Teaching 3 Year to How to Call 911 in Case of Emergency

I have a 3 year old son. He is very smart for his age. I would like to teach him how to call 911 in case of emergency's. How is the best way to go about doing that? I am worried he will try to call 911 all the time. thanks!

T.,
Don't worry when my kids first found out about 911 they had to try it out. Believe me the operators are very understanding.

My children (including the 4 year old) have been told that they should only call 911 for certain reasons. I tell them that if it is not an emergency and they call, they could be making it harder for someone who really needs help to get help. That makes sense to them, and they know they would want help quickly if they needed it. Sometimes I go so far as to tell them that if they prank call the police, a police officer might show up at our door and tell them not to. That has worked every time. :-)

My 4 yr. old son received a book about 911 situations and a phone dial that spoke for his birthday. He loves the book and understands the verbage. Luckily he has not attempted to call 911 just to see what happens yet. The book was purchased from Babies R Us. Good luck!

Hi T. S

I'm a mother of 4. My suggestion if to see do he understand what you mean by the word emergency and I think that is great that you want to make sure he knows that.

I have a son who is also 3...I told him to hit the talk button and dial 911 if mommy or daddy is ever really hurt or needs help...he has never tried to dial it just for fun...i told him he never calls 911 except in those cases...good luck!

There is a great kids book called, Impatient Pamela Calls 911. It gives examples of when NOT to dial 911 and when to dial 911. It has helped my four year old learn about calling 911. Hope that this helps!

My two year old daughter did call 911 for me! We were in a hotel room and I took a shower. The doorknob broke and I was stuck in the bathroom and could not get out! I was terrified that she would just walk out of the hotel room. It was the kind with an atrium and we were on the 15th floor. Well, needless to say it was a very scary situation for me.

Through the door, I asked her to pick up the phone and dial a 9, then a 1 and then another 1. Then I told her when someone answered, she should say "Help." She did and within minutes we were reunited! YAY! It was Christmas-time and the hotel had a horse-drawn carriage so we took a ride in the snow to celebrate.

That said, I have heard many stories of children being taught to call 911 and then proceeding to do so when no emergency was present. I just checked google and guess what? You are in luck! There is a board book called It's Time to Call 911: What to Do in an Emergency (I put the link to the site below). It has a touch-tone keypad and looks like a perfect tool to help you with your request. Hope this helps, S.

http://www.amazon.com/Its-Time-Call-911-Emergency/dp/1591...

T.,

my 4 year old son just got a book from his great-grandmother at christmas called It's Time To Call 911. It actually has buttons with the numbers on it and you push 911 and it calls the fire department etc. It teaches them what to say and how to dial te telephone. He actually loves it. It's published by Smart Kids Publishing and the website on the book is www.pentonoverseas.com. He absolutely loves it. sorry I can't tell you where she got it b/c recently in the past two weeks passed away. hope this helps

1 / 3