Teething Symptoms in 2 1/2 Month Old?

This seems crazy but he is drooling and sucking on his hands, and crying terribly. His sleep the last 2 nights has been awful. He does not have a fever. Could this possibly be early teething?

Ignore the nay-sayers. :) My son had 2 fully protruding teeth at 3 months old. It is very possible. You could feel around his gums and see if you feel anything starting to come through. Some orajel on the spot will help a bit... or just some chew toys... maybe some crushed ice in one of those net-feeders... even a cold wet rag he can chew on?

It's hard to say. Could be a growth spurt that's keeping him up. The salivatory glands kick in right about now and the excessive drool comes from that. I'm sure he's just now noticing his hands and able to get them into his mouth, and enjoys sucking on them. My little one showed all the same signs as yours and I thought he was teething too very early on and he didn't cut his first tooth until 7 1/2 months old. It is possible for babies to cut teeth that early, but it's more likely a combination of all I mentioned.

Sounds more like a growth spurt. I thought my son was teething that early too, but he didn't cut his first tooth till 9 months. However I do have a friend with a two month old with a tooth, so it's entirely possible. The only way to check is to check their gums. Look for swelling, and little tooth shapes in the front of his gums, on bottom or top(usually bottom for first teeth, and usually one of the front four). If theres no swelling, it's possible there's tooth movement but not likely. Moms usually blame any sudden sleepless nights or fussiness on teething, when it can be just plain fussiness or a growth spurt. My doc always made fun of me for thinking that because my kids drooled or ate their hands I called it teething.

My daughter got her first tooth when she was 4 months old. She cried nonstop until Grandma told me to freeze a wet washcloth then gently put it on her gums. It worked! I assumed my daughter would continue crying if it wasn't a tooth issue. Who wants a cold washcloth in their mouth if it isn't teeth? Good luck.

It certainly can be teething. My daughter started teething at about 2 months and out popped two bottom teeth at the same time, when she was four months. Like some others said, the chilled washcloth helped my daughter more than anything. Give it a try and see if he's interested. But if he's sucking on his hands, that can also mean he's hungry. Every kid is different! Good luck.

Here's teething: all of a sudden bad sleep, fussing and drooling, gnawing on hands. You look in their mouths - nothing. Is it a fever? What about that diarrhea? What's going on here....Then gradually things go back to normal. Then a couple weeks later: hey what's that white thing in their mouth? A ha! A tooth!

Try a little infant ibuprofen at night.

I agree with Suzy. My son is 4 months and he started drooling and chewing his hands a month or so ago and he does not have any teeth coming in yet. Another thing to consider is if you have changed from breastmilk to formula or if you have changed brands of formula. We did this and it caused my little one a lot of pain. No one slept for a week until we figured out that it was the formula causing the discomfort. Good luck with your little guy.

Yes, even though a tooth may not actually break through for another month and a half it is beginning to bother the little guy. Some children don't get bothered by it and so it isn't until four months that they get symptoms. Most importantly do not start any bad habits at night that he may get used to. He is just on the cusp of forming bad habits which is 3 months.

1 / 3