Teething - Agawam,MA

Hi Everyone. I have an almost 4-month-old baby boy. I think he might be starting to teeth. For about a month now he has been drolling a lot and he sticks his whole fist in his mouth. His doctor had said this was him exploring but the last couple of weeks he takes my hand and bites on it really hard. The past two nights he has been waking every couple of hours and we have to give him is pacifier. We have been blessed and he normally sleep through the night with no interuptions so the past two nights has been out of the ordinary. He had an ear infection a week and a half ago and has been on antibiotics so it should be gone. He has started playing with his ear, but not pulling at it in pain. I've read that all of these are signs of teething but when I feel his gums I don't feel anything. Does anyone have any advice? Thank you so much!!

Hi my name is M. and I am a 23 yr old new mom to a 7 month old who has been teething since he was 2 months old. So I have a little exsperiance with it. My son was drooling something awful and he would chew on anything he could get his hands on which ended up being my hands. So when he was like 41/2 5 months I started to let him have a Zweibeck toast in his high chair and I would sit and watch him very closely (because they can be a choking hazard) and now he has 2 teeth. He is happy all the time and does nothing but laugh he sleeps right through the night and we never have a problem. My advice is never be afraid to let him chew on things like teething rings or the toast, or one of his baby food spoons is a good one too. Thats all the advice I have. Hope something helps!

every baby is different, my oldst daughter was 9 weks old when she got 2 teeth at one time. and there was no signs nothing. i think hes probably teething, and one day they wont be there the next they'll start sticking out. i dont think orajel and that work, cause they just drool it off. give him a cold wet cloth to chew on. he'll feel better.

Hey. I have a 7 yr old & I remember he started biting everything he could find for weeks b4 he had any bumps on his gums. He also tried biting us! We would tap his hand and tell him no then give him a teething toy and shortly the biting of us stopped! As far as the ear infections go, my son got at least 2 w/ every tooth he cut!! No joke! At least 2 w/ EVERY tooth!!!!!! It was horrible I thought they would never stop and they kept him(all of us!) up @ night! Not that I'm trying to scare you(sorry), every child is different especially when it comes to teething!!! I hope I've helped a little and hope I didn't make you worry more!!!!!

Hello M.,
I know you must be a great mom if you are picking up on your baby teething! He is by the way! It can sometimes take months for just one tooth to come through but that does not mean your son does not feel the pain from it. I mean if you do not feel the tooth yet. If I where you I would use a cold wash cloth, teething ring, or any other teething device to let him bite on. If he is in pain you can use baby teething releif or inf. tylenol. Have fun with your new son. Also question things like you have because you are your son's number one advocate.
Keep up the good work,
~J.

sounds like teething to me.. it can take a long time to feel something though, but your little one is feeling it... just give him safe things to chew on.. they do this for a long time, my kids both started early but didn't pop a tooth out until 9 months old...

I agree that it could certainly be a sign that the ear infection is not gone, so they should look at that first once he is through full course of antibiotics. Even if he is done with that, he could have a little excess fluid in his ears or eustachian tubes (they drain from ears to throat) that is giving him some irritation.

But you are right in suspecting teething, long before they start to show up on the gums they can irritate some little ones. Either way, this mild irritation may take a little while before he is completely over it, and he'll probably be a little fussy. It comes and goes. ;)

Try Hyland's Teething Tablets. They are homeopathic & work wonders. They dissolve in a matter of seconds once you place it in your sons mouth (no worries for choking), or if you are paranoid like myself, just dissolve a few tabs in a bottle of water. They were my little miracle pills. I used to buy mine at Brooks Pharmacy, however some CVS' carry them as well.
Hope that helps & good luck.

Hi you could bring him in for a follow up for his ear infection. But maybe he really is teething. Babies can be teething before anything pops out of the gum area. Good luck

1 / 3