The Nap Nanny...

I'm trying to transfer my 5 month old from co-sleeping to crib. Up until now she really only slept well in my arms, but as she has gotten bigger she is getting less and less comfortable. I'm wondering if the nap nanny infant positioner will make the transition easier for her? Anybody use it for this particular issue?

Thanks,
M

I think this was recalled late last year. They also issued a warning about all sleep positioners. The baby does not always stay in one position while sleeping and can end up with the face against the positioner, unable to breathe. My 3 yr old is one of those that is all over the place, always has been.

The nap nanny was recalled back in summer last year. They may have made changes since then, or its unlikely they would be seeling it still. Our dr has always said not to put anything in the bed with your baby, this includes any positioning aides (even foam wedges to keep the baby from rolling over). Any of these things can increase chance of SIDS.

don't use it! it's very dangerous. at least one baby died b/c he somehow go wedged in between teh nanny and the crib side or something like that. for that age, you don't want anything in the crib except a tightly fitted sheet. no blankets, no pillows, no stuffed animals, and certainly no nap nanny. bumpers are also discouraged but if you want one (we needed one to keep his binkies from falling out), they sell an awesome mesh bumper that's breathable that i wish we had found out about sooner. good luck!

If your baby can roll over, then don't use anything. I know it's going to be difficult, but you are going to have to start letting her soothe herself!

I'm not sure but haven't some infant positioners been recalled? And I think the government has issued a warning on using them. You should look into it.

No experience with the Nap Nanny myself, except to say don't put it in the crib. Babies have suffocated from rolling sideways on them and getting their heads stuck between the Nap Nanny and the side of the crib. They had a recall and made some adjustments, but they are only to be placed on a flat surface, floor level, with plenty of empty space around all sides.

The Nap Nanny was recalled in July 2010, if you find them for sale in a store contact the store manager.
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10309.html

There is a new version called the Nap Nanny Chill and as with the original Nap Nanny the manufacturer states on their site:
"Not for use in a crib - intended for floor use only"

It is not safe to use these in a crib, but only on the floor and supervised. They were recalled, but I'm sure there are some for sale since many stores don't bother to check or might miss some. I have heard many people who like the Rock n Play sleeper by Fisher Price, but that's a stand-alone thing, kind of like a swing. Not sure how long you can use it. Around 5 months is a time of major sleep troubles for lots of babies. You might like the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Weissbluth. It's a wonderful sleep reference with lots of ideas and you can read only the parts of it that apply to you at that time.

1 / 3