Infant Teething

my daughter is getting her first tooth/teeth in... i can feel it breaking through the gums. she's been pretty fussy in the evenings and i'm sure it's probably the teething. is it okay to use orajel? other suggestions? i've tried using infant motrin but that hasn't seemed to make a difference.

Hi Kim. My daughter has been cutting a lot of teeth lately, it can be a stressful time for mommy and child. we resently had a Doctors appointment and was told that they were advising against oragel. It not only numbs the gums, but also the throat and has been associated with choking incidents. Although it helped we stopped using it, we were told to try and stick with tylenol for comfort.
Hope this is useful.

Yes, there is baby orajel. Also try Highlands teething tablets. I asked at the pharmacy at Walmart and they had them.

Baby Orajel is ok, my son didn't like it at all and it didn't seem to do anything for him. I used tylenol for the pain and let him chew on just about anyhting that seemed to feel good. He really liked wet washclothes. And he likes just about any fabric to chew on, he's a little different. Just try everything until you find what works.

You might try Hyland's Teething Tablets. I tried it on my last child when he was cutting his molars. It worked great. I wished I would have known about them when my first two were teething. I would recommend it. Good luck! K. U.

I've heard that teething tablets are much more effective than orajel

Use only baby oragel, not regular. The regular stuff has alcohol in it that will burn the tender gums before it numbs them. Also chewing on a cold uncooked carrot or a cold wash cloth sometimes sooths.

We use teething tablets too. They seem to work really well. I have heard and I am not sure if it is really true or not but orajel isn't really a great think to give a child because it numbs the whole mouth and could cause the baby to choke. I wouldn't know because I have never used it. You might want to see what the ped recommends. If you can alternate tylenol and ibprofen that seemed to work well for us too! Good Luck!

It is fine to use orajel on your daughter. It is also ok to give her tylenol/motrin for the pain. Orajel numbs the gums providing instant relief, but tylenol provides a longer lasting releif. There is also something else you can use, in place of the orajel. They are called Hyland's teething tablets. They are GREAT! They dissolve in the babies mouth and give immediate relief, without the yuck taste of a numbing gel, and also, since it doesn't numb the gums, they don't start to slobber all over! We found them at our Walmart in the Pharmacy dept. Just ask for them! I very much love these for my kids.

Hi Kim
I used Hylands Teething Tablets. available at Walmart, they are very small tabs that disenegrate when they hit the mouth and they always seemed to help my fussy boys while they were teething. Orajel works to....cold teething rings too! Hang in there, it's hard work getting those teeth in!

My little one never got one at a time, her's came in 2 and 4 at a time so I would use Tylenol every six hours and then Hylands Teething Tablets (one dose) before going to bed. Be prepared they sometimes get ear infections when they start teething. If you use the ear thermometer you can sometimes tell if one site gives you a higher reading than the other (at least that is my key). Good luck

1 / 3