The Flu Shot? - Ogdensburg,NY

Is the flu shot definitely a dead virus that they give you? I know I probably sound crazy asking this question but I have OCD and it makes you stress and worry about the dumbest stuff sometimes so....
I have a 2 yr old at home and I am 6 months pregnant so I am petrified of the flu with it being flu season and all. Someone who just got the flu shot yesterday wants to come to visit and I am a bit apprehensive to say yes because I am paranoid
Please someone tell me that I am just being OCD crazy

Thanks

Mama:

Take a deep breath - let it out slowly - now take another one...let it out slowly...

You are being paranoid. They are safe to come over...remember to breath...you will be fine...

The flu shot is a dead virus that they give you, the flu mist is a live tenuated(altered) virus and neither can give you the flu. If you are not allergic to eggs(egg protein can be used as a base for the vaccine) you should be fine. To those who say they get sick right after getting the vaccine, this is usually a coincidence and you were going to get sick anyway. For the 2 weeks after you get the vaccine, get plenty of rest, drink plenty of fluids and eat healthy...no wait that is all the time. This healthy way will give you immune system the best use of the vaccine and help keep you from getting other bugs as well. Hand washing, staying away from huge crowds and stores when you don't need to be there are the best way to keep things healthy for you. It is recommended for pregnant women, young children, elderly and those with immune system compromises. Here is to a healthy winter for you and a wonderful new addition. Happy Thanksgiving.

There is no risk to you. You ARE at risk of catching the flu from some unvaccinated person who has it. Or your own child if he isn't vaccinated or vice versa. Or some unvaccinated little kid running around whose parents didn't get him the whooping cough vaccination or something.

When people get the flu mist vaccination, there is a tiny chance that they can pass the virus through a sneeze, but only for the hour or so after getting the spray.

So, yes, you are being OCD crazy. The flu vaccine creates immunity. Without the vaccine, you are extremely unlikly to be immune, and thus you are vulnerable to everyone else. Not your friend.

You are perfectly safe from someone who got the flu shot. You're more safe from the flu from someone who got the flu shot than from someone who didn't get it. You should actually go get the flu shot for yourself while you're pregnant since you're going to be pregnant during the worst of the flu season. Protect yourself and the baby and your 2 year old. Get your 2 year old vaccinated as well. Influenza is nothing to mess with.

The shot is dead virus. The FluMist that you inhale has some live virus in it. That one makes me a bit nervous, but it's perfectly safe.

You can get some soreness in the arm at the vaccination site. You can get some nausea, a headache, irritability, some tiredness, and a low grade fever up to 100.5 but that's all normal. It typically can last up to three days. Tylenol usually takes care of the symptoms for children and adults, and it's safe to take when you're pregnant.

Yes, it's okay for them to come over.

But the flu freaks me out too!

The shot is a killed virus. The flu mist (that they give as a nasal spray) is a weakened live virus. Make sure they got the shot and not the mist, if you're that OCD paranoid, and enjoy their company. Try to relax. Pregnancy is supposed to be a joyous time! =) Good luck!

go get a flu shot and stop being ocd crazy. congrats on the new baby! i also hated flu season with a pregnant belly and infants ... i was ocd crazy too!

Hi.
You are not OCD crazy. I have OCD of the brain -- that is I get anxious thoughts when my son gets hurt....So I understand where you are coming from.
You are safe. You are secure. Your friend who had the shot cannot give you the germs from the shot. It is in her system. I promise you.
Enjoy your friend.
and good for you for asking the question.
It is important to talk and get support for the issues that concern you. I know from experience.
Jilly

Mama:

1 / 3