Teething Infant

My almost 5 1/2 month old daughter is teething. Fussy, drooling etc like crazy. I've been trying the homeopathic teething drops by Gentle Naturals cause I want something with more natural ingredients but they don't seem to be helping too much. My husband insists on trying Baby Anbesol but I hear it has harsh chemical that aren't good for infants which is like most things made in today's market. What is everyone's out take on this one?? Is there anything else that you may have tried that is more natural that has worked for your baby??

One of my favorite things for my daughter was the "fruit mesh binkie" that you can buy. It's mesh and washable so you can stick fresh fruit in it so the child doesn't choke...

We would put ice cubes in it and it was an instant relief!

We would also use the teething tabs and infant tylenol (in bad times)

Hope that helps!

I would stick to tylenol and very cold washclothes for chewing. Hylands contains a herbal ingredient - Belladonna that can cause death in certain does. If you google Hylands and Belladonna you will find a lot of information. I stopped using it immediately after reading about it. I didn't think it was worth the risk.

My pediatrician told me not to use orajel or anbesol because of the high alcohol content. My kids started teething early too...and he said it was too risky for them.

Tylenol and a cold cold washcloth to chew on really helps. At about 6mos I let my kids suck on all fruit popsicles a little to help numb their mouths. I also found that distracting them helped a lot.

rub wiskie on her gums or his. not alot wet your finger with it and rub it will numb it or you also can use mint or i think lavander may help call someone in homeopathy medicine or oils

M.,

It's been awhile since we had a teething infant around, but what worked the best for our son was whiskey. Just a touch on the gums, not a lot, but it was enough for him to be able to sleep for a few hours. The pain relief got him through the worst of the pain.

Otherwise we used oral gel, the gel teething rings that you put in the freezer, teething cookies, frozen wash cloths, and a very soft baby tooth brush for him to gum.

But, for the nights that he was screaming and nothing would work, we got out the whiskey. It really did the trick and we only had to use it once or twice.

I hope your daughter is feeling better soon!

-C..

Hope that helps!

I was given tiny little bottles of Schnapp's at my baby shower. I was told to rub a tiny amount on the baby's gums and then drink the rest. Looking back, I think that meant that the teething is harder on the parents because we remember it. I don't remember teething as a baby, do you? And, I'm sure that there wasn't nearly as many teething products on the market 40 (or so) years ago as there are now.

Things we tried:

- wrapping my finger in a cold, wet washcloth and using that to massage sore gums while they chewed away. Warning: this hurts your fingers.
- solid plastic chew/teething toys - big plastic keys on a ring, vinyl books, etc. Just watch out for small things that can become a choking hazzard.
- We also kept Nighttime Baby Orajel on hand for when everything else failed. We used this option sparingly because, like everything else you rub on the gums, it wears off.

But, I digress...the real issue seems to be that you and your hubby disagree about what to do for your daughter while she is teething. Talk among yourselves and figure out what works best for you and your family. It seems that you each have been down the teeting road and have particular ideas of what to do. Now, you get to combine those ideas into something that you both can do together? Just a guess.

Then, before you know it, it'll be time to start talking about potties and bathrooms and all that great stuff!

Good luck to you and your family! As you know, enjoy that baby because they only get bigger! They don't get smaller! Oh, and take lots of pictures of that toothless grin!

Mom of Andrew (almost 8) and Renee 5.

Motrin and teething biscuits - I admire that you are trying to go natural, but when it hurts, it hurts. Tylenol works for my son for minor pain, but teething - he only feels better with Motrin. He didn't take to the teething rings at all.

Try taking a washcloth and freezing it and giving it to her to suck on. My son loved that as well.

With the doc's okay, of course, I would skip the home remedies and go with Tylenol and Motrin for baby. Poor thing is in pain and doesn't know how to tell you. You can stack the two if needed, but ask your ped for the correct doses. Don't make her suffer...I know it's not 'natural' but neither is the pain of a jagged bone pushing through your mouth!

Check with your pedicatrician. I have used baby ambesol or baby orajel for all four of my children. They got relief, but suffered no ill effects. They are all 24 and older and doing well. i also dipped my finger in whiskey and applied it to their gums. This also helped relieve the pain.

I used to use the teething tablets and baby orajel. However, I didn't use it all the time. I liked to bake them teething cookies. They'll provide relief and they'll help her cut her teeth too. I liked to freeze them...the cold helps and they'll keep longer.

There is an Italian recipe called Ossi Dei Morti (bones of the dead). It's a great cookie both for teething and coffe dunking! I grew up on 'em and then made them for my kids. It takes time because you need to let the dough sit over night then you bake, baby can get messy too but it's worth it to let your little one have something to relieve the pain...and it's tasty!

Here is a recipe...or you can go online and search as well. Sometimes my dough somes out a bit sticky and forming the logs is tricky...in that case I'll just form the cookes by hand then let them sit.

Happy teething!!!

Ossi Dei Morti

INGREDIENTS

3 eggs
2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

DIRECTIONS
In a medium bowl, whip the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer at high speed. Mix for 6 to 10 minutes, until mixture is thick and pale. Combine the flour and baking powder together. Gradually add the flour to the egg mixture. If the dough is still sticky, you can add more flour.
On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into long log shapes, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter, and as long as your cookie sheet. Cover with a clean towel, and let them sit out overnight.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Remove the rolls of dough from the cookie sheets and place them on a lightly floured surface. Cut into 1 1/2 inch long pieces. And return them to the baking sheets.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until they are a light brown. Remove from baking sheets to cool on wire racks.

1 / 3