent care center. I asked about it's accuracy, and the nurse said they used it alongside other thermometers, initially, and they both gave the same temp, so they gave up the other kinds they were using. I have no idea how expensive it is, but it's quick, and not at all invasive. Good luck.

1 / 3