Teacher Apperciation Gift Ideas

Hi Moms
I am in need of some ideas to show my sons teacher that I GREATLY appericate all of the things she has done this year to help my son. He has had a lot of trouble going from 2nd grade to 3rd grade and she has been wonderful in helping me help him. She also was my favorite teacher when I was a child so I already thought pretty highly of her. Thanks for your advice. T.

Thank You for all of Your great ideas. I gave her a gift card to a nice resturant and a heart felt letter from me and my son telling her how much she was apperciated. Thank You:)T.

As a teacher, I would say that gift certificates are very nice. Maybe for a local coffee shop or movie rental type place just as a couple of ideas.

I get my son's teachers gift certificates either to go out and eat or to a school supply store because all the little extras in the classroom have to come out of the teachers pockets

As a second grade teacher, I will tell you two things that I love receiving. One is a note from the parents and/or student saying what they appreciate about me. A teacher is a like a mom-a tough job that is underappreciated. Two, I love gift cards! Teachers don't get paid well and gift cards to Target, restuarants, etc are great!

On another note, things teachers often do not need/want are: #1 teacher knick-knacks, candles....

Hi T.,
I have a son that just turned 9 also. Last year my sons 2nd grade teacher was great, not just with my son but the whole class. To show her how much she meant to us and the class I asked her if she would mind leaving the classroom for a half-in-hour that I had something special planed for her. The next week I went in to the class and explained all the nice and good things that she had done for them and asked if they want to make a video about her. They all loved the idea. I took each student aside and asked them to say how they felt about her. Then at the end all the kids said thank-you Mrs.Anderson we love you and will miss you next year. When I went and got her back in the classroom she watched it. She had alot of laughs,but also alot of tears. She said she would keep that tape for the rest of her life. Out of all the years teaching she never had anyone do anything like that for her. It meant the world to her she said. That made it all worth it.

I like to give gift certificates to a nice local restraunt. They can use it for lunch or towards a dinner out. Our teachers work hard and I think its a nice jester to show that we know they need a break too.

Teachers need a night out and to relax just like us moms do. We like to give bath stuff, candles, and gift cards to restaurants. Since she is so special to you and your family you may want to add in a teacher's survival kit with your gift. Here is an example...

Teacher's survival kit
Contained.......to help you survive teaching

toothpick - to help you "pick" out the good qualities in others and yourself
crayon - to color you day bright and cheerful
Hersheys Hugs and Kisses - for when you need a hug
candle - when you're up late grading papers
eraser - to remind you everyone makes mistakes
rubberband - to remind you to be flexible and try to work on "win-win" situations
string - to tie things together when everything falls apart
pencil - to "write your wrongs"
Marbles - to replace the ones you've lost (we enclosed extra, you'll need them later)
Lifesaver candy - you are a lifesaver to many of your students
paperclip - to hold it all together
jewel - because you are as valuable as any precious stone
and a prayer for you to say at the start of each day
Cup/Mug for when yours is overflowing

I have recipes for handmade bathsalts and soaps if you and your kids would like to make something yourselves. Teachers love homemade gifts from their kids.
http://www.yourfunfamily.com/Hobbies/bathsalts.html
http://www.yourfunfamily.com/Hobbies/soapcrafts.html

http://www.yourfunfamily.com

Last year I bought supplies for ice cream sundaes...everything except the ice cream. I found inexpensive sundae cups, toppings, etc. and gave them as gifts to teachers and the bus driver. It was lots of fun and sort of unexpected. In the past I've done a small cooler full of all the things to make s'mores. Yummy.

How about you ask the office if you can surprise her with a
hour of help from you.

My sons class I had one may day plant flower seeds they could watch grow then give them to her to take home...sunny reminder.

Also we had a tree planting for a teacher at the school, when days was blah the blah sky would bring down on the tree a ray of sun light and you could see she loved life even when she soon passed away or was in a care center or something.

Also maybe a shadow picture of her as your teacher with a now photo of her on top of it.
Or one look out at you photo and a side veiw lookin at the past/future veiw.

Get her a gift certificate for your local spa or for a massage. They are great! And she will appreciate it!

I taught for several years and I agree with those recommending gift certificates (restaurants, bookstores, teacher stores, and movies are all great options). The note is a wonderful gift as well. I'm not sure what other teachers do but I still have a file of the nice notes I received from parents...on days when you are having a hard time it can really "pick you up" to read some of those notes. Cut flowers are also a nice gift. A picture of your child is a nice remembrance but I recommend not giving it in a frame. You can only put up so many pictures of children you've taught but you can make lots of scrapbooks or just include them in your photo albums. It's much easier.

1 / 3