Teacher Gifts

I feel kind of silly asking this question, but I am having a really hard time trying to figure out what to do. I am a very giving person, however this year money is really tight and what I need to do is figure out how I will give my kids a christmas this year! I have 3 kids all in school, my daughter has her regular teacher plus a helper, my son has his regular teacher with 2 helpers, and in my younger sons preschool class he has 3 teachers. Plus I would always give to the bus drivers as well which would be 2 different bus drivers....WHAT IN THE WORLD DO I DO? I want to show my appreciation with all they do, however I just can't afford to buy 8 teacher gifts, plus 2 bus driver gifts. And you always here different things that teachers appreciate, HELP...I need ideas without being really cheap if you know what I mean!!

Hi L.! You sound a lot like me... I give to the crossing guards near us as well! ha,ha Anyway, one thing you could do is get hot cocoa packets (buy a couple of boxes and give each teacher a couple of them with a bag of homemade cookies, candy cane, some hershey kisses and maybe a ziploc bag of mini marshmallows along with a nice card. - under $15 to give to approximately 10 people! good luck!

Last year we made a donation to a charity in the name of my childrens teacher. We picked a cancer charity, since two of her family members were diagnosed in the past year.

Place like Justgive.org you can buy them a gift card, and they can chose which charity the money goes to. (I believe that is how is works, you probably should do a little research)

We did PreventCancer.com last year. The monetary amount was never disclosed to the teachers. It was just a "donation."

The gift touched them so much, they were nearly in tears. And giving to others is really the spirit of the season.

Happy Holidays!

I usually make a donation directly to the school for large upcoming expense in the name of the teacher(s)or to a charity which will send them a note saying a donation was made in their behalf. As for the bus drivers I usually give a hand made card with a gift card to the local supermarket (everyone needs to eat)

L.,
I have the same problem, my son is 12 and has 8 teachers and my 9 year old son has a teacher and a helper. What I have decided to do is for Justin's team of teachers I am making tins or platters of homemade cookies for his teachers and for his 4 main teachers and the band teacher (who is a family friend)I will probably do jars filled with chocolate dipped pretzels or something. For Derek's teacher I am making her a stuffed 3-D Christmas tree with his help plus a jar with layered cookie dough and directions printed on the outside. All in all it shouldn't be very expensive to do and they love it. I have done this in the past with my older 3 kids and found that the teachers appreciate it much more. Justin is in a magnet school, the teachers are beyond fantastic so it is killing me I can't do more for them, but we all have to cut back.
Hugs,

Homemade gifts for teachers are great! (I teach Kindergarten!) Go to http://familyfun.go.com/ to find some really neat gifts that are easy, cheap and your kids and you will have fun making them. (key chains for the bus driver, ornaments for the teachers, etc.) Enjoy!

I am a teacher of art and see over 500 students every week. I get so many gifts at Christmas time that I spend my whole vacation writing "thank you " notes. Despite the fact that everyone is very generous and thoughtful and I really appreciate that, I really don't get anything I need or want. I have closets full of candles and costume jewelry. I usually pack it all up and donate it to charity. What I never have enough of is time. Why don't you write a hand made "gift certificate" to the teachers, offering to give then each some set hours of your time? Volunteer to spend, for example, 3 hours of your time grading papers, helping children in class, organizing teacher materials, doing classroom displays, cutting out teacher materials or shopping for them? Follow up after the vacation, asking them what day and time they will need you to pick up the work, or come in to do, the work. Helping out will set a good example for your children and demonstrate how much you value what their teachers do. Give the 2 bus drivers a $5.00 gift certificate each to Dunkin' Donuts, and you have only spent $10.00 this year. I promise you, that will be the teachers' favorite gift!

Hi ~ One of "our" parents made a fabulous lunch for us. She set it up in the faculty room with a nice table cloth, plates, the works. Perhaps you could do this with another mom? We all thought it was a great idea!

Happy Holidays!

Make a batch of cookies WITH your kids helping and have them wrap 4-6 cookies for each person in a little box lined with some waxed paper, I bet you can find real cute little boxes at the nearest dollar store. Wrap a ribbon around it (you probably have some ribbon laying around the house, we keep most of the ribbon we receive on gifts to use again) and that's it, simple, sweet, nice and inexpensive! It is the thought that matters, not the value of the gift....and besides receiving a gift made by your kids is alot more meaningful than some useless nik nak people never end up using.
Happy Holiday's!

On some nice Christmas stationery, write an individual personal letter to each teacher, helper, and bus driver. Decorate the envelope in holiday stickers, or even tie a colorful ribbon, with a little bow around it. Your sincere, heartfelt words of thanks and appreciation are a meaningful GIFT too!...that will touch their hearts. If you still feel that is not enough, enclose a flat, folded, pretty cotton handkerchief as well, as a small token gift.

1 / 3