The Purple/Blue Lips?!

My son is 3 yrs old and so A part of his lips turned purple about 1 day ago.I thought it would go away in the morning.Well I woke him up,and his lips are now purplish and blueish.I am so worried.Should I worry?

I called the doctor and he said to check up on him every 2 hours and i will take him early morning to the doctor.I will post back after the visit
EDIT:The doctor gave us some pills to help him.He said if it is still there by Thurs. To come back.He thinks its been something he has been eating so now we are trying a diet.His lips are still purple but not as bad.Crossing my fingers it will work out

You should have gotten him to the doctor. It usually means that he's not getting enough oxygen to his blood.

Please get him to the doctor for an assessment.

Don't mess with self diagnosis or a moms forum where we are not Doctors and can't diagnose over the net.

Be safe... Don't compromise health or safety with your child. Go to your pedi ASAP

At the very least, call your pediatricians after hour line and ask. I think it may be worth a trip to the ER as well.

ETA: Please add a What Happened. I'm very concerned about your son and would like to know how he is.

Yes! Did he bang it on something (does it look bruised)? If there was no accident where he hit it on something, a part of your body turning blueish/purplish is a bad sign. It could mean a lack of oxygen in the blood. I hate to be a fear monger, but my aunt had blue toes and mentioned it at her pap, and ended up having emergency bypass surgery later that day due to clogged arteries in her heart and leg. I would take him to the doctor as soon as possible.

Is he having trouble breathing? Is he unusually tired?
If so get him to an ER quickly.

I would get him to the ER now, purple/blue lips indicates lack of oxygen, you need to find out why. I'd be worried.

I know he's young and only three, but my lips started turning purple when I was in my 40s. It eventually turned into puffy, inflamed lips and cheilitis or cheilitis stomatitis (cracks at the corners of the mouth). It took me a few months to figure out it was an allergy/sensitivity issue--I discovered that I have caffeine sensitivity. Once I quit drinking anything with caffeine, the issue went away. I can now drink some caffeine but have to be highly diligent. I'm working on completely quitting all caffeinated products but am finding it hard to do. ;)

I would look over what your child has been eating. Is there anything new he has been exposed to? It could be something as simple as something that even touches his lips, making them respond by turning color.

Just another idea to explore.

Lack of oxygen.I think by now,you know what to do.

1 / 3