Teething - Bedford Hills,NY

my 9 mnth old is teething. can anyone recommend a safe (perhaps notmade in China) teething ring for him to chew on?

My kids never liked those things. EVER. I've heard take a face cloth wet it and stick it in the fridge. That works. Plus the face cloth will suck up all the slobber.

I froze damp washcloths in different shapes (long and twisted, square) and my son loved the different ways he could hold them and shove them in his mouth. Also, you don't have to worry about pieces coming off and choking. Good luck ~ teething lasts forever! My son is getting his 2 yr. molars!

I used a washcloth. Dampen a washcloth, put it in the freezer for 10-15 mins and my 3 kids loved it...

A frozen wash cloth was always a favorite - wet, squeeze out, and freeze a few for later! :)

thesoftlanding.com has safe teethers: http://www.thesoftlanding.com/bpafrte.html

they reviewed the giraffe a little while back and it got rave reviews (though expensive).

try nova natural toys http://www.novanatural.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.52/.f
they have some nice wooden ones. we have one. nice quality.

Try frozen fruit in one of those mesh feeders. Frozen bagels and whole adult carrots are great for them to pass the time with. Wet and freeze the pacifier for bed time. You can also research homeopathic teething tablets and see if that is a route you'd like to follow. Old school style, try a dab of whiskey if ll else is failing.There are also blankets made with 2 corners made just for gnawing, check this website and perhaps this might be an option for you. http://www.greatbabyproducts.com/Teething_Blanket_p/munc-...

Believe it or not, the silver rings work really well. Obviously, ones from Tiffany's are pricy, but I bought a silver plated rattle from Buy Buy Baby that my daughter gnaws on constantly. You could give one of those a try. HTH

I heard an herbalist speak at a Holistic Moms meeting. She recommended that you dip large gauze squares in chamomile tea, roll them up, and freeze them. I did this, and put them in a ziploc freezer bag. My 5 month old son liked them. I think you have to supervise, though, because they are not big like some of the teethers you find in the stores and there's a potential choking hazard. The chamomile is an anti-inflammatory. If you don't want to use the gauze, you could probably use a washcloth or dip one of those organic cotton teethers. If you're looking for something you can travel with, look for the Razberry silicone teether. I got one at Buy Buy Baby. It looks like a giant bumpy pacifier.It's made in China, but it's silicone, not plastic, so I think that means there are no issues with phthalates and BPA. www.rasbery.com is the website. At my shower I received a teether by a company called Baby King. Made in China, but label says "no phthalates." Also check websites like mommasbaby.com. There's a cloth string bean teether that they recommend.

Why don't you try one of those mesh bags for food, put a piece of frozen apple in the bag and let your child chew away!

you don't need a teething ring, just wet a washcloth with cold water, ring it out and give it to him.

Actually, there are these really neat little net things that you can put frozen pieces of fruit or ice cubes in that are meant for teething. It has a handle on it for the children to hold and its too big for them to put the whole thing in their mouthes. The netting is pretty tight that I don't even think a tiny seed could get thru it, which is nice. This way it tastes good, which will make them more likely to keep chomping down, it's cold so you know if feels good for them and it's BPA and lead paint free! And they get a couple of fruit servings a day!

Try frozen mini bagels. My twins love them! My daughter won't use teething rings and this was the only thing that worked. I also tried frozen washcloths twisted so they can hold them. One liked this one didn't! Hope this helps.

I do agree with everybody else. I always used cold washcloths. They really do work. I have also used homepathic pellets. I forgot the name of them. Well good luck

if you live near a whole foods, they sell teething stuff that is non toxic..

My pediatrician suggest I buy or make mini bagels, freeze them, then give the baby one to chew on. I used it until it starts to break away then either toss it or refreeze it, depending on its condition. I found that making them was much cheaper and I could make different shapes. Hope this helps.
Hugs,

Oh, I am so glad I found this message you sent, L.. I am a mother of three boys. The best thing I do for them when teething was give them Teething Tablets. I have seen them in Wal Mart now and you should be able to get them in Hannaford depending where you are. The Teething Tablets are natural and great for them. They have the Teething Gel but I have not tried it for them and I don't know how good they are compared to the tablets and the tablets dissolve instantly when in contact with water or saliva. I know that anything taken under the tongue works best so that is what I have done and do still. Some people try different things, but that was the best I have found when not worrying about wash cloths frozen and what about germs and so forth and tablets soothes their gums and they feel they can rest at the point and perhaps sleep because it's no longer hurting them. Again, it's natureal and try that..Let me know if you have any questions....God bless you and your family.

2 ideas that aren't real teething rings......Freeze a wet face cloth and let him teeth away. My kids loved this one

Second if you freeze mini bagels they love to teeth on those also. Just make sure to check @ 1/2 hr because they tend to go soft by then.
Good luck! C.

mossy creek makes a lovely wooden one. i got it from kidbean.com -- they are really nice people, mom-owned. whereever you get it from, make sure it's not oiled!

twist up a plain white (clean) wet washcloth and put it in the freezer. Take out when it is frozen and give to baby to "chew" on!

google organic cotton teething rings.

Check website for Under the Nile. They have great cloth teething toys. Especially the carrot and green bean.

Have you tried big carrots? We never used teething rings, but instead used vegetables. Carrots are good, as are most root vegetables, and will give a big of nutrients as well. Get the largest ones you can, and just wash them and keep them cool in the refrigerator. Easy for little hands to hold too

My 10 mth old is still teething.You couls wet the tip of a washcloth and freeze it. The cold will help the pain. I also uses frozen fruits in one of those baby safe feeders. But when all else failed, i used Homeopathic teething tablets. They really helped with the pain and calming her down.
Good luck. !

The best things we used were: 1) a partially wet washcloth put in the freezer for 20 minutes. Our daughter could really chew on it and it was easy for her to manipulate and get in and around her gums. 2) a mesh feeder filled with frozen fruit or an ice cube. She should chomp away happily on it, and again, it was easy for her to manipulate.

frozen bagels, and those giant frozen soft pretzels

also the biter biscuits that you get at the market also serve for teething....they are hard enough not to break, but taste so yummy that it pushes on those lil teeth, and the baby tries harder bc they desperately want that cookie.

I would use a cold washcloth.