The Correct Way to Wear Your Wedding Ring

Silly question... what is the proper/correct way to wear your wedding ring with your engagement ring? I have heard to wear the engagement ring with the wedding ring on top (the order they were received). I've also heard to wear the wedding ring first with the engagement ring on top so that the wedding ring is closest to your heart. Is there a right or proper way to wear them?? :-)

Very interesting responses! Thank you all for your input! I am married and have always worn my engagement ring first then the wedding band to symbolize the story or the order in which things happened. That's the way I was told to do it too. I just noticed others who wear theirs opposite and so I thought I'd see what you all out here in Mamapedia World thought. Today, I switched it around to see if it "felt" different to me, and it doesn't! So I guess I will wear it however it ends up! LOL! :-)

I wear my wedding band first, then my engagement ring second. I don't know if this is the "proper" way to wear them, but I always assumed so. If I did it the other way it'd feel backwards. Congrats!

Well my engagement ring and wedding ring are sodered together. I wear my 1 year anniversary band first then my engement/wedding ring. It just lays better that way. Also I only take them off to clean them. I wore them while pregnant with both of my kids. This was a fun post :)

Okay, so apparently I have been doing this wrong for the past 5 years. I was told to wear the engagement ring in. I just switched them around, and they feel okay, but visibly it looks weird after having them the other way for so long. I'll give it about a week, and if I don't get used to them that way, I'm going to switch back.

wedding ring closest to your heart~

I've always heard the wedding band closer to your heart thing and then the engagement ring, so that is how I wear mine. I haven't seen it the other way, but I guess it doesn't really matter in the big picture =)

Wedding ring first, closest to heart. Also, if you are not yet married, it is considered proper to put your engagement ring on your right hand during the ceremony, then move it back afterwards on top of the wedding band. Of course, do what suits you best.

Wedding ring closest to your heart!

Tradition is wedding band closest to your heart and engagement ring on the outside.

I chose not to have mine soldered together so I could wear just my band if I wished. Then again, I didn't and still don't want a diamond. I wanted our commitment for each other to be the most valuable part of the process, not the ring.....and I love my blue topaz stone.

Wedding ring first, then engagement ring. Wedding sets are sold to be worn that way and if you have a jeweler solder your rings together, as I did, that's the way they'll do it.
That said, wear it however you're comfortable. Some people wear their wedding ring on their left hand and their engagement ring on their right after the wedding.

I think the way it's 'supposed' to be is wedding band (closest to heart) then engagement ring.

For me, we got married so young, all we could afford was the wedding band. At our 10 year anniversary he bought me a beautiful solitaire that looks like an engagement ring. Well, to me, the 10 year ring meant more than the initial ring since it's symbolized a lot of ups and downs for us and that we're still together....so it now is closest and my band is second. And the solitaire's a tad loose so I'd be devastated if I lost it. Anyway, to someone who didn't know, it appears backwards, but for me, it's right :)

1 / 3