Thawed Fish How Long Does It Stay Good?

Hi all, Wondering how long fish will stay good. It is unbreaded. We thawed it in the fridge and kept it on ice. Howlong will it stay good? we only used part of it. will it stay good till next friday? can i refreeze it? I hate fish lol so asking all of these for the hubby. thanks ina dvance for all the responses I hope to get.

Thanks ladies. After some discussion it was decided to ot try and keep it. It was a huge amount of fish left over so we are taking it to the homeless shelter for them to use. It was thawed out yesterday so will still be good thru tomorrow. they can use it up tonight. I hated to throw it out when it is still good. Thanks for all the wonderful ideas ladies.

I guess it depends on how fresh it was when you bought it.

If a fish smells overly FISHY it is old. it should smell like a fresh ocean, not like a dead fish. I usually use fish within a day after I buy it, sometimes two days, but unsually after that I consider it history. I use my nose as a guide!

no way ill it stay good until next friday

Fish and house guests begin to smell after three days.... Do not refreeze the fish, it will last in the fridge 1 or 2 days after thawing.

I've always heard to use the fish within a day of thawing. And DO NOT REFREEZE. It won't be good and can really make you sick to refreeze and then thaw again and eat. If it was me, I would go ahead and toss it. Sorry.....

If you don't cook it it definitely won't last until next Friday. But just go ahead and bake it or saute it today, and then wrap it up well and pop it in the freezer. It will freeze fine . . . I buy frozen pre-cooked fish all the time. The refreezing rule would apply only if you didn't COOK the fish.

If it is less than 48 hours thawed, bake it or saute it and then freeze into individual servings for the next couple of weeks. Otherwise it will need to go. If you are buying fish at a seafood counter have them prepackage into individual servings and only thaw what you will cook at eat that day.

Check out Stilltasty.com. You enter the name of any food and it will tell you how long it is good for in what environment.

1 / 3