The Truth About Hot Dogs!!!

Hi Moms. My son will be 4 in December, and his food choices are mainly chicken and steak, rice... I never gave him hot dogs, because we don't normally make them or eat them at home. This summer we grilled hot dogs and he tried one , and he just loved it. He's eaten it a few times since, basically if I make it he'll eat it and asks for it in between but I try not to make them too much. I get the Hebrew National, which is supposed to be all beef and everything good. I am concerned since I really don't know enough about hot dogs. Are they good or bad? Are they considered nutritional or just horrible? Are there brands that are better than others, and if so is the taste the same? I am trying to decide if this item should become a once a week lunch item for him. Thank you

Thank you everyone. I think I will stay off the once a week idea for now, and limit it to summer time food only. It's important to me what he eats, but its also difficult since he is a picky eater. I do get mostly organic foods, specially meats and I would hate to give him anything that could potentially be bad or bring on illness later in life. I'm pretty concious with his intake, though he gets some junk food like cookies and fruit snacks, he mainly eats pretty simple and nothing fried. I guess his pickiness has worked for me so far, since he doesn't even like french fries, nuggets, and even hamburgers. He eats a lot of the same foods all the time, and he is starting to get tired of them, I can tell. He's not big on veggies but loves fruits, so I try to compensate that way. I have told him that once he turns 4, he has to start trying some new foods including vegtables since he is going to be such a big boy, and he's been very receptive to that, and likes to talk about the experiences he will be open to once he turnes 4, but not just yet. Well, thank you all again for your advice, specially the article was very helpful in realizing even the uncured dogs are not that great. I think I will stick to summer time and once in a blue moon for this one...

Unfortunately, my son tends to favor hot dogs too, and my son is the pickiest of eaters, so basically I have to give him whatever he will eat. Hot dogs tend to be filled with lots of unpleasant stuff, from nitrates/nitrites to meat fillers, etc. I've tried giving him organic hot dogs, but he wouldn't eat them. I would love to hear if anyone knows which mainstream brands are "healthier" than others!

If he likes them and had no bad reaction, and you give him veggies on the side then 1 meal a week should be fine. My girl loves them too but I alternate with tofu hot dogs (w eggs for b'fast). I buy brand Tofu Pups or Smart Dogs. She tastes the difference but likes these as well as beef hot dogs.

P.-
i buy the turkey hot dogs, i think they are Oscar Meyer brand. they have less fat and calories than the beef ones.

Most hot dogs, inclusing Hebrew National, are very unhealthy because of the sodium nitrite (which is also in bacon and most lunch meat). There is a proven link between consumption and cancer. There are hot dogs that are uncured like Applegate Farms. You can find them at Whole Foods and some grocery stores. They aren't health food but the truth is we all need quick, yummy foods our kids will eat. It is the only kind of hotdog (or lunch meat) that we will buy for the house. I don't go nuts if my kids have a regular hot dog out but I would never add a traditional (Hebrew National, Ballpark, Oscar Meyer) hotdog to my kids doet every week.

Hi!
I have always disliked hot dogs...but then yes, my mom feeds it to them and they've wanted them...

I don't go nuts, but I do get the nitrate-free beef dogs as well as turkey dogs and even the vegetarian hot dogs (my kids LOVE those, believe it or not!). Did you try offering sausage as well as an alternative?

Kids just love to dip it in ketchup, mustard, etc...so yes, my kids like french fries, chicken nuggets, etc...
So, if you do get another kind of dog, dipping it in something may "mask" the flavor...

I also try to offer balance as well - so some junk is okay as long as you make sure they eat healthy stuff...

Hi P.,
Hebrew National may be better than some other types of hot dogs, but hot dogs are still full of fat, salt, nitrates. They are an occasional treat. I don't know exactly how the nutritional content of something like a turkey dog compares other than being less fatty, but you might want to check that out. Hot dogs aren't a healthy protein. I remember when my daughter was 3 and didn't like meat other than chicken nuggets or hot dogs and the pediatrician we used at the time said he'd rather she eat no meat at all than eat hot dogs.

When my children were small, they had hotdogs more often but now it is very rare and they are in their teens.

I limit hotdog consumption to once every other month or every two months. It's like nostaglia food. We spend time reminiscing on when they were little and ate franks and beans on the patio and played with the neighborhood children running through the sprinklers in the back yard.

It's great to have memory foods and your staples too. Hotdogs just isn't one of my staples. As a working mom, I find recipies for 30 minute or less meals the best.

Hi P.,
My advice to you is to limit hot dogs as much as possible. There is not one health benifit in eating a HD. My kids are 16 and 13 and HD's were a part of their growing up. However, had I known what I know now, they would have been avoided at all costs. Just do a little research...try google...to find anything "good" about a hot dog. Fruits and veggies and very little amounts of animal products. I have spent hours researching different healthy ways to eat, and it all boyles down to fruits and veggies. It is so hard in our society to know what is best...there is so many unhealthy foods out there that "taste good" so we add them to our diet because they taste good... what I have learned is that foods that come from natural places, i.e. foods that come from the ground, are the foods our bodies need. If you have some free time, try to get on the internet to do some of your own research. You will be surprised about what you find. Good luck...

1 / 3