Teething - San Bruno, CA

Hello ladies
I have a little girl she is 6 months old now. she already has two little teeth. I think two more starting to come in... I mention this to someone today at my son's school and to my suprise she recommend to use Voka instead of Baby Oragel. The diretions were to put some Voka on my finger tip and rub it all over her gums, just the same way the I would do it with the Baby Oragel. Hmmm .. Then other mother join in and she said she use whiskey when her little girl was teething. Wow Hmmm.. They both said it better than using Oragel and the affect it faster and better.
My question is I have never hear of this before not even from my gran mother. I would like to know if any of you have done this? Has it worked for you? Will this affect the baby is since it alcohol?

Thanks
Curious Mom ;-)

Thanks ladies for your feed back.

My husband used to do that to my step son and he was fine with it. I think that it would be good to do. Just a little bit and it is fine.

Hi, there. I have heard of people using those methods before and some people say it works really well. i have tried the oragel before and I didn't like it because it numbs the pain for a very little amount of time. my pediatrician recommend to give my little one tylenol or motrin, and give my baby a teething ring. that's what i have been doing and seems to be working pretty well.

The best thing out there for teething is Hyland's Teething Tablets. They're homeopathic and dissolve instantly under the tongue.
My understanding is Orajel just wears off due to their drooling.
The teething tablets have been a life saver for me!

L.,

I think using alcohol was more acceptable back when we were babies, fortunately for us now, there are alternatives. My son just turned 1 and has 7 teeth, I swear by the Hylands Teething Tablets. You can pick them up at any super market. You just let a couple dissolve in their mouth and it offers almost instant relief! Of course when it got really bad and he was getting 3 teeth all at once, a dose of infants tylenol or motirn came in pretty handy too! Hope my advice is helpful to you....have a great day!

Hi L., personally I feel that the orajel works great! I had a tooth ache at one time, couldn't find the adult one, used my son's and wow, it totally numbed the area!! The freezer otter pops work great too, they are big and long so they fit in thier hands and you don't have to worry about them chocking. My mother-in once told me about beef jerky, I never tried it though. I had heard about the alcohol, I am hispanic, it is inevitable to hear from one relative or another about using it. Not to offend any other chicano's though. In the long run, it's up to you.

Steph

This is what women did in the "old days". I'm surprised that your Grandma never heard of it. It does effect the baby- alcohol is a poison. As for Orajel, I tried it with my first baby & he hated it, so I tried it in my mouth & found out why- it tastes horrible & causes an uncomfortable tingling sensation. I highly recommend Hyland's Homeopathic Teething Tablets. They worked very well for both my sons, are made from 100% natural ingredients, and cause no side effects. I get them from the baby aisle at Vons, but have also found them at other markets in the natural products aisle.

Hi L.. My grandma used to say this too....but I'd strongly caution you because of CPS. They might not think it's such a good idea.
When my son went through the teething stage, I asked his doctor about the baby orajel. He told me under no circumstances to use it! It thickens the baby's gums and actually makes it harder to push the teeth through. So although it may work to take the current pain away, it makes it worst in the long run.
I do have a point, bear with me! lol. I finally came across the teething tablets. They are not harmful to your baby, they have NO side effects, and they dissolve instantly in your baby's mouth so you don't have to worry about choking. Trust me, they take away the pain fast. It even says on the label that your child may sleep after taking them because the pain is finally gone and they can rest.
I buy the Hyland's Teething Tablets from Wal-Mart. I hope this helps you and I really hope you will try the tablets first. Take to your ped. I bet he (or she) has heard of these and will agree with me. Good luck. Write me and let me know how this worked for you. Best Wishes, T.

My daughter had a very, very hard time with her second tooth and the only thing that worked was tylenol before bed, or a nap otherwise we just tried to keep her occupied so she didn't think about the pain and that actually worked the best. Be careful with the hyland as it does contain lactose and your child may be lactose intolerent. We tried that with our daughter but she would get ill and puke every time we did. I would suggest talking to your doctor before trying any drug weather it's orajel, teething tablets or tylenol.

Hi L.! I wouldn't give your baby any alcohol!! That's such an "old way" of doing things. my parents swore on it, but it's not safe. My kids didn't have too much of a hard time with teething, but on the days that were worse I gave them childrens tylenol (especially before bedtime). My kids also liked to suck on ice chips. Make sure you don't give big pieces though because they could choke. I would crush the ice very well (kinda like shaved ice). It would pretty much melt the instant it hit their mouths, but it felt great! Someone earlier mentioned a frozen washcloth, that's great too. good luck and let us know how you're doing!! :o)

It will absolutely have an effect on the baby due to the alcohol content. I have a 18 month old and would strongly advise that you avoid anything of that sort. My child also had a difficult time (and still does) during teething periods. I have found a frozen washcloth, baby oragel (which you spoke of), Infant Tylenol (when necessary due to a fever they may aquire), but #1 recommendation (medication wise) Teething Tablets made by Hylands. It is 100% natural and worked wonders for my son. COMFORT (sounds simple) but can be your best tool during this period also. In the long run, though alcohol may calm a child it also can cause a huge variety of health concerns.
Best wishes to you and your little one.

I havn't heard about the vodka thing, but I also recommend an amber teething necklace and hyland's teething tablets. My baby hasn't needed the tablets since getting her the necklace tho. Teething doesn't seem to bother her much anymore. :)

1 / 3