Tempurpedic Vs. Sleep Number Bed?

Hello Mamas! We are thinking about getting a Tempurpedic or Sleep Number bed. My husband suffers from chronic back pain (and it's time to get rid or our old spring mattress anyway). Would love to hear from anyone who has either...pros, cons...is it really worth the money...etc. Thanks!

The worst mattress I have ever had was a Sleep Number bed. All of my mattresses in the past 15 years have been queen size, except for an electric hospital type bed (bought that so I could change my position without getting up). The sleep number air bladders were separated with a soft foam strip in between and I always ended up in that "hole" in the middle without any support, worse for my back. A friend also had the same problem with his and he got rid of it, too. After MANY THOUSANDS of dollars on mattresses, I have had Sealy, Simmons, Stearns and Foster, Somma Supreme with water tubes, and tried a few others in the past 15 years and they were all in the higher bracket, not the low end cheap ones. About 3 months ago, I bought a SERTA with a memory foam, though I think I needed one a little more firm, it has been the best. My son and daughter-in-law have a Tempur-pedic and love it, and my neighbors love theirs, though they all said it takes a while to "break in". I just didn't want to spend the $3000.
Interestingly the BEST INVESTMENT above and beyond the mattresses, was the NUTRITION that truly CHANGED MY LIFE with the back pain. I had dealt with back pain due to failed surgery, spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease, multitudes of injections, therapies, traction, and way much more....long term disability...NOW no drs. no meds, no disability. If it were not for my Nutritional Products, NO MATTRESS would have made the difference on my back.

Oh my, I have been in your husbands shoes. I have a ruptured disk in my lower back and suffered from back pain when I would awaken every morning from a spring mattress. Not fun! When we bought our house 6 years ago that is one of the things I wanted to get was a Sleep Number bed. Now I wake up and my back doesn't hurt anymore. In fact, it has gotten better. I didn't have to have surgery because the pain isn't there. Now granted I may do something to strain it, but by morning it doesn't hurt anymore or as bad, depending on what I did :-)
Now my parents have the other bed and love it. My mom has had 4 back surgeries and loves her bed.
My suggestion is go to the stores that have these beds and test them out. The sleep number bed will tell you what your number is by way of a computer program. Really cool too. Then make your decision. The stores will let you lay on the beds as long as you like to try them out. Great way to see which bed your husband would prefer. My choice is the Select Comfort...infact coming home from vacations is the most awesome thing...I get to sleep in my bed that fits me and my back will stop hurting again. Hope this helps. Good luck and God Bless.
P.S. I just read some of the other responses...we have a king size bed and have never had any trouble with our seperate numbers. My husbands is much higher than mine is. The only time my number changes is when he inadvertently rolls over to my side of the bed...I push him back to his and all is well. Never had any problems with having different numbers.

Two years ago I bought a high end Serta perfect sleeper. It has the same foam the tempurpedic has in it just not as much and on top of the springs. The springs are those individual coils and all that other stuff Serta says. Best of both worlds. I used to sleep with a mess of pillows, now I just use one small one. Everyone I know with a sleep number says they suck and don't ever get one.

Love our sleep number bed! I'm a back and side sleeper (50), and my husband is a stomach sleeper (80). We have a king bed so no middle of the bed issues like others have mentioned. When my back is out of sorts, I simply adjust the air in the bed up or down until my back doesn't hurt anymore. I believe the Sleep Number bed offers a 30 day free trial, now. Perhaps, you should try the Tempurpedic first for the 90 free days, then try the Sleep Number bed if you don't like it.

We don't have either at the moment but I have looked at both and think we're going with the temperpedic. The store I went to, of course I laid down on both but the sales guy told me to take my time and encouraged me to lay there 15-20 minutes.
I didn't think I'd like the tempurpedic but LOVED IT!
I personally didn't care for the Sleep Number because it felt like a waterbed but with air. And to get a King size we too would have some little connection like someone mentioned which didn't appeal to me.
Both my husband and I have back issues to a certain extent and have been looking for a changer. Our Stearns & Foster is about 15 years old.

Good Luck.

I'm sorry I don't have any info. that would help you decide other than to just try them out. My folks have the sleep number bed and my dad loves it but my mom hates it. And, yes, it was an expensive investment. Maybe see what the return policy is before spending the big bucks. Good luck!

Good Morning M.! For years we had a wonderful waterbed which I LOVED. Free floater. Well hubby started having trouble getting up also. We went to the temprapedic, which hs really likes but I can't seem to get comfy on. We've had it 4 yrs now. I really wished we had tried the Sleep number bed, I think both of us would be happy with it. He needs more firmness, I like soft cushy, with only a tad bit of firmness. He does great with the tempra, I get up sore and achy. It's supposed to form to your Bod. *laughing* maybe my ole bod just isn't formable anymore.

What ever you choose, or think you want see if the company will allow you a 30 trial. Some will, wish we had gone that route. Laying on a bed in a showroom is just not right type of testing, nor long enough.

God Bless and Best of everything to you and yours
K. Nana of 5

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY DAD!!

I have a sleep number- and I doubt we'll ever have anything else ever again. LOVE it. The best part about it is that you can each have your mattress the way you want it, and even if it seems like a slight difference, it can make a huge impact on how comfortable you are. Hubby and I are only like 5 points apart, but I don't want on his side and he doesn't want on mine! :) Now obviously if you're used to snuggling together in the middle of the bed this isn't going to work well for you, but I highly recommend it- well worth the expense.

1 / 3