Teaching Kids to Swallow Pills

Do any of you have new ideas for teaching kids how to take pills? My 9 yr old and 12 yr old both still cannot. Tried using Tic-Tac's - letting them dissolve partially and then swallow when they get smaller. They can't do it with Tic-Tac's. Tried same with mini-M&M's - swallowing when still intact but really small. They both cannot do it - feel like they will choke on it. Any ideas? They can't keep using Tylenol meltaways as a teen/high schooler. Thank you!!

My mom taught my sister to swallow pills by first chewing up a saltine cracker and then placing the pill in her mouth (in the mushed up cracker). This has always worked for her. I, on the other hand, put the water in my mouth first and then the pill. The pill does not stick to my tongue (it just floats in the water), so i dont even know its there! (i still do this & im 36!) good luck

I can't stand swallowing pills. I just avoid it most of the time. You can find liquids and chewables for a lot of things. (I even had chewable pre-natual vitamins). I say give them the liquid till they are at least in high school and then it might be easier to help them or show them.

K. J,
My mom used to not be able to swallow pills & a Dr. told her to put the pill in her mouth & take a drink of water through a straw so that the mouth is shut & the pill is harder to spit out!! It worked for her!! I have an 11 yr. old that can swallow more then one pill at a time & a 9 yr. old that can't get the hang of swallowing pills!! I hope that it works for you!!
L. W.
A SAHM of 4!! 3 girls ages 11, 9 1/2 & almost 4 & one son who is almost 6!!

I have an 11yr old with whom I have not tried the swallowing of pills yet, but will have to soon. I belive when I was younger we used to put the pill as far back as possible, and then just drink the glass of water. Not sure if that will work, but I will probably try that with my daughter.

K. J,
L. W.

I agree, Applesause or yogurt is thick and doesn't need to be chewed, so it is easy to swollow a pill with a mouth full. (p.s...A nurse sugested this to me when I was in the Hospital with my 2nd child, I always had problems before that. Now I can handle it.) Best wishes

I was told when I was younger that it works to put the pill on the back of your tongue and then quickly guzzle a glass of water. Sometimes with a large amount of water you cannot feel the pill going down. I don't take pills very often, but it works for me.

My daughter had to take medication every day when she was in first grade. We put her pill in a small spoonful of applesauce, yogurt or ice cream. Just double check with the doctor or pharmacy it is ok, he said as long as she was taking it right away it was fine.

I had trouble learning to swallow pills as a child, and my mom found me a small plastic cup that had a little ridge built into the rim of it where you are supposed to set the pill. I guess it helps flip it back into your mouth as the water rushes in from the cup.

I also still tend to put the pill under my tongue, and then drink my water, then flip the pill towards the back of my throat with the tip of my tongue. Good Luck.

I wish I had some good solutions for you. But I have the same problem as your kids. I cannot swallow a pill. I even chewed up some food and swallowed with the pill in my mouth. The food went down the pill did not.

All I can really do is wish you luck. It's no fun not being able to swallow pills.

Okay maybe I'm the meanie, but as soon as they hit the dose of medicines that equal and adult pill I won't buy the liquid or chewable anymore. My five year old can swallow a pill...I just tell her to drink it down or she will taste it. My other child eats them with yogurt. They can do it just don't give them an out.

1 / 3