Temp 105 - Oxford,AL

went to the doctor today My daughter had a fever 105 finally got it down but its expected to come back.he done blood test everything and going in the morn for a bladder check and check temp again i gues what i am asking is for home remedys we are doing popsicles cool baths tylenol all of it i dont no what else to do to help her fell better please help and Pray for my daughter
thank you all

went back to doctor today fever was gone still gets a little feverish but 101 was the highest today shes still sick but shes ok doctor still doesnt no whats wrong so sent stuff in for more test but she is ok thank you all for your prayers she is doing much better still sick but much better thank you all found out its ROSEOlA

I highly recommend piggybacking tylenol and motrin. You give the tylenol then about 20 mins later give the motrin. Sometimes that has been the only thing to give my kids some relief when they've a particularly nasty virus. Little fevers I don't worry about too much but when it really high or they feel miserable I give them something to relieve it.

Avoid the cool baths like Riley J said. Just keep her comfy, hydrated and keep an eye on her temp.

A friend just told me peppermint oil on the nape of neck and soles of feet. Another thing to add to the mix if you want to try.

Is tylenol alone bringing the fever down to a decent level (102.5 ish)? If not give tylenol & motrin at the same time. The modes of action are different (don't take my word for it, check with your healthcare provider/ pharmacist/ 24-7 nurse information line, etc.... but I'm right.) so they're perfectly safe to take together. They work "better" when taken together, so one doesn't usually double tap them, because taking the full dose of each together is too much for a lowgrade or midgrade fever.

LOTS of fluids.

Make sure any baths are 99 degrees (wrist temp) they will feel icy to HER even though they feel lukewarm to you, but doing an actual cool bath can send her system into shock / can be lethal. They're very very dangerous. Hospitals use ice baths all the time, but they also always have a crash cart and anti-seizure meds waiting to get pushed into the IV right next to the tub, since about 50% (or more) of the time, they cause heart attacks or seizures from the shock. Cool baths the numbers are lower, but so often what's thought to be a febrile seizure is actually a fever gotten from putting a feverish child in a cool bath (or by using alcohol).

Cold wet washcloth over her eyes and on the nape of her neck is VERY soothing and helps protect from eye damage.

High fevers are scary, but they can usually be managed at home very easily with tylenol & motrin. If she's getting both and is STILL 103 or higher (while on them, when they wear off the fever will spike again, totally normal), call your doc or hospital. They may have you give the max dose and wait 20 minutes (the max dose isn't on the label, you have to call for it, because it's done by weight) to see if it lowers, or they may have you bring her on in. Being dehydrated, however, will make a fever worse... so if you can't get fluids into her, they may want you to come in anyway for an IV. Usually, however, apple juice & meds & rest at home does the trick. ((Her brain/nervous system needs the sugar, if you have a juice rule, ditch it while she's sick))

I agree with rotating Motrin and Tylenol (I think it is that Motrin works faster and lasts longer?). Cool washcloth on the forehead. Could she have Roseola (sp?). My daughter had that at 18 mos and got a fever up to 105.9 I think. Lasted I think 3 days, then the rash came and she was better. It's a very common virus -- I think I heard 90% of all kids get it.

I really find that children's motrin brings fevers down better than tylenol.. and you can always alternate between tylenol and motrin.. popsicles, lots of fluids (water juice), cool bath, cool compress on forehead.. virus' are nastey and usually high fevers like that the doctors end up saying are viral. good luck, hope your little girl is ok! You are doing a good job mumma!

Riley's advice is spot on.

My son used to spike high temps like that when he was a toddler - very frightening! I piggybacked tylenol and ibuprofren, round the clock - EVEN when his temp read normal on the thermometer I continued the meds, because once they were out of his system he would spike back up to 105 in four hours.

I did the lukewarm, never cold, baths. Also, my pediatrician told me to keep his head damp - wrap it in a damp towel - because we lose most of our heat through our heads and the evaporating dampness from his head would help cool him down.

Set your alarm and check on and medicate her often throughout the night. If you think she needs it - don't be afraid to take her to the ER.

My prayers are with you.

Great information on fevers:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t082100.asp

Hope she feels better soon.

And yes, keep her hydrated - don't worry if she isn't hungry but make sure she is drinking plenty of water and an electrolyte drink as well. We use Vitalyte (you can find it at REI or running stores).
http://www.vitalyte.com/

I would alternate motrin and tylenol. My doc said motrin, then tylenol 3 hours later, then motrin 3 hours later, etc. It keeps each dose of the distinct medicine 6 hours apart but they overlap. Highest we have seen is 104. Be on the lookout for febrile seizures. Motrin is the ONLY thing that helps my kids fevers -- tylenol doesn't seem to touch them.

Best wishes and lots of prayers.

1 / 3