Teacher - Child Ratio

What is a good teacher to child ratio for toddler classes? (18 months) I found a daycare that I like and they say they take up to 9 toddlers per teacher. I know that is the legal amount but just wanted to get everyone's thoughts.

The childcare center my son goes to is a 6 to 1 ratio for the 18 month old classes. It go up to 8 to 1 when they move up to the Level II classes which is still a very low ratio. This is the only school I have seen with such a low ratio. The school is Bent Tree Child Development Center and they have a great toddler program. They are located off Addison Road near Trinity Mills and the Tollway. Phone # is ###-###-####. I hope this helps. Most daycares crame as many kids as the state allows in a classroom. I feel this is just plain wrong and remember the state ratios are minimum standards!

Primrose School of Forest Creek only has 5 children to 1 teacher maxing out with 12 children and 2 teachers. I would not have my child in the 9/1 like you were talking about

I honestly believe 6 to 1 is best with toddlers. I'm licensed for 8 children in my home daycare; but two have to be school-aged.

We are limited to 4 children under the age of 18 months but only six children total, in that instance, and that's with 1 teacher or caregiver.

http://www.missBrenda.com

Ratio is very important. I brought my boys to a daycare that was at its limit and there was chaos all the time. Especially at that age. The new daycare has 6 to 1. Some times less because many of the kids were part time. Even now at almost 3 years of age. They have 9 to 1.

That is the state ratio from licensing. However, if you find a NAEYC accredited program they will probably have a lower child-to-teacher ratio. To find the ratio standards for NAEYC I believe you can just go to their website.

M., That is the state ratio for 18months. They are looking into lowering the age. Most schools operate at state ratios. If you have a good teacher it should be fine, it's all in who the staff are in the class. This also means that if there are 10,11,12 you will have two teachers in the room. Most centers try to have just a few over in order to get the lower ratios.

I used work at Daycare center. Most Daycare Center seems like high Ratio. some Daycare. I sould have only 4 Infant bymyself but some time over ratio. The Daycare didn't care. Even I told I have over Ratio. I used worked Bright Horizon. The toddler class is Five Toddler-One Teacher. ten Toddler to two teacher. and They are very good to keep The ratio.The center is NAEYC Accredited. I really like the center. check this site http://www.brighthorizons.com/Site/Pages/index.aspx

I agree w/ the person who said it's all in the teacher. My kids all went through a todds class that was 9/1 and it was never a problem. they are now 2, 4 and 6 and they are just fine. People who think ratio is a driving factor are not being realistic about the atmosphere of the class. You can have stories both ways, but I agree that it is the teacher. I have seen classes and centers w/ very low ratios and I'm not impressed w/ the teacher. Of course, it looks less chaotic b/c there aren't any kids! That doesn't mean the teacher is doing their job. I would check it out and speak directly to the teacher and observe. If they have a problem letting you observe, you need to go somewhere else.

1 / 3