Test Read Positive, but Still Have Irregular Spotting

Hello ladies,
I am glad to have a source such as this to turn to. Only my husband knows I am pregnant and of course he is not much help with my pregnancy concerns such as this one. We're unwilling to share the news of this pregnancy until we are totally sure the pregnancy is healthy. I have my first appt w/ my obgyn next Fri because on the 29th of March I had some brown discharge which is usually the first sign that I am about to get my period, but then Wednesday (April 1st) came and no period! Took a pregnancy test w/ shivering hands and it came out positive! Both husband and I rejoiced but then freaked out when this past weekend after running the 5K Race for Cure, I had severe cramping. I run 2mi a day- never had cramps like this before. Cramps passed, no bleeding, so no worries, right? Well, then just this sunday- again brown "pre-period" discharge made its appearance! I have had no real bleeding just brown discharge twice in eight days! Anyone else had this cramping and brown discharge happen during early weeks of pregnancy? I'm afraid obgyn doc will just tell me not to worry, but I can't help it.

Hello Again,
It has been so long (almost a month) since i last posted about my pregnant-yet-still-spotting issue. I saw my obgyn on Apr 17 & she showed me....a beating heart!!! I was very surprised to find out i was already 6 1/2 weeks pregnant! I rushed home and just stared at my sonogram picture of my little angel just sprouting :-) I experienced no spotting ever since then UNTIL yesterday. I was busy at work when I felt "warmth" in my underpants. I rushed to the ladies room to find my underwear covered in blood as if I was menstruating heavily but I had no pain whatsoever. My heart raced, but I managed to calmly return to my office and privately request to leave immediately due to a personal emergency. That afternoon, the dr. quickly did a sonogram to show us a wiggly fetus at 10 wks. I wish I knew whether the baby was really ok. Dr says I will need to go back on 5/26 for another checkup. I still have some light spotting but yet no pain at all. I am taking it as a good sign that I have no cramping but I'm still scared. I wish I had better news to report to you but I will just have to keep praying until next appt. Hope I have better news next time.

Congrats! I know this is a late posting, but you sound like you are having implantation bleeding. It is not uncommon nor would it be worrysome. If you are athletic and have been physically active before you became pregnant, there shouldn't be any reason why you can remain so. Good luck!

You need to slow down. This happened to me & it was caused by walking too much. I had a job where I was on my feet all day. Then also walking on the weekend. The weekend one did it. I had a ultrasound & everything was fine, but boy did I freek.

Hope this helps!

Hi R.,
definitely let your obygyn know what's going on. This happened to me and it ended up just being implantation. However my doctor did have me come in to make sure my hcg levels were going up and not down. Also ask your doctor about running long distances. I use to run 4 days a week but really slowed it down when I got pregnant. I think the body starts to act like it's under stress when you run a long time.
hope this helps and good luck.:)

It is my understanding that having a brown discharge during early pregnancy can be perfectly normal, however, I do highly recommend you see your ob/gyn, especially due to the cramping, and have your hcg levels tested, if for anything peace of mind.
I also think you should tone down the exercise until you learn more about what's causing the cramping and spotting.
I had cramping and spotting during my second pregnancy, so much so that I went to the ER to get checked out, on the advice of my ob/gyn. It turned out that I had bleeding between the placenta and the uterine wall, and was put on bed rest until the hemorrhage went away.
Best of luck!

When I became pregnant with my daughter, I had a day or so of real light brown discharge. I remember feeling disappointed because we really wanted the baby. Well, my period never started, and I peed on the stick two days later. It showed the positive sign pretty quickly, and I was only four weeks along. She turned four last week.

You may want to pee on the stick again for your own frame of mind, but your doctor is the one who would know more/what is going on. As far as exercise, your doctor will let you know what to do.

Good luck, I know it's hard not to tell everybody! Enjoy this time where it's truly just the two of you.

I have misscarried when that happened there was no blood ever and I never cramped. When I did get pregant again I had a very little spotting and cramping. I was so scared and thought here we go again. But the doctor explained to me that a little spotting was ok and that the cramping was actually the baby making room which might be followed by a little blood. The cramps were about the same as period cramps. To me it sounds like a good sign. I said a prayer for you in hopes that everything will be just as God wanted for your family.

Hi R.,

This early in the pregnancy, there is no way to be sure. I had brown discharge with my first pregnancy. The discharge slowly turned red, and resulted in a miscarriage. With my next two pregnancies, I had heavy red bleeding and had a healthy baby each time! I would suggest going in today and having your hcg levels drawn. You'll then go in again in a couple of days to have them drawn again. Based on the results, they can tell you if the pregnancy is progressing. That way, you don't have to wait until next Friday to know something. Good luck! I wish you all the best.

I had that brown spotting with my first and was told it was my body flushing out the remaining lining that wasn't needed. It made sense to me back then, but now - that sounds weird? Needless to say, it must have been true b/c I have a beautiful, healthy 15 year old daughter! :)
Hang in there...think positive thoughts!

The "severe" cramping is not normal. Although, they passed. The fact that you have spotted brown blood means it is old blood. As long as you aren't cramping anymore and not much red blood, things should be okay. I spotted with both of my pregnancies (quite a bit, I might add) and had minor cramping for months. With my daughter, at 8 weeks I bled so much I thought I was miscarrying. It only lasted a few hours but it was a lot! I happened to have an U/S scheduled the next day and was in there crying, just waiting for them to tell me I was miscarrying. Turns out, when the egg attaches, sometimes a pocket of blood gets trapped between the fertilized egg and uterine wall and it broke loose. Who knew. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless the severe cramps start again. You might call the nurses line at your OB's office to talk it over. They might be able to make you feel better. I hope all goes well for you!!

Hope this helps!

1 / 3