Teaching Toddler His Facial Features

I want to start teaching my son where to find his eyes, nose, mouth, etc... Other than pointing and repeating the facial feature - what are other ways of teaching him these skills? I have been trying for a couple of weeks now to get him to understand where his nose is located and all he does is smile and laugh at me.

Are there methods that Im just not aware of? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Thanks for all the advice. My son loves us reading to him so I think Im going to try the book and continue to point and repeat.

Hi L.
Try using a mirror as you explain where the parts are. You can also use a book that has a boy/girl with complete parts that you can point to or you can also use a doll, if you have one. He's 15 months, he'll pick it up pretty soon.

PJ

There are some great books out there, Peek a Boo Baby is one that comes to mind, and the author Karen Katz. Always cheaper on Amazon.com or Walmart than a regular bookstore :)

Hi L.

PJ

We played a game with a sheet of cheap little stickers. I'd tell them to put a sticker on their nose (or mommy's), etc. If they didn't know, I'd put one on myself and/or them. It gets to be quite funny and my boys loved it!

Don't make a big deal out of it. Use it in everyday language, such as "let's wipe your nose", or "my nose itches" and scratch it. Or "there's a tear on your cheek" and wipe it off...

maybe add in fake sneezes with your nose and talk about his nose and sneezing. Also, you could add in smells. You could use flowers, food, perfume, etc and talk about how his 'nose' smells things. Ask him to smell them and say, "do you smell that with your 'nose'?"...then ask him over and over, do you 'see' with your eyes and smell with your 'nose'? Say, "show mommy how you smell? show mommy your nose" :o) have fun! He may be just being silly with you....

I would suggest trying this book by Baby Einstein called "Baby da Vinci My Body". The book is about teaching body parts and facial features and my son always loved it. Each page has a mirror on it. It has fun pictures of monkeys that you can first point out the features on them, then show him his features in the mirror. Good luck!

thats honestly the best way to do it. we started that with our daughter when she was less than 18 months and and we are now up to arm pits and calfs. not just nose and mouth keep working it will click

My daughter loved the head-shoulders-knees and toes song. She loves music and singing in general but it was a good way to expose her to body parts. She also liked point to the body parts on her stuffed animals and babies. She would point to a body part I named long before she could say any of them but it took a little while for her to get the hang of it. Just keep doing what you're doing, if he's laughing it sounds like a great game!

1 / 3