The "Always Changing" Program at School for Girls?

Is anyone familiar with this program? They are planning to show the movie at my daughters 4th & 5th grade school tomorrow- we have the option to opt out. Obviously it is about puberty and the physical and emotional changes that go along with it. I am going to do some research online about it but was just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience. She is 9 and we have discussed puberty and some of the changes but did not go into alot of detail. My daughter is shy and even gets embarrased talking to me about these things. She just says "I know, I know" and tries to hurry me along. I wonder if it would benefit her from watching it as a group and not being "singled out" on the conversation. What are your thoughts about these films in school. I remember watching one when I was in school, but I thought most schools did away with this.

Let me know what you think?

I think it's necessary information they are giving her, just the basics. Maybe it's all stuff you have already talked to her about. But, in the school setting among her girl peers maybe she will get something more out of it then she did when she was embarrassed in front of her mother. I am all for it.

I think her being there with her girl friends and not being alone would help her see this is a normal thing she will have to go through. It was never easy for me to talk to my mom about this stuff but seeing it and maybe joking " can you belive that movie" with her friends may help her. Even may ask you about something. I say let her go.

I think it would be beneficial! From my experience young girls think they know about their bodies, puberty, how it all works, but they usually don't! ;) It's normal for her to be pretty embarrased talking to you about it, but with this forum she can absorb the information she needs and all her friends will be getting the same information which is also helpful! I'd let her watch it and maybe when she comes home, see if she wants to talk about it, but don't worry if she doesn't.

I believe it is beneficial for them!! It was always easier for me to talk to someone other than my mom at that age (about that topic). I'm not sure why... Also some of the other kids may even have the same kind of questions your daughter is embarrassed to ask you about so she will realize she's not the only one!

All education is beneficial.

If they were offering advanced sciences, I bet you would not have to see a video or presentation about it.. You would be the first to sign up.

Guess what, this is "advanced female anatomy", of course she should be a part of it.

Let her watch it, then discuss it with her. American Girl has a great line of books for girls, including "The Care and Keeping of You". I would encourage you to continue discussing things with her, even if she is trying to hurry you along. My oldest is 12 1/2, we have always had open conversations together. I usually let her lead, but have brought up subjects like sex and drugs with her. As a result, she comes to me for advice and isn't afraid to tell me about things she sees and hears at school. When her friends are over she speaks openly is front of me about issues and they have learned it's okay to do so as well. Of course conversations have to be appropriate in language and content. It is so important to be able to talk, because they are faced with so many issues in the next several years and they need to know that no subject is too embarrassing to talk about with you. Make no mistake, some times you are mortified on the inside, but on the out side you need to appear relaxed.

If she won't listen to you tell her about it. Then she is the type of girl that should listen to this at school. Ask her if she has any questions for you before and after watching it.

She definetly needs to watch it. Don't you remeber going through that age? We thought we knew about it and we thought we understood it, but when did you actually understand it? Not to mention the fact that being singled out not to watch it could have negative social effects.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to go out and find a book for her that also addresses questions she may have. You can just leave it in her room and don't mention it to her. She is at a stage where she is uncomfortable confiding in Mom. If you ask her if she would like the book she will tell you no. Just buy it and leave it there for her. Since she is embarrased by it, do not push her and make her uncomfortable.

When she gets home after school ask her how her day went. If she isn't completely squemish ask her about. Just don't push.

1 / 3