Teething - Dover, DE

My almost 6 month old daughter is teething. She drools all day. I keep a bib on her so that she isnt soaking through her clothes however, she soaks through her bib in no time. The other issue is her neck is getting irritated from being wet all of the time. Prior to putting her to bed I have been putting vaseline on her neck to help with the irritation. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks to everyone for their advice. In order to get the rash cleared up I put Hydrocortisone on her neck one night prior to her going to bed. It cleared it up almost immediately. I am putting Aquafor by Eucerin on during the day in the hopes that it won't happen again. The rash didn't seem to bother her at all but boy was it ugly. I am also swapping out her bibs when they get saturated. Thanks again.

Try a plastic backed bib (they make BPA free versions). You can also put her in layers so you can just strip off the wet hoodie (for example) for another one and she'll still have a dry onesie next to her skin.

Don't worry this phase will pass soon enough. In the mean time try Calendula gel on her neck. It can be found at most health food stores, I would put it on all day long.
Take care, S.

Take care, S.

Bet she's cute! I have two ideas. One is to powder her neck every morning, just to give her a little layer of protection. The other is to change the bib frequently, all the time. I went to the local department store and bought a pack of cheap bandanas, and used those instead of bibs. Cheaper, cuter, very washable and soft. Good luck!

During the day, frozen washcloths and Hyland's teething tablets

For night time, Hyland's teething tablets, Tylenol, and a little Orajel (used sparingly, a little goes a long way) all used together will give her tremendous relief

It's the pain that makes their mouths water, so if you can combat the pain, you can combat most of the drool.

To help with neck irritation, I would use a little corn starch. You don't want to use baby powder, because it has talc in it and my pediatrician said something about that not being good for them (but I can't remember what she said). The corn starch will help relieve the wetness that is causing the irritation.

I know this is a bit late but a quick suggestion. Carter's sells a dribble happy bib. It is SOOO GREAT!!! My son started teething at three months and wore a bib constantly! we never got to see all his cute clothes he got. but anywho, they are really cute, sold for boys, girls, or unisex. THey have the protectant plastic inbetween the cloth so you dont see it and it does not irrate the baby's skin. HOpe this helps a bit.

a little bit of powder and change the bib often. make sure you wash the neck often though as it can become sore and crusty from the powder. vaseline is good as well.

I'd try to keep the area as dry as possible -- wipe it with a soft, dry cloth (like a burp cloth), change her bib often. Some Eucerin lotion or Aquafor might help with the irritation, but you can check with your pediatrician just in case.

1 / 3