The Truth About Direct TV and Dish Network

I currently use Comcast as my cable and internet provider but the bill is a bit crazy as we only have basic cable, not even digital. I have seen all the advertising and even went so far as to have a date for installation for Dish TV but my husband nixed the idea and brought up the whole, "What happens when it rains?" scenario that I have heard about. Is it true that you will lose reception if the weather is bad? We get pretty regular thunderstorms during the summer here and I would hate to have to deal with that.

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I was all set to go with DirectTV but when I called after all the extra little fees and taxes it was the same price that I currently pay for my Comcast service. I'm staying with my Comcast service, which I do like I just was looking to get a better price.

When I was in IN I had cable and my DH (boyfriend at the time) had the dish. My cable went out far more often than his satellite service. Cable gets there feed from satellite too, the dishes are just different. While there's are better they aren't perfect either.

The signal does go out with Dish and Direct when it's very windy or storming. We actually switched to Dish recently and have noticed many more problems with it than we had with Direct TV.

From experience you don't lose your cable every time it rains. I am with Directv and we only lose our signal when it is hailing or we are having severe, severe weather. Other than that it can be raining and lightening and we still have our cable without any problems.

Well, S.
I have never used Dish Network, But I have used Direct before. I loved it. I never hda a problem with the customer service people or anything like that. I have had problems with it going out during those hard rain storms. But light rain does not bother it. If you call them and let them know its out alot of times they will credit you. If its hours at time. Hope this helps. Don't get Charter! Thats who I have now and they are a RIP OFF! My bill is never what is suppose to be.

It's called "rain fade" but it only occurs during truly torrential downpours, which generally only occur for a few minutes of a VERY heavy storm, when the rain is just beating down on you. If it happened every time it rained, no one would subscribe to satellite TV.

You know when you're driving on the highway, and the rain starts getting harder and harder until you can't see ANYTHING even with the wipers going as fast as possible, and you're trying to figure out how to pull off to the side of the road without killing yourself? "Blinding rain" in other words. That's about how hard it has to be raining for the rain fade to be a problem.

Most rainy days, even most storms, there is no interruption of the signal at all, so I certainly wouldn't make that the deal breaker. By comparison, I lose my internet connection much more frequently because of "AT&T line maintenence" or various other technical difficulties.

I work on satellite receivers and I have a TV streaming video on my desk more or less constantly, and I don't see rain fade very often at all - I'm always a little suprised when I see the "signal lost" screen come up
and then I look outside and see that "oh yeah, the building is about to float away. heh heh" It's ALWAYS come back up within 2-5 minutes.

But look around your neighborhood for satellite dishes or ask friends in your area if it's a problem.

Hey S.,
I'm a big fan of Directv! We've been using it for about ten years. We've definitely have had some different results depending on where we lived. Actually, it was more about where and how the dish was installed. A more sturdy base (like directly on the house) is what's made a difference during times of storms with really bad winds. If your dish is mounted on something that doesn't sway or shake, you'll have no problem with keeping a signal. We had a directv when we lived in California and had to deal with Santa Anna winds all the time and still had a signal through it! Oh yeah, the reason why we left comcast was because we got sick of the picture freezing on us and we had digital.

Hey S.!

I have DirecTv...the only time I ever had a problem with service is when there was hurricane-like weather...which I completely understood...and, it only lasted a couple of hours. But, I was still able to watch my dvr'd shows, so it was really no big deal! Good luck!

well who would ever know the truth. I know we had dish and had all those problems you spoke of. But just over the last month we changed to direct tv and a terrible storm came up and we didn't lose reception not once.Trust me we were waiting for it to happen. But was well pleased it didn't. We were introduced to a company called ACN and through them we ordered Direct TV and it was cheaper than calling Direct TV themselves. we learned by going through ACN you get a special discount. Check out the site. The company not only offers TV, but cell phones you can get plans and get MAJOR discounts on the phones,also digital vido phones. Check out product options when you log on...it's worth your wallet. www.mikeandtina.acnrep.com

I switched from Comcast to Dish and am very happy. If it rains lightly, we don't lose TV. If it monsoons, we do. But, it's not the end of the world if TV goes out so, to me, the inconvenience of my TV going out for a rainstorm 2 or 3 times a year is worth all the perks (all digital, better price, etc.)

I'm happy with Dish but I hear that Direct TV gets better reviews. Either from Clark Howard or Consumer Reports...

1 / 3